Pillows and feathers?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
stuckinbig10country
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Pillows and feathers?

Post by stuckinbig10country »

A couple things.

Bronco was being pushed out for the last 2 years by Holmoe and others. There were interviews for his job while he still had it.

The NFL has completely open practices during pre season. In fact, they often practice with other teams that they play games against. There is very little that can be gained by having closed practices.

blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

stuckinbig10country wrote:
Bronco was being pushed out for the last 2 years by Holmoe and others. There were interviews for his job while he still had it.
While it may be true Bronco was being pushed out, I find it hard to believe they were holding interviews. No matter how secret, if an interviewee is a coach at a different school they need to have permission to speak to them, and that would have gotten out and exploded on any BYU forum.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

blue42 wrote:No matter how secret, if an interviewee is a coach at a different school they need to have permission to speak to them, and that would have gotten out and exploded on any BYU forum.
This is not true for all coaches. It all depends on their individual contracts, and even those non-compete clauses wouldn't necessarily prevent their agents from gauging interest prior to a formal request for interview.

Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

stuckinbig10country wrote:A couple things.

If this is true, then Holmoe and the boosters aren't very smart and they did a terrible job. We interviewed candidates for three years and the best we could do is a public circus where we don't land our first choice and end up with a rookie HC who made defenses worse? With three years to court a candidate, I'd expect nothing less than to land the Walrus himself.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Mingjai
All-American

Post by Mingjai »

Cougarfan87 wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:Not me. I was with Crowton until the UNLV loss, I think it was. When we lost to UNLV at home in 2004, I knew he had to go. You just can't lose to UNLV at home. The offense was in complete disarray. WE couldn't move the ball against UNLfreakingV. Throw in the rape scandal, and I knew it was time. Until then I was a patient, long suffering fan, even though the 3-0 snow game broke my heart and BYU's streak, I was still a long suffering fan.

When Bronco was announced, I thought Bronco would be a decent coach from the way he turned around the defense. He turned out to be much better than decent. He had some very big wins over Texas twice, Oklafreakinghoma, TCU, etc. But not really in the first year. It took time. But Bronco left. I think he felt like he did what he was supposed to do and wanted a new challenge. I get that. I feel like I'm in a rut sometimes. I thank him for his time here. I am grateful for what he did for the program. Since he is gone, I am rooting for the new staff to do just as well or better. Like Bronco, we should expect some first year lumps, around .500 for the first year. We may have way more talent now than Bronco had in 2005, but we also have a much more brutal schedule. I will be long suffering again if I have to. Please don't make me have to, BYU. I'm begging you.
The funny thing is, BYU moved the ball up and down the field all over unlv if I remember right in that game but lost on 7 turnovers. I rooted for Crowton all the way up until he was let go but I knew it was time for a change. Bronco immediately brought BYU's culture back when he was hired so I was really positive he could get things turned around. Like I said above, I am hoping for the best with this new staff but IMO they have a huge hill to climb with this years schedule that I would feel much more positive about, if Bronco was still here.
Did they really? I remember a bunch of three and outs, but that could have been another game. I had to go to the Stake Center to watch anything because I was in Florida at the time. But, yeah, that loss to UNLV sucked.
I think the game you're remembering is the 2002 UNLV home game. I was at that game and that was definitely one of the worst efforts I've ever seen a BYU team produce--the players didn't seem to care and neither did the coaches. If I ever had a brown-paper-bag-over-my-head moment as a BYU fan, that was it. UNLV scored off of two BYU turnovers in the 4th, but BYU was never really a threat to put the ball in the end zone and lost 24-3.

That string of 3 blowouts in 2002--@Air Force 52-9, UNLV 24-3, and @CSU 37-10--was when I know Crowton had to go.

http://sltrib.cougarstats.com/games.php ... ame_id=121

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Mingjai wrote:That string of 3 blowouts in 2002--@Air Force 52-9, UNLV 24-3, and @CSU 37-10--was when I know Crowton had to go.
....but Matt Berry and Brett Engemann were so dreamy!!

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

I liked Matt Berry and felt if he had been handled correctly he could have been a good qb.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

stuckinbig10country wrote:A couple things.

According to who? First I have heard of this.
stuckinbig10country wrote: NFL has completely open practices during pre season. In fact, they often practice with other teams that they play games against. There is very little that can be gained by having closed practices.
I think the closed practices has more to do with keeping reporters away from cocky college students. If you recall there were a string of bad quotes from various players over a season or two that caused some minor controversies. Open practices soon went the way of the dodo.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Mingjai wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:Not me. I was with Crowton until the UNLV loss, I think it was. When we lost to UNLV at home in 2004, I knew he had to go. You just can't lose to UNLV at home. The offense was in complete disarray. WE couldn't move the ball against UNLfreakingV. Throw in the rape scandal, and I knew it was time. Until then I was a patient, long suffering fan, even though the 3-0 snow game broke my heart and BYU's streak, I was still a long suffering fan.

When Bronco was announced, I thought Bronco would be a decent coach from the way he turned around the defense. He turned out to be much better than decent. He had some very big wins over Texas twice, Oklafreakinghoma, TCU, etc. But not really in the first year. It took time. But Bronco left. I think he felt like he did what he was supposed to do and wanted a new challenge. I get that. I feel like I'm in a rut sometimes. I thank him for his time here. I am grateful for what he did for the program. Since he is gone, I am rooting for the new staff to do just as well or better. Like Bronco, we should expect some first year lumps, around .500 for the first year. We may have way more talent now than Bronco had in 2005, but we also have a much more brutal schedule. I will be long suffering again if I have to. Please don't make me have to, BYU. I'm begging you.
The funny thing is, BYU moved the ball up and down the field all over unlv if I remember right in that game but lost on 7 turnovers. I rooted for Crowton all the way up until he was let go but I knew it was time for a change. Bronco immediately brought BYU's culture back when he was hired so I was really positive he could get things turned around. Like I said above, I am hoping for the best with this new staff but IMO they have a huge hill to climb with this years schedule that I would feel much more positive about, if Bronco was still here.
Did they really? I remember a bunch of three and outs, but that could have been another game. I had to go to the Stake Center to watch anything because I was in Florida at the time. But, yeah, that loss to UNLV sucked.
I think the game you're remembering is the 2002 UNLV home game. I was at that game and that was definitely one of the worst efforts I've ever seen a BYU team produce--the players didn't seem to care and neither did the coaches. If I ever had a brown-paper-bag-over-my-head moment as a BYU fan, that was it. UNLV scored off of two BYU turnovers in the 4th, but BYU was never really a threat to put the ball in the end zone and lost 24-3.

That string of 3 blowouts in 2002--@Air Force 52-9, UNLV 24-3, and @CSU 37-10--was when I know Crowton had to go.

http://sltrib.cougarstats.com/games.php ... ame_id=121
That could be it. Thanks. Those were the times that tried men's souls.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Gunk wrote:
stuckinbig10country wrote: NFL has completely open practices during pre season. In fact, they often practice with other teams that they play games against. There is very little that can be gained by having closed practices.
I think the closed practices has more to do with keeping reporters away from cocky college students. If you recall there were a string of bad quotes from various players over a season or two that caused some minor controversies. Open practices soon went the way of the dodo.
IIRC, the NFL also charges for practice attendance.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!