Big 12 Expansion at 15%

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BOID
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Big 12 Expansion at 15%

Post by BOID »

scott715 wrote:I would love to ask the Pope why they play on the Sabbath.
:lol: ;)

I have to agree with Hawk. The religious affiliation will keep us out. We're not just some ordinary Protestant sect. We're considered to be kooky Mormons. I don't think that the Big 12 can rise above their fears and suspicions.

Independence is cool. We're not "Group of Five," and we're not "Mid Major." We are a Major Independent, and a competitive one at that. 8)

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

In all seriousness I would love to ask Mormon athletes why they don't play on the Sabbath during college (at BYU) but it's suddenly ok to do so at the pro level. Sure, they got to feed their family. That constitutes breaking the commandment?

I've been very "blessed" to have a M-F job but that is also what I sought for. As I contemplate starting my own business rule #1 is I will not be open on Sundays. I'm not trying to sound holier than thou, but I just don't understand the justification for a pro Mormon athlete competing on Sundays..

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

byufan4ever wrote:
In all seriousness I would love to ask Mormon athletes why they don't play on the Sabbath during college (at BYU) but it's suddenly ok to do so at the pro level.
Easy -- they never get the opportunity to make that decision at BYU. I'm betting 90%+ of scholarship athletes at BYU competed on Sundays in high school, pee-wee, little leagues, AAU, etc. before coming to BYU. I doubt Sunday play is much of a factor in any athletes choosing to come to BYU or not to. It's just part of the fabric here that they don't have to think about.

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

byufan4ever wrote:
In all seriousness I would love to ask Mormon athletes why they don't play on the Sabbath during college (at BYU) but it's suddenly ok to do so at the pro level. Sure, they got to feed their family. That constitutes breaking the commandment?

I've been very "blessed" to have a M-F job but that is also what I sought for. As I contemplate starting my own business rule #1 is I will not be open on Sundays. I'm not trying to sound holier than thou, but I just don't understand the justification for a pro Mormon athlete competing on Sundays..
It's an interesting question, for sure. Some of our athletes don't go pro to avoid playing on the Sabbath; others are not bothered by it, and have probably become a net positive for the church in terms of positive publicity, regardless of how it has affected their personal relationship with God. I honestly don't know what I would have done if I were in the shoes of someone like Steve Young - do I make a statement by refusing to play on Sunday? Or do I do it, set a good example, and use the gobs of money I can earn with my God-given abilities and my personal fame to build up the kingdom of God on the earth? Tough call, and I couldn't make it without being there and praying about it.

Then there are other professions which require working on Sunday (doctors, nurses, police, firefighters, etc), where even if the entire population of the planet was 100% devout Mormon, you'd still need these people to work on Sunday. Others may not have the ability to get a job that supports their family without a Sunday requirement, given their abilities and education. Everyone has to draw a line individually for what work is okay on Sunday and what isn't. The general authorities have given some guidelines about where you draw that line, but every once in a while the Lord asks someone to chop off Laban's head, so to speak, and when he does so it's usually not broadcast to the entire membership. If it were, so many would be looking for their own personal exception to all sorts of commandments.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

byufan4ever wrote:
In all seriousness I would love to ask Mormon athletes why they don't play on the Sabbath during college (at BYU) but it's suddenly ok to do so at the pro level.
Because BYU, being representative of the church, has already made that decision for them, it's not an individual decision while at BYU. Beyond that, it's between them and the Lord.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I like working Sundays. Less car wrecks that day!

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

I think there are two reasons for the difference in Sabbath attitudes between BYU and the pros

1. Like Schmoe said, BYU is making a decision as a representative institution of the Church of Jesus Christ. Individuals are making decisions as a disciple of Jesus Christ. Individuals are given their agency.

2. (and this is by far shakier ground) Collegiate Sport does not come with a paycheck. It is not a required part of a job. It is preparation for a job that may or may not happen. It is not a necessary component of a professional pursuit. Therefore, it is optional. Recognizing that man must live by the sweat of his brow, and that the Sabbath was made for man, the church has generally not come out against positions that require Sunday work. The church itself also makes internal allowances for it for semi-necessary services, like the BYU students who swipe meal cards at the Cannon Center on Sundays, or paying MTC staff for their work on Sundays. The church (that is, BYU and the MTC) does what it can to minimize staff on Sundays. The church encourages members to keep that day holy and to strive to do the best they can to do that. Steve Young talked about gathering with a few other members on the team(s) to have the sacrament and worship on a different day of the week (not unlike the BYU Jerusalem Center having the Sabbath on Saturday).

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

The dream is over.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

They did make one decision so far:

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

Also said that the Big 12 network isn't happening.