Did BYU sign an agreement last night?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Hookem
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU is my rival
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Did BYU sign an agreement last night?

Post by Hookem »

Ungoy wrote:Welcome back! I certainly hope that's the case, and that BYU can get the 8 votes needed to join. I would love to play regular games against Texas. Aside from the recent Taysom Hill factor, I just love the idea of BYU competing in the Big 12.
Thanks. Let me just say, I was hesitant to say anything, but considering who said it gave me pause. I honestly didn't believe UH was getting in, I've been told that the UH lobbying by Texas was a facade. Texas just wants the satellite campus in Houston and that UH wouldn't block it anymore if Texas lobbied for them. I had heard that the tweets by McCraven, Fenves and Abbot were done after they knew that UH didn't have the votes.

When however, I heard what I heard on Monday, that changed somewhat because there was no reason for the original source to state UH and BYU just for the sake of it, to the guy who relayed this to me. Like I said, take it for what's worth. Negotiations are very fluid and can change on a dime, so we'll see. An annual game would be nice, once Taysom graduates of course...
Last edited by Hookem on Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BOID
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BOID »

I'm curious to know how Gordon Gee votes. There may be pressure on him to prioritize Cincy over BYU.

Hookem, that's good to hear that Texas wants the stronger programs, at least in football. The vote may be 50 percent political and 50 percent about shoring up the conference. Gary Patterson said something about the latter, that the new schools should strengthen the conference, and not the other way around.

But, anyhow, it's good to hear from you again, and thanks for the info!
Last edited by BOID on Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hookem
Freshman

Post by Hookem »

BOID wrote:I'm curious to know how Gordon Gee votes. There may be pressure on him to prioritize Cincy over BYU.

Hookem, that good to hear that Texas wants the stronger programs, at least in football. The vote may be 50 percent political and 50 percent about shoring up the conference. Gary Patterson said something about the latter, that the new schools should strengthen the conference, and not the other way around.

But, anyhow, it's good to hear from you again, and thanks for the info!
You bet. Hopefully it pans out.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

As long as BYU is one of the two (or four) teams in, we're good (except, maybe, if the other team is a burning pile of garbage, like Memphis).

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

Schmoe wrote:As long as BYU is one of the two (or four) teams in, we're good (except, maybe, if the other team is a burning pile of garbage, like Memphis).
I second that!

Who said it? "The :utard:s of the AAC." That was priceless.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Great news Hookem, I hope it pans out. There are so many angles to this decision.

Jarhead
All-American

Post by Jarhead »

BYU in big12 would give Hookem reasons to continue to stay on the site. It's win win.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

1. Houston. 2. Cincy. 3. BYU.
4. UConn/Memphis/Colorado State?

Possible B12 news leaks tomorrow?

Aug. 22 is the day after the Olympics (a Monday). A good day for a media presser, if deals are done.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Hookem
Freshman

Post by Hookem »

Mars wrote:1. Houston. 2. Cincy. 3. BYU.
4. UConn/Memphis/Colorado State?

Possible B12 news leaks tomorrow?

Aug. 22 is the day after the Olympics (a Monday). A good day for a media presser, if deals are done.
As of Monday, the original source believed that only two teams were being taken.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Hookem wrote: As of Monday, the original source believed that only two teams were being taken.
That's a little scary, because Houston is a political add for Texas/Texas Tech, and Cincy is a geographical add for WVU that OU supports. BYU is supported 2nd by Texas, and 1st by OU, or so I hear, but something has to give if just 2 are added. Though I think Fox would want us and ESPN would enjoy more Texas-BYU and BYU-Oklahoma type of match-ups in the future.

I think it will have to be 4 teams to get 8 schools out of 10 to agree though, personally.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars