Breaking News BYU, the Big 12, and... Utah

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Breaking News BYU, the Big 12, and... Utah

Post by scott715 »

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=16147611

Take this for what it's worth.

So here is what I am hearing. BYU has a conditional invite IF the 12th team is Cincinatti. The reason there is this IF is that BYU is pushing hard for the Big12 to invite Utah. Yes, you read that right, Utah. BYU really wants to bring the rivalry back and the best way to do that is to be in the same conference. The Big 12 would love to poach a school from another P5 conference and Utah with BYU would actually make a lot of sense.

So, why would Utah leave the Pac 12 and go to the big 12 you might ask. $$Money$$. More than $10M per year according to sources. They may want to leave BYU in the dust, but they are not stupid and money talks. So the Big 12 has been in contact with Utah and both BYU and Utah have an invite but were told to keep it out of the media for now. Utah is in the process of withdrawing from the Pac 12 in order to join the Big 12 conference.

Here is the genius part of it though. Once Utah has officially exited from the Pac 12, the Big 12 will officially announce BYU and Cincinatti as the two additions to the conference. When Utah calls foul, they will simply say that what they were offering to the Utes was a non-committable offer. The Pac 12 will be pissed that Utah was going to leave and so will forced to keep their scheduled departure from the Pac 12 in 2017. The Pac 12 invites Colorado State to take their place and Utah runs back to the MWC with its tail between its legs.

Too good to be true you say? The voices in my head would disagree with you. They are telling me this is a done deal.

Too funny not to share.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Breaking News BYU, the Big 12, and... Utah

Post by hawkwing »

Oh man, the stupid stuff some people will write.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

one can dream. But that's a bunch of malarkey.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Just a joke and a funny one at that.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

BTW, I think the pac would be in a better situation had they taken BYU + Utah or CU + CSU. Or both pairs. But the utah CU deal was kind of lame.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

BroncoBot wrote:BTW, I think the pac would be in a better situation had they taken BYU + Utah or CU + CSU. Or both pairs. But the utah CU deal was kind of lame.
True, the entire conference was made up of rivalries. BYU-Utah would have fit that structure perfectly.

It's not too late. If the PAC can't attract Texas or Oklahoma, the next best thing would be to add BYU and CSU to undo the fake rivalry move and to keep the Big 12 out of the Mountain time zone.

Though, figuring out the divisional lineup would be a tall task.

MTM
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by MTM »

If you could just "keep it out of the media". Um, yeah, that'd be great.

vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by vancouvercougar »

scott715 wrote:http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=16147611

Take this for what it's worth.

So here is what I am hearing. BYU has a conditional invite IF the 12th team is Cincinatti. The reason there is this IF is that BYU is pushing hard for the Big12 to invite Utah. Yes, you read that right, Utah. BYU really wants to bring the rivalry back and the best way to do that is to be in the same conference. The Big 12 would love to poach a school from another P5 conference and Utah with BYU would actually make a lot of sense.

So, why would Utah leave the Pac 12 and go to the big 12 you might ask. $$Money$$. More than $10M per year according to sources. They may want to leave BYU in the dust, but they are not stupid and money talks. So the Big 12 has been in contact with Utah and both BYU and Utah have an invite but were told to keep it out of the media for now. Utah is in the process of withdrawing from the Pac 12 in order to join the Big 12 conference.

Here is the genius part of it though. Once Utah has officially exited from the Pac 12, the Big 12 will officially announce BYU and Cincinatti as the two additions to the conference. When Utah calls foul, they will simply say that what they were offering to the Utes was a non-committable offer. The Pac 12 will be pissed that Utah was going to leave and so will forced to keep their scheduled departure from the Pac 12 in 2017. The Pac 12 invites Colorado State to take their place and Utah runs back to the MWC with its tail between its legs.

Too good to be true you say? The voices in my head would disagree with you. They are telling me this is a done deal.

Too funny not to share.
This is the kind of stuff that BoiseBYU would write in a "This Just In" article.

HoosierCougar
Junior

Post by HoosierCougar »

Wacky... hadn't read this drivel, but I was thinking just this morning that adding BYU and Utah would be a huge coup for the Big XII. They'd get the whole Utah market (and don't forget the Idaho Falls, Blackfoot, Pocatello market), bring in another historical rivalry, and force the PAC12's hand to do something. Risk the P12 would go after Texas? IDK.