1998 Liberty Bowl ticket

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
tulaneoutlaw
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU is OK
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

1998 Liberty Bowl ticket

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Hi - I'm a new board member and as the handle probably reveals I'm a Tulane alum/fan. Right now I'm working on a collecting project, specifically collecting all the ticket stubs from Tulane Bowl games. One that I still need is the 1998 Liberty Bowl in which the Green Wave completed a perfect season by beating BYU. That season was easily the best moment in modern Tulane football history. If any of you have a ticket stub from that game that you would sell please pm me!

Also, if any of you went to the game and have stories about it, feel free to share them here. I was 8 and didn't know Tulane existed at that time. I know it's probably not the best game to bring up since it was a BYU loss, but maybe you'll humor a generally downtrodden Green Wave fan :). Thanks!

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: 1998 Liberty Bowl ticket

Post by Fido »

Welcome! That sounds like a very cool project and I wish you well. Sorry I can't help.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

Sounds like you should meet TulaneVandyRiceCoug, he probably doesn't have a ticket, but you both enjoy Tulane.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

Hi Law, I assume you have tried ebay. Things like that show up from time to time.

If I remember right, the team was undefeated that year. Who was the QB and did he make it in the NFL? I don't remember except that he was good. Is your school in New Orleans?

tulaneoutlaw
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU is OK

Post by tulaneoutlaw »

Thanks for the welcome! Didn't think there would be a BYU/Tulane crossover fan, but it sounds like we'd get along.
scott715 wrote:Hi Law, I assume you have tried ebay. Things like that show up from time to time.

If I remember right, the team was undefeated that year. Who was the QB and did he make it in the NFL? I don't remember except that he was good. Is your school in New Orleans?
I have tried eBay. Bowl ticket stubs do pop up all the time. Ones that feature Tulane are a little less frequent but they do still appear from time to time. I've been watching eBay for awhile now, though, and I have yet to see a 1998 Liberty Bowl stub.

1998 was our undefeated season. Shaun King was the QB you remember. He did play briefly in the NFL for the Bucs I think, but his skill set either didn't translate or wasn't appreciated then. He's now an announcer for FOX I believe. And yep, Tulane is in New Orleans though I live in Tennessee where I'm originally from.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I was at that game...but threw away the stub, probably when we went down by four touchdowns. That was a miserable game watching the BYU O struggle to put points on the board—our star RB Ronny Jenkins and DB Hashi Robertson were both suspended two weeks before, and the team was informed that Jenkins was expelled from school just a day or two before the game, so the offense was in a complete funk.

However, I do have a stub and program from the 1997 Cotton Bowl—for some reason I held on to those, but not the Liberty Bowl….

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I've been keeping my stubs from the away games that I have gone to but that was only the last 4 years. I wish I had kept the miracle bowl stub.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

In my older, more crazy years, I may re-live 1998 and 1984, over and over. No tickets here, but that 1998 Tulane team was legit. Also was the first snub for BCS games. It was a new thing at the time, but that could have taken down anyone in the land.