When Do You Play Mangum?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

When do you plan to use your #2 Mangum?

Give him at least one series per game
34%
Let him run real plays at the end of blowouts (no new plays)
26%
Let him run out the clock at the end of wins to protect TH
5%
Let him hold on FG attempts
3%
Don't play him unless Taysom is injured and a winning season is possible/already in the bag
32%

Total votes: 38

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: When Do You Play Mangum?

Post by snoscythe »

Gunk wrote:First game. IMO Tanner should be the starter. Hill can't and shouldn't run like he did, negating his biggest strength. Tanner has the better arm. Start Tanner.
You must have been reading different practice reports than I have, because everything I read coming out of camp was that Taysom was passing just as well as, if not better than, Mangum.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

the few videos I've seen of hill show him throwing VERY well. I think he's going to surprise a lot of people this year with his passing. I think he'll be able to run just as well as he did in years past. Hill looked like a different qb last year @neb, I'm sure he's improved since then.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

If Tanner is as good as I think he is and can be, he will not be at BYU for 2019 season regardless, so why in the world would we NOT play him as the full-fledged backup in 2016?

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I could see Tanner playing 2016, 2017, and 2018. I could see him red shirting 2016 and then playing 2017-2019. The fact that he delayed his mission so he could grey shirt at BYU, IMO, shows that while football is important he isn't in a hurry to get through college.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

snoscythe wrote:
Gunk wrote:First game. IMO Tanner should be the starter. Hill can't and shouldn't run like he did, negating his biggest strength. Tanner has the better arm. Start Tanner.
You must have been reading different practice reports than I have, because everything I read coming out of camp was that Taysom was passing just as well as, if not better than, Mangum.
Until I see his performance on the field, I take any reports of his ability to throw the ball during practice with a huge grain of salt.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

SpiffCoug wrote:I could see him red shirting 2016 and then playing 2017-2019.
Detmer said yesterday there is no plan to redshirt Mangum this season.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Gunk wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
Until I see his performance on the field, I take any reports of his ability to throw the ball during practice with a huge grain of salt.
I saw his performance on the field last year against Nebraska. Taysom was clearly the better thrower on the field with only 1 foot. I love Tanner Mangum and his potential. Taysom is the better guy right now. Not playing him would be like Clemson benching Deshaun Watson because his backup was a "better thrower".

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

snoscythe wrote:
I must have missed those.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
golong
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by golong »

Playing Mangum occasionally doesn't mean you are running a two QB system. If Mangum is definitely not going to redshirt then you play if every game if you can to give him some live action and hone his skills too. I think Detmer will play Mangum when he can, afterall, Mangum is Detmer's future for 2017 and 2018,

hypercoug
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by hypercoug »

As soon as Taysom gets hurt. This question will be moot in a matter of a few short weeks. I just have this bad feeling he will get hurt at Rice-Chex stadium, ending his career. Foot fracture. Or a tweaked knee.