Pillows and feathers?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Pillows and feathers?

Post by Schmoe »

frdbtr wrote:...kind of like when Nebraska ran off a 9 win coach in order to have losing seasons for a couple years in a row.
Or when Kansas ran off Mark Mangino because he yelled at the players. In the six years since, they've won exactly three conference games.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Some BYU fans are still mourning over Bronco Mendenhall. Many more are in the Honeymoon phase with Kalani. The first loss will begin the next phase. A loss to Utah would mean another year of depression. A losing season would change the attitude around the program drastically. High hopes until then.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Mars wrote:Some BYU fans are still mourning over Bronco Mendenhall. Many more are in the Honeymoon phase with Kalani. The first loss will begin the next phase. A loss to Utah would mean another year of depression. A losing season would change the attitude around the program drastically. High hopes until then.
I'm not in mourning over Bronco leaving. I am just not feeling euphoria over the new staff. I will be rooting as hard as I ever have for this new staff to win games and will give them more time to succeed than most of you on this board unless I see total incompetence from them. I am a true BYU fan and I stick by my coaches and players until the very end. Having said that, I have seen fans turn on coaches and players like rabid dogs at the first sign of what is perceived a failure on their part. That is what I am referencing. Losing to utah is a non starter with BYU fans, no matter how the loss happens. I expect that after BYU starts 0-3, there are going to be a bunch of fans that are currently calling Sitake the savior of BYU football, turn on him and start calling for his job.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

Not me. I was with Crowton until the UNLV loss, I think it was. When we lost to UNLV at home in 2004, I knew he had to go. You just can't lose to UNLV at home. The offense was in complete disarray. WE couldn't move the ball against UNLfreakingV. Throw in the rape scandal, and I knew it was time. Until then I was a patient, long suffering fan, even though the 3-0 snow game broke my heart and BYU's streak, I was still a long suffering fan.

When Bronco was announced, I thought Bronco would be a decent coach from the way he turned around the defense. He turned out to be much better than decent. He had some very big wins over Texas twice, Oklafreakinghoma, TCU, etc. But not really in the first year. It took time. But Bronco left. I think he felt like he did what he was supposed to do and wanted a new challenge. I get that. I feel like I'm in a rut sometimes. I thank him for his time here. I am grateful for what he did for the program. Since he is gone, I am rooting for the new staff to do just as well or better. Like Bronco, we should expect some first year lumps, around .500 for the first year. We may have way more talent now than Bronco had in 2005, but we also have a much more brutal schedule. I will be long suffering again if I have to. Please don't make me have to, BYU. I'm begging you.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Cougarfan87 wrote:Not me. I was with Crowton until the UNLV loss, I think it was. When we lost to UNLV at home in 2004, I knew he had to go. You just can't lose to UNLV at home. The offense was in complete disarray. WE couldn't move the ball against UNLfreakingV. Throw in the rape scandal, and I knew it was time. Until then I was a patient, long suffering fan, even though the 3-0 snow game broke my heart and BYU's streak, I was still a long suffering fan.

When Bronco was announced, I thought Bronco would be a decent coach from the way he turned around the defense. He turned out to be much better than decent. He had some very big wins over Texas twice, Oklafreakinghoma, TCU, etc. But not really in the first year. It took time. But Bronco left. I think he felt like he did what he was supposed to do and wanted a new challenge. I get that. I feel like I'm in a rut sometimes. I thank him for his time here. I am grateful for what he did for the program. Since he is gone, I am rooting for the new staff to do just as well or better. Like Bronco, we should expect some first year lumps, around .500 for the first year. We may have way more talent now than Bronco had in 2005, but we also have a much more brutal schedule. I will be long suffering again if I have to. Please don't make me have to, BYU. I'm begging you.
The funny thing is, BYU moved the ball up and down the field all over unlv if I remember right in that game but lost on 7 turnovers. I rooted for Crowton all the way up until he was let go but I knew it was time for a change. Bronco immediately brought BYU's culture back when he was hired so I was really positive he could get things turned around. Like I said above, I am hoping for the best with this new staff but IMO they have a huge hill to climb with this years schedule that I would feel much more positive about, if Bronco was still here.

Cougarfan87
All-American

Post by Cougarfan87 »

frdbtr wrote:
Cougarfan87 wrote:Not me. I was with Crowton until the UNLV loss, I think it was. When we lost to UNLV at home in 2004, I knew he had to go. You just can't lose to UNLV at home. The offense was in complete disarray. WE couldn't move the ball against UNLfreakingV. Throw in the rape scandal, and I knew it was time. Until then I was a patient, long suffering fan, even though the 3-0 snow game broke my heart and BYU's streak, I was still a long suffering fan.

The funny thing is, BYU moved the ball up and down the field all over unlv if I remember right in that game but lost on 7 turnovers. I rooted for Crowton all the way up until he was let go but I knew it was time for a change. Bronco immediately brought BYU's culture back when he was hired so I was really positive he could get things turned around. Like I said above, I am hoping for the best with this new staff but IMO they have a huge hill to climb with this years schedule that I would feel much more positive about, if Bronco was still here.
Did they really? I remember a bunch of three and outs, but that could have been another game. I had to go to the Stake Center to watch anything because I was in Florida at the time. But, yeah, that loss to UNLV sucked.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

In 2004, BYU outgained UNLV 449 yards to 259, but lost 24-20 after 6 lost fumbles and one pick.

The only reason the score wasn't 24-13 is because Cam Jensen had a pick six.

http://sltrib.cougarstats.com/games.php ... game_id=98

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Cougarfan87 wrote:
frdbtr wrote:

Did they really? I remember a bunch of three and outs, but that could have been another game. I had to go to the Stake Center to watch anything because I was in Florida at the time. But, yeah, that loss to UNLV sucked.
I agree, it was an inexcusable loss but that is what Crowton's teams started doing after 2001 is finding new and more creative ways to lose to inferior teams. It was maddening. That is one of the reasons I never took Bronco for granted is because I knew how hard it is to win at BYU and what it felt like for BYU to lose games that they shouldn't under inferior coaching.

Gunk
Over-Achiever

Post by Gunk »

Let's not forget Bronco left BYU. BYU did not fire a winning coach. Our 9-win coach decided to pack his bags and leave. Were there disgruntled fans and boosters, yes (losing to your rival time and time again will do that), but Bronco's job was largely secured. He ran an above average, clean program.

I don't think we ever would have cracked an NY6 bowl with Anae as OC. And, unfortunately, Bronco and Anae are tied to the hip. In the end, it's probably good Bronco opted to take his talents to Virginia.

We're rolling the dice a bit with this staff, but the list is short and a risk or two will probably need to be made before BYU does anything on a national level.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Gunk wrote:Let's not forget Bronco left BYU. BYU did not fire a winning coach. Our 9-win coach decided to pack his bags and leave. Were there disgruntled fans and boosters, yes (losing to your rival time and time again will do that), but Bronco's job was largely secured. He ran an above average, clean program.

I don't think we ever would have cracked an NY6 bowl with Anae as OC. And, unfortunately, Bronco and Anae are tied to the hip. In the end, it's probably good Bronco opted to take his talents to Virginia.

We're rolling the dice a bit with this staff, but the list is short and a risk or two will probably need to be made before BYU does anything on a national level.
You are right, I guess I am referring to the loud BYU fans who wanted him gone and the media who made sure to point out all his flaws no matter how ridiculous they are. And now I am pointing out all the fans who are having euphoria over a coaching staff who hasn't won a game yet.