Greg Wrubell's Cougar Quiz #6

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Greg Wrubell's Cougar Quiz #6

Post by hawkwing »

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Re: Greg Wrubell's Cougar Quiz #6

Post by frdbtr »

I got 90% and I talked myself out of the correct answer for the only question I missed. (who ended BYU's 25 game winning streak).

BOID
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BOID »

I got 90 percent also. I missed the one about Cody Hoffman exceeding 5000 yards. Thought it was Harvey Unga.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

I remember, UCLA needed a pick 6 to get by BYU then. It's too bad that BYU didn't hold on.

Also, Ohio St needed a BYU TD nullified by officials to get by BYU in the bowl game that year. Vai Sikahema fumbled AFTER breaking the plane of the goal line. It was clearly a TD, and would have put BYU over OSU 14 to 10. OSU also needed a pick six in that one to win, since their offense was held to only 3 points.

That 1985 team was a legitimate national contender. If Bosco's shoulder hadn't gotten compromised, maybe they would have gone undefeated again. I still don't know how they managed to lose to the UTEP Miners, however.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BOID wrote:I remember, UCLA needed a pick 6 to get by BYU then. It's too bad that BYU didn't hold on.

Also, Ohio St needed a BYU TD nullified by officials to get by BYU in the bowl game that year. Vai Sikahema fumbled AFTER breaking the plane of the goal line. It was clearly a TD, and would have put BYU over OSU 14 to 10. OSU also needed a pick six in that one to win, since their offense was held to only 3 points.

That 1985 team was a legitimate national contender. If Bosco's shoulder hadn't gotten compromised, maybe they would have gone undefeated again. I still don't know how they managed to lose to the UTEP Miners, however.
Unfortunately for me, I didn't pay attention to BYU sports during the Bosco years. I remember my uncle being excited about the national championship but it didn't really register with me about the importance of that. I was into motorcycle riding and didn't care about sports in general and watching it on TV held no interest for me. I got into BYU football during the Ty Detmer years. So any question I answer before then is a bonus for me.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

It sounds like some great years that you had. Team sports are not all there is, for sure.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BOID wrote:It sounds like some great years that you had. Team sports are not all there is, for sure.
I still love riding motorcycles. Added BYU football to it. Made life even better. 8)

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

BOID wrote:I still don't know how they managed to lose to the UTEP Miners, however.
UTEP cheated.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Schmoe wrote:
BOID wrote:I still don't know how they managed to lose to the UTEP Miners, however.
UTEP cheated.
I've heard interviews from guys on the 85 team who lost to utep and all of them said that there was no cheating. They said that utep had planned to stop the pass at all costs and BYU was so arrogant that they were going to throw on them anyway and it backfired. They could have adjusted the game plan and ran on utep until they stopped it but they were arrogant and wanted to throw on them to prove that they could and lost.

EM_Puma
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by EM_Puma »

1 got an 80%, which is my highest score this season. tough questions, but finally this week not so obscure.