Big XII Expansion--1996 All Over Again?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Big XII Expansion--1996 All Over Again?

Post by mormonrasta »

Quote from the Dallas Morning News August 30, 2006:

"One of the biggest misconceptions about the breakup of the Southwest Conference was that former Texas Gov. Ann Richards used her political clout to push Baylor into the Big 12. Those close to loquacious Baylor graduate say that just isn't true.

"She just was not involved to any great degree in working that out," said Richards' former chief of staff, John Fainter. "I'd have to say she was informed, but she wasn't pounding the table or anything like that."

Bill Cryer, Richards' former spokesman, said Richards always thought it was funny that people assumed she bent over backward to help Baylor.

"I remember her chuckling about it saying, 'I can't imagine they think I would do that,' " Cryer said. "But you know how football fans are. They see want they want to see."

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

Here's a another article. I misremembered. It was the Pac who only wanted 2 teams the Big 8 seemed to be always Ok with 4.

No BYU, no Ann Richards.

http://athlonsports.com/college-footbal ... rth-big-12

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

The commissioner of the AAC indicated today that at least two of his schools are going to be leaving the conference for the Big 12.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

Just heard the AAC's Commissioner on the radio essentially admit that they will be a 10-team conference in 2017 and they are looking at remaining a ten-team conference.

The AAC currently has 12 football members, so that would mean they are sending two to the Big XII.

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

snoscythe wrote:Just heard the AAC's Commissioner on the radio essentially admit that they will be a 10-team conference in 2017 and they are looking at remaining a ten-team conference.

The AAC currently has 12 football members, so that would mean they are sending two to the Big XII.
I don't think it is a done deal yet. I think, like any good commissioner, he is just planning on what to do in the eventuality that one, two , or three teams are taken. If only two are taken, stand pat. If three, then you have to invite someone. I kind of doubt that anyone has solid invites at this point, but the list has probably been narrowed down, and some of the AAC schools are under consideration.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Houston's case is helped by politics, no doubt. But it's also helped by their recent success which can be used to paper over the political machinations.
As relevant, I believe, but far less discussed is the fact that the PAC-12 was having discussions with Houston a couple of weeks before the BXII media days. The Texas schools are scared that their television and recruiting positions would be undermined by having the PAC appear right in their backyard. Far better to co-opt Houston.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

snoscythe wrote:
scott715 wrote:Well the other 6 teams should vote no on principle.
Against expansion?
If expansion happens, it will have to include Houston. Texas+Tech+Baylor are enough votes to veto any proposal, which they will do if the proposal doesn't include Baylor. Old boys' network. It's the Texas way. I hate it.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
CrimsonCoug
Senior

Post by CrimsonCoug »

hawkwing wrote:The joys of government overreach.
So much for the American Dream of meritocracy.

mormonrasta
Junior

Post by mormonrasta »

I don't think his message has changed from over 2 months ago. Here is a quote from the end of May.

“We have an idea of what we might do if something happens,” Aresco said. “But things can change. You never know what can happen, so you have to be flexible.

“If we lost a team or two, we would not do anything rash quickly. We would be very deliberate. Also we might not decide to add any teams. We can play with 10 if that were to happen. We’re not going to dilute our brand.”

http://www.todaysu.com/aac/mike-aresco- ... 2-reports/