BYU vx Arizona 2016

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU vx Arizona 2016

Post by scott715 »

He was projected to be a starter.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Re: BYU vx Arizona 2016

Post by SpiffCoug »

My guess is it going to take 40 points to beat BYU and 40 points to beat Arizona in 7 weeks.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

I'm with that, an offensive shootout in the opener. I think our D will be the weakness. I look at the offensive personnel, cmooooooon man, we got Taysom and Jamaal in the backfield. Anae did wonders with the two.

I think Detmer does even better. This season the D will only sometimes win us a tight one. Our offense will put us scoring last and winning in the tight ones. If the D can just be good enough, I think our offense puts us in the position to win.

Having said that, I f****ing KNOW Kai Nacua will get at least 5 interceptions. Harvey Langi, Travis Tuiloma, Fred Warner, and Michael Davis are my players who will lay the beatdown on D. I think they et al could be good enough to get us to 10 wins, and I really hope they contend with some of the offenses we will face. But the offense of Mich St? Miss St? Can our D slow them enough? Now, I just dunno bout daaaaaaat.

I like Ed Lamb at special teams too. I hope he watched the 'globe of death' kickoff returns (and their penalties). I bet he can handle it here. I think the ball bounces our way more than theirs. I'm okay but unproven on special teams, but I'll go out on a limb and say our special teams makes a big difference for a sweet W in week 2.

We CAN make it to 10 wins. I might be all wrong and we barely make a bowl. With this schedule, how badA would it be to just duke it out week for week for week, and we take down some good ones. I want BSU in Boise, I think the most.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

So that puts TVRC in the BYU will be getting to 40 first column.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

We have so much talent and skill returning on offense it will give the new coaches a major cushion as they adjust to NCAA Div 1a competition. Honestly a tuna sandwich and a cup of coffee could be our coaches and our offense would be just fine.

Defensively, we will struggle much more and is where we will likely see coaches struggling. I expect offensive/defensive outputs much like Crowton's first year.

First team to 50 wins.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

I am TVRC, and I approve this message. I hope Detmer holds back a few wrinkles for week 2. Offensive fireworks coming at ya. I think we stomp the Arizona D. I think Utah will be tougher, but we will do just fiiiiine. 40 points for a new offense might be a bit much. I think we get 28+ and still do fine.

Maybe a midseason game (Toledo?) we explode for 40-50. These are just thinks that I think.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

Should be fun to watch -- like the old WAC days where it felt like a slow day if we didn't put up 64.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

I think this Cougar D will be better than some of you fear, better than Crowton's first year. Just look at the position groups. DL: Tuiloma, Taele, Takitaki (that's only three out of four starters, but it's a nice foundation). LB's: Langi and Warner head up a highly rated group (first unit out after top ten ranking recently). DB's: Solid at safety. Nacua is a star, and Micah H is no slouch, regardless of all the criticism he took last year as a CB. MH is very athletic, and safety is his natural, accustomed position. CB's also strong with Davis and the younger Warner. Don't know if D Lake is up for playing time yet, but he holds a lot of potential.

I see a loaded defense with mostly proven veterans and some new stars. I'm feeling pretty confident. That's why I predict a 9-3 season, in spite of the tough schedule. If we get several lucky bounces, then it could go even farther, but I'll stop there, 'cause some bad bounces could take us down to 6-6.

Anyhow, I'm stoked. Don't care about the Big 12, or any of that P5 crap, except that BYU is a P5 equivalent as a Major Independent. Our team's getting a lot of attention nationally as it is, and I'm happy with that. The future is bright as an independent.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

BOID wrote:Micah H is no slouch, regardless of all the criticism he took last year as a CB.
He is a slouch and deserved the criticism he took. I found one of his old high school highlight films that shows how his coaches dealt with him after getting burned all night:

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

I think I play the part of Chris Farley with Da Bears, but transposed over here to my Cougs.

The question isn't whether the Detmer offense will put up somewhere around 35+ points on Arizona. The question is whether the Arizona defense will be able to stop any forward progress AT ALL.

Here's the way too early request for a watch party.