Bad Tackling Taught Under Bronco?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Bad Tackling Taught Under Bronco?

Post by snoscythe »

Anyone who has watched a BYU game with me during the Bronco-era knows that the lack of tackling discipline drove me bonkers. Evidently it has been a point of emphasis for Kalani to turn that around.
Micah Hanneman wrote:Last year we would do the thud and wrap-up, then let go. It makes sense that it teaches bad tackling when you just wrap up with your arms because in the games when you just wrap up with your arms, people break arm tackles pretty easily in college.

They are teaching us now to get the head on the thick of their body and then click on the hips. When we go live, we are making all of our tackles. It's good technique.
http://www.heraldextra.com/sports/colle ... witterfeed

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Bad Tackling Taught Under Bronco?

Post by hawkwing »

Bad tackles has been a hallmark of BYU lately. I'll be very happy if that trend reverses.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Bad Tackling Taught Under Bronco?

Post by snoscythe »

hawkwing wrote:Bad tackles has been a hallmark of BYU lately. I'll be very happy if that trend reverses.
To be fair, I think it was a by-product of Bronco's "run-to-the-ball" gang-tackling. The priority under his bend-don't-break philosophy was to stop forward progress and then tackle, the idea being that if you just stop forward progress, the second and third guy coming could finish the job.....unless the second and third guys whiffed as well, of course.

I'm certain that Kalani's teams will have persistent weaknesses that we never saw under Bronco, but this is one that has been needing a fix for a long time.