Big 12 expansion - facts and figures

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Commoner
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Big 12 expansion - facts and figures

Post by Commoner »

Yesterday, Bowlsby said the consulting firm, hired by the conference, indicated that expanding to 12 teams, adopting an 8-game conference schedule and hosting a CCG would increase the conference's chance of placing a team in the playoff by 5%.

He also stated that the current TV contract calls for a 9-schedule but it could be renegotiated.

According to Jake Trotter, the consulting firm also evaluated potential candidates.

The current TV contract is pro rated so that the fee would increase proportionally when new members are admitted; the current payouts, to current members, would not diminish.

A CCG could potentially bring in an additional $20M-$25M.

Bowlsby indicated that new members would be on a gradual curve to full distribution (TCU and WVU were on a 4-year curve - 50%, 67%, 83% and 100%). The curve might be longer this time around.

Other revenues (CFP, other bowls, NCAA tourney) range from $75M to $120M+. When the Sugar is not a semi-final, the Big 12 and the SEC each receive $40M (The BIG and PAC-12 have a similar arrangement with the Rose; the ACC gets $27.5M from the Orange). There is no pro rated compensation for having more members.

The Big 12 bylaws require 75% of the members to vote for expansion and a similar vote on any new members.

This week's meeting of the ADs will not result in any action. The presidents/chancellors have the only vote and they meet at the end of the month. It might give us an indication where the Big 12 is going.

EM_Puma
Pro

Re: Big 12 expansion - facts and figures

Post by EM_Puma »

After reviewing CB, I came here in hopes of not finding much of the new round of conference expansion hopes and dreams. It was refreshing that this was the only one.

I still don't see it happening for BYU to the Big 12 and it's all on the Sunday play issue. If they/we are willing for FB only, I could see a chance.

Outside of the Big 12, because of LGBT forces, I don't see any other P5 that would give BYU even a sniff. It's not that they don't see our value (on the issue strait up of butts in chairs, eyes on screen, educational excellence, whole program value), but its the extra cargo that drags BYU down as a viable entity.

We have to find some way to be happy if things continue as status quo.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

BYU will not be invited to join the Big12.

Now you don't have to worry about it all summer long.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

hawkwing wrote:BYU will not be invited to join the Big12.

This is how I look at it.

EM_Puma
Pro

Post by EM_Puma »

BroncoBot wrote:
hawkwing wrote:BYU will not be invited to join the Big12.

This is how I look at it.
Exactly and if we could get cougar fans to begin to chant that mantra, we'll all be much more happier.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

Agreed. The Big 12 should grab BYU, but it won't. No reason for us fans to spend any energy in anticipation for it. Now as for Holmoe, he'll be doing his due diligence to present BYU's case, for what it's worth. But for us fans, we can sit back and enjoy our independent schedule and TV coverage that is second to none.

BYU football will live on without them. 8) ;)

Rise and Shout!

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Couldn't agree more.
I like independence. Even if the b12 were offered, i'd be kinda meh. I mean, that's cool...I guess.
I can't see the exposure being as good, honestly. Better for a few teams, but not the weekly ESPN package.
I get that it would make Tom's and Kalani's job easier, and I'm OK with that. But I'm OK with it not happening too. There's a lot to love about independence.
Rise and shout!

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

I think that BYU will be in a position to decide whether it wants to join the Big 12 or stay independent. I think Memphis is going to be the other invitation to join. These are just thinks that I think.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Nearly all reports agree that Cincinnati is a near lock for the first team in for any Big XII expansion. After that, there's a litany of theories.

What's interesting is that the recent FOIA document production coming out of WVa showed lobbying efforts by Memphis, UCF, Colorado State, and Houston. The two schools named in every expansion conversation but not mentioned in the disclosure? Cincinnati, and BYU.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

snoscythe wrote:Nearly all reports agree that Cincinnati is a near lock for the first team in for any Big XII expansion. After that, there's a litany of theories.

What's interesting is that the recent FOIA document production coming out of WVa showed lobbying efforts by Memphis, UCF, Colorado State, and Houston. The two schools named in every expansion conversation but not mentioned in the disclosure? Cincinnati, and BYU.
I hope the silence is deafening. And I hope I will still be able to watch BYU games if we get into the Big XII. Independence has been great for my access on the cheap.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.