Did BYU sign an agreement last night?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Did BYU sign an agreement last night?

Post by stuckinbig10country »

What I do believe above everything else, the longer this takes, the more BYU gets hurt. And now with the Olympics dominating everything, don't expect much for another 2 weeks.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Well, something is happening. The guys I hear from say everything has gone to ground and clammed up, which is usually a sign of transitioning from informal to formal discussions.

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

snoscythe wrote:Well, something is happening. The guys I hear from say everything has gone to ground and clammed up, which is usually a sign of transitioning from informal to formal discussions.
I think we are getting an announcement soon, and I think we are in. Bill King, from the Bill King show is in Dallas for the next two days for Big 12 expansion. That was reported on his radio station this morning. My guess is that he was specifically invited. That is why I think an announcement is happening soon. As for BYU being in...well, I guess I am just being optimistic that the Big 12 will do the no brainer thing.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Just to clarify--the people I talk to and trust on this are from the Baylor/Texas side of the equation, so it doesn't mean anything one way or the other for BYU. I read it as the Big XII has picked their direction, and now they are papering the deal so everyone can sign.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

I think OU wants BYU more than they want Cincy, and that UT wants BYU more than they want Houston. Why? It's because I've read opinions indicating this from people who claim to be close to the scene, and also because it seems to be the most sane and logical approach.

Reporters like this Cowlishaw character are not giving us real news when they present scenarios that exclude BYU. They're not even giving an honest opinion about what they think may happen. They are getting creative in imagining a way that BYU could be left out. This stems from an arrogant belief that they can influence the outcome to be what they personally want, by writing about it that way.

Think about it. It's a rather far-fetched idea that both OU and UT would each give up on the best single choice, the one that they both want first, just so that neither one of them has to feel like they yielded to the other on their second choice. It's really just a creative way for a hater to imagine the object of their derision being left out.

Hookem
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by Hookem »

snoscythe wrote:Just to clarify--the people I talk to and trust on this are from the Baylor/Texas side of the equation, so it doesn't mean anything one way or the other for BYU. I read it as the Big XII has picked their direction, and now they are papering the deal so everyone can sign.
Fingers crossed...

BYU makes the most sense. Hopefully the Big 12 is smart enough to make it happen.

BOID
Junior

Post by BOID »

Read the collegespun.com article by Matt Lombardi, posted one hour ago. He lists BYU first in a list of the best candidates, and he says it's not close.

Hookem, you are one of the people I believe on this. That doesn't mean that irrational, bone-headed things won't happen. But, I trust that you had it straight.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BOID wrote:I think OU wants BYU more than they want Cincy, and that UT wants BYU more than they want Houston. Why? It's because I've read opinions indicating this from people who claim to be close to the scene, and also because it seems to be the most sane and logical approach.

Reporters like this Cowlishaw character are not giving us real news when they present scenarios that exclude BYU. They're not even giving an honest opinion about what they think may happen. They are getting creative in imagining a way that BYU could be left out. This stems from an arrogant belief that they can influence the outcome to be what they personally want, by writing about it that way.

Think about it. It's a rather far-fetched idea that both OU and UT would each give up on the best single choice, the one that they both want first, just so that neither one of them has to feel like they yielded to the other on their second choice. It's really just a creative way for a hater to imagine the object of their derision being left out.
Great points. We both agree with #1 so why don't we compromise and take my #2 pick (whom you don't want) and your #2 pick (whom I don't want). This way we both get something we want and something we both don't want. Because if we take the consensus #1 pick then nobody doesn't get what they didn't want.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Hookem
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by Hookem »

BOID wrote:Read the collegespun.com article by Matt Lombardi, posted one hour ago. He lists BYU first in a list of the best candidates, and he says it's not close.

Hookem, you are one of the people I believe on this. That doesn't mean that irrational, bone-headed things won't happen. But, I trust that you had it straight.
Thanks, man. I just hope I'm right in what I've been told and my impressions based on the information I've seen as a whole.

Like I've said, BYU and Texas have had a good relationship since before the LHN. I just wasn't sure if that disintegrated once Deloss Dodds "retired" having two AD's since. Personally, if this happens, I think its because of the foundation that was built then. It appears that they're are still plenty left over in the Ath. Dept from the Dodds days.
Last edited by Hookem on Mon Aug 08, 2016 1:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.