Is Taysom really the more explosive QB?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BlueK
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Is Taysom really the more explosive QB?

Post by BlueK »

BroncoBot wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:I tend to agree, but then I wonder if you have considered that Taysom's body itself has exploded 3 times in 4 years here at BYU, so really it's about even if you think about it. Taysom isn't just making explosive plays, he is actually exploding bit by bit. So that's like, a double word bonus or something.
This keeps coming up and I'll keep countering with...

Anyone who took the hits that Taysom received on his injuries (minus the lisfranc) would have also had substantial injuries. Taysom's not made of glass, and he's not made of steel. Mangum may or may not be more "durable" but he certainly wouldn't have come out of that rolled up ankle unscathed. Mangum also had his body let him down (hamstring injury) vs ECU IIRC.
hard for a QB to run in the open field as much as Taysom likes to and not get hurt a lot. It's a hazard of his style. I do think he can be very effective in a more controlled situation a pro-style offense can give him. Steve Young did that.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

BlueK wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:I tend to agree, but then I wonder if you have considered that Taysom's body itself has exploded 3 times in 4 years here at BYU, so really it's about even if you think about it. Taysom isn't just making explosive plays, he is actually exploding bit by bit. So that's like, a double word bonus or something.
This keeps coming up and I'll keep countering with...

Anyone who took the hits that Taysom received on his injuries (minus the lisfranc) would have also had substantial injuries. Taysom's not made of glass, and he's not made of steel. Mangum may or may not be more "durable" but he certainly wouldn't have come out of that rolled up ankle unscathed. Mangum also had his body let him down (hamstring injury) vs ECU IIRC.
hard for a QB to run in the open field as much as Taysom likes to and not get hurt a lot. It's a hazard of his style. I do think he can be very effective in a more controlled situation a pro-style offense can give him. Steve Young did that.
The non-Lisfranc injuries sustained by Taysom were not due to his "style". The first could have happened to any QB on any QB sneak. Why we ran that instead of kneeling down is a coaching question. The second could have happened to any QB scrambling due to pressure and trying to get around the corner. I suppose they would have to be strong enough to resist the first attempt to tackle and make the safety jump on their back like Taysom, but you see LBs and safeties chasing QBs to the boundary all the time, regardless of their style. Taysom has been really, really unlucky. That's about it.

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

So maybe we should just compare the big passing plays. We already know Taysom won the running plays.
The receiving corps would be about even, with Taysom having perhaps a slight advantage (Cody Hoffman is a bit better than Mitch Matthews, though I felt Mitch really progressed his senior year).

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
SenorCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by SenorCougar »

How does Tanner compare to Steve Young? Just curiuos...

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

SenorCougar wrote:How does Tanner compare to Steve Young? Just curiuos...
I don't have play-by-play data for Steve Young to make that comparison.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

CrimsonCoug wrote:Spiff, I always love it when you run some numbers.

I agree with Mars that we'd want to have the number of "explosive" plays normalized to be comparable so we can compare the expected big play potential. But just dividing the total number of explosive plays each has made by the total number of plays, would tell us who has the best body of work. I don't think that's what we want here. Rather, we want to know who to play--part of that decision may be who would be most likely to produce an exploded play. So because the near past is the best predictor of the near future, I suggest that we go back at the same number of most recent plays for each of them. So, for example, if Tanner played 100 snaps in 2015, then we should look at Taysom's most recent 100 snaps. Or if Taysom had 75 snaps between 2015 and 2014, then we should compare those to Tanner's most recent 75 snaps.

Sure that compares a Sr to a Frosh, but that's the point--our choice is to start Taysom as a senior, not Taysom as a freshman.

Thanks, Spiff.
It would probably take a while for me to compile that. But just for comparison's sake, Tanner is likely going to have a MUCH higher "explosive" play to play ratio.

In 2015, BYU ran 915 plays. In 2013 they ran 1,111 plays. So at a minimum Taysom has a huge lead in total plays and plays per game.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

The difference in offensive line play between last year and Taysom Hill's sophomore year is not even comparable. Taysom Hill made magic on multiple occasions on plays where he was running for his life.