Tanner Mangum to redshirt?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Tanner Mangum to redshirt?

Post by Schmoe »

snoscythe wrote: I don't have enough faith in Hoge or Detmer Jr. to plan on redshirting Mangum.
This hits the nail on the head. Unless one, or both, of them has come a LONG way since we last saw them play, I don't think you can rely on them in the backup role. It would be fine if it were just putting them in to spell Taysom at the end of a blowout, but what happens if Hill tweaks something and we need a QB in on the next play in a pivotal part of the game?

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
mormonrasta
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by mormonrasta »

Tanner should be the backup if we actually need a backup. But if all we need him to do is hand the ball off to Algie Brown in the 4th quarter, then he should just redshirt. Hoge is perfectly suited for mop up duty.

Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

I think a lot of this depends on Tanner. The coaches should talk with him if he doesn't win the starting job, and ask him what his plans are. If he is gone in three years regardless, then play him when the opportunity presents itself. Returned missionary QBs get the age thing thrown at them more so than others. I recall that was one of the knocks on John Beck. So, two solid years starting after this year is probably all he needs for his best NFL chance. Most of our really good QBs in the factory years only had two years starting and were back-ups the other years. Detmer really was the first to break the mold and start three years. But, he didn't serve a mission, so there wasn't the age knock that RM QBs have to deal with.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner

Post by stuckinbig10country »

BOID wrote:That would have to be the most amazing sophomore season ever, to have big NFL draft stock. No, Tanner would need to finish a junior season, and an exceptional one at that. Even then, I would bet on him staying for his senior season if BYU was on the cusp of something special at that time.
Mangum would have been drafted last year had he decided to go into the draft. And yes, he could have because it had been 3 years since he graduated from high school. Not saying it would have been a high draft pick, but likely would have been 4th round.

He's gone after next year, at the latest, mostly because he's good enough, but partially because of his age.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

You can have a guy suited up standing on the sideline and still redshirt him if he never plays. If Taysom gets injured he is there to play and will not redshirt. All I am saying is try to keep him on the sideline, if he has to come in because of injury so be it, if he doesn't play get him a year back. Simple as that.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Might be a problem with road games. Isn't there a limit on how many players travel?

hypercoug
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by hypercoug »

It's a moot point. I hate to say it but Taysom is going to be injured by the time the season is half over. I hope not, but I'll be holding my breath on every play he is still healthy.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

frdbtr wrote:You can have a guy suited up standing on the sideline and still redshirt him if he never plays. If Taysom gets injured he is there to play and will not redshirt. All I am saying is try to keep him on the sideline, if he has to come in because of injury so be it, if he doesn't play get him a year back. Simple as that.
What do you do if the injury happens in the last three games of the season? Do you take a full year of eligibility for just those three games, meaning you lost the opportunity to get him game-speed reps the first 9 games?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Schmoe wrote:
snoscythe wrote: I don't have enough faith in Hoge or Detmer Jr. to plan on redshirting Mangum.
This hits the nail on the head. Unless one, or both, of them has come a LONG way since we last saw them play, I don't think you can rely on them in the backup role. It would be fine if it were just putting them in to spell Taysom at the end of a blowout, but what happens if Hill tweaks something and we need a QB in on the next play in a pivotal part of the game?
I thought Hoge looked much improved at the Spring game over where he was last year. Koy Jr continued to fail to look the part of an FBS caliber QB.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

SpiffCoug wrote:
Schmoe wrote:
I thought Hoge looked much improved at the Spring game over where he was last year. Koy Jr continued to fail to look the part of an FBS caliber QB.
This is good to know. I think an advantage of having Hoge backup Taysom is that he has a similar skill set as far as being a physical, athletic type of QB who can run the ball, so you don't have to mess with the play calling.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,