BYU has formally notified the Big 12 of interest, believe issues can be worked out

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

BYU has formally notified the Big 12 of interest, believe issues can be worked out

Post by Fido »

http://espn.go.com/college-football/sto ... nly-option

BYU has formally notified the Big 12 of its interest in joining the conference and would be open to discussing a football-only option to get into the league, Cougars athletic director Tom Holmoe told ESPN.com.

Interesting items in the story:
- Full membership with the Big 12 is BYU's goal
- On no-Sunday play: "I believe that's something that can be worked out," he said. "We've been in a lot of leagues through the years, and we've been able to work it out. "There would be a difference in the Big 12 because that would be a Power 5 conference. They're going to ask questions. We'll have our solutions, creative ideas of what we can do. We're going to do everything we can."
- BYU would be willing to take partial distribution initially to join the Big 12.

No shockers there, but interesting to note that the discussions are going on and BYU is prepared for discussion on these fronts.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: BYU has formally notified the Big 12 of interest, believe issues can be worked out

Post by scott715 »

Get the foot in the door and we could add our other sports later. I am okay with football only.

snoscythe
Retired

Re: BYU has formally notified the Big 12 of interest, believe issues can be worked out

Post by snoscythe »

Problem with football only is that it makes it easier to marginalize/exclude you down the road.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

I just have a plain gut hunch that all sports will go. BYU is pretty good all around, competition would be on par with the conference.

I get that Sunday play is a hassle to work around, but cmon.

Travel is travel, it just comes with D-1 athletics.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

snoscythe wrote:Problem with football only is that it makes it easier to marginalize/exclude you down the road.
I agree that it's a lesser option, but it's better than being left out completely. BYU is making it clear what they prefer, but that may not align with what the Big 12 wants in the end.

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

It doesn't have to be football only. It can be football, men's basketball and a few other sports as well that do not participate on Sunday at all. The rest of our teams can remain in wcc, mpsf, or Indy with a scheduling agreement with the Big Xii.

Win, win, win. I win because I advocated the idea, and surely Tom hasn't thought of it yet. ;)

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Earlier in the week, Holmoe mentioned he would follow the instructions he was given. My guess is this is part of the instructions - express interest.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Cougbib has chimed in. http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=16189481

Inside Sources are saying BYU to Big 12 2017 is a done deal. In order to protect the innocent, let me make it clear to those that know me: This did not come from any of my relatives. I never ask them anything and they would not tell me if I did ask.