Depth Chart 2016

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Depth Chart 2016

Post by scott715 »

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=16334984

Depth chart - assessing strength & weakness

I think the guys at loyal cougars have done a great job projecting the depth chart as it stands now:

http://www.loyalcougars.com/wp-content/ ... l-Camp.pdf

Positions of Strength (deep with talent and/or experience) and weakness (positions look thin, question marks on the depth)

VERY STRONG

QB - Taysom and Tanner... both would start at 98% of schools. I like Hoge's talent/potential as well.

RB - Jamaal is poised for a monster senior year, and he's backed up by very promising talent in Squally and Riley Burt. Algie Brown at FB. The backfield is loaded.

SAFETY - Nacua and Hanneman will be outstanding, I'm expecting big things there. Lots of strong back-ups (Anderson, Hadley, Takenaka, Jacobson, Badger, etc.) Very deep position.

STRONG

WR - I'm feeling very good about Kurtz and MLP as the big targets, with the emergence in camp of the new speedsters (Trinnaman and Tanner). Experienced solid guys round out the depth (Pearson, Juergens) and more talented athletes battle behind them (Shumway, Simon). Lots of unproven talent though, so I won't grade as "very strong" yet but I expect great things from this group.

D-Line - I'm feeling bullish about the emergence of Langi and Tautu at DE. I think both will be great off the edge getting after the QB. I feel good about Laulile and Kaumatule at the other end. I think we are loaded with talent at DT. Tuiloma and Taele... backed up by a bunch of 3 and 4-star prospects with big bodies and strong potential (Tanielu, Mo'unga, Taliauli, etc.)

CORNER - I think Mike Davis will play on Sundays. Warner and Akile Davis battling for the other position. A bunch of 6'1"/6'2" athletes seeing most of the reps! Then talented back-ups, all legit D1 athletes (Lake, Armstrong, Wilcox, Shelton). Can't remember BYU ever having this many dudes at corner who were legit D1 corner athletes. Gone are the days of free safeties playing out of position at corner!

SOLID

O-Line - I like the projected starters (L to R: Lapuaho, Dawe, Koroma, Kanuch, Hoyt) and I'm feeling better about the reserves (Shoaf, Nwigwe, Eide, Norman, Jimenez, Longson, etc. are good prospects, unproven). I think the depth still presents considerable drop-offs from the starters. The question marks about Johnson and Wilcox make me feel less secure. If those dudes end up contributing then this position could potentially be "strong".

WEAK

LB - I feel good about the starters. Warner is poised to be a star. I believe strongly in the talent and potential of both Pau'u and Bernard. Heder will be a solid back-up to Pau'u. But the lack of experience backing up at OLB is a big concern: Unga, Tapusoa, Fonua, Huntsman, etc. all are very unproven question marks. Some talent, sure, but so much unknown... safeties switched to LB, etc.

TE - A committe of 6, nobody really emerging... huge question mark position.

Kicker - Yikes. I expect lots of going for it on 4th down this year unless we're inside the 20.

SenorCougar
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: Depth Chart 2016

Post by SenorCougar »

Taysom for kicker. He did kickoffs in high school. I saw him hitting 50 yard field goals in high school pre-game warm ups. If nobody pans out, send out all-everything Taysom?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

SenorCougar wrote:Taysom for kicker. He did kickoffs in high school. I saw him hitting 50 yard field goals in high school pre-game warm ups. If nobody pans out, send out all-everything Taysom?
This is as good as any plan I've heard thus far for our pathetic kicking situation.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

I'm not convinced that our safeties are "very strong." Unless Hanneman is a MUCH better safety than he was a corner (I concede that it's POSSIBLE), we may have a very weak side of the field as far as help over the top. Hope the kid proves me wrong.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

SpiffCoug wrote:
SenorCougar wrote:Taysom for kicker. He did kickoffs in high school. I saw him hitting 50 yard field goals in high school pre-game warm ups. If nobody pans out, send out all-everything Taysom?
This is as good as any plan I've heard thus far for our pathetic kicking situation.
Makes the defense have to really wonder if you are going for two, going for the first down, or really kicking it.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
nuk13
All-American

Post by nuk13 »

I thought of Paul Hornung today. AT Notre Dame He played halfback and safety and won the Heisman as a quarterback. He also was the place kicker. At Green Bay he only played halfback but he also kicked. He would be among the leaders each year in scoring because of touchdowns and kicking. The difference between T. Hill and Hornung is speed. The needle goes to T. hill there.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... tml?pg=all

This is not official, just a guess.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

scott715 wrote:http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8656 ... tml?pg=all

This is not official, just a guess.
It's a poor guess too, IMO. Several key players missing.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Fido
All Star

Post by Fido »

It seems to match the 2-deep that loyalcougars put out the other day with a few minor exceptions (like Hunter Marshall above Nate Sampson at #2 TE, etc.). Which key players are missing? The names that seem missing to me are injured and not been cleared like Kyle Johnson or Brad Wilcox or Handsome Tanielu. Or is there some other key player I'm missing.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

Schmoe wrote:I'm not convinced that our safeties are "very strong." Unless Hanneman is a MUCH better safety than he was a corner (I concede that it's POSSIBLE), we may have a very weak side of the field as far as help over the top. Hope the kid proves me wrong.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe safety is his natural position so he was playing out of position last season which may somewhat excuse some of his lackluster performances.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins