Anybody guess whose schedule this is?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Anybody guess whose schedule this is?

Post by scott715 »

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=16560961

F/+ rankings from footballoutsider.com in parentheses (BYU is #24) - Sagarin ratings for the two FCS opponents

vs. Southern Utah (#171)
vs. UNLV (#112)
Bye
Bye
at Indiana (#55)
vs. Auburn (#32)
vs. Colorado State (#99)
at Temple (#62)
vs. Montana State (#179)
Bye
at Nevada (#92)

This is BYU's opponents' schedule the week before they play us. So, people can say BYU will struggle playing a P5 schedule because of how we're doing against these opponents the past couple of years, but the reality is our opponents don't play a P5 schedule before they play us.

For comparison, here's Utah's opponents' schedule the week before their Utah matchup:

at Arizona (#67)
vs. Portland State (#160)
at Stanford (#5)
at Arizona State (#49)
at UCLA (#16)
vs. California (#56)
at Washington State (#57)
vs. Oregon State (#79)
BYE (same week as Utah's bye)
vs. Stanford (#5)
vs. Washington State (#57)

That's a MUCH different SOS than what BYU's opponents play the week before they play us. Even the one BYE on the schedule lines up with Utah's BYE week.

KingCoug
All-American

Re: Anybody guess whose schedule this is?

Post by KingCoug »

This is a good point and one of the big downsides to our independent schedule. We face tough teams early on, many of whom are in the cupcake part of their schedule. Obviously giving them extra time and opportunity to prep for us.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

As I mentioned elsewhere, while I was supportive of independence early on (and will remain so IF the Big 12 tries to tell BYU what it can't do in regards to Sunday play, the Honor Code, Church doctrine, etc), it's becoming increasingly clear of the many downsides to it. Lopsided scheduling being one of them.

My fear has just always been a case of "being careful what you wish for." I've had my doubts about being able to consistently compete in the Big 12, though I think we could do as well or better than any of the other candidates for expansion. Just looking at the current 10 teams, it's hard not to imagine us being among the bottom 3-4 teams most years.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Cougarfan87
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougarfan87 »

KingCoug wrote:This is a good point and one of the big downsides to our independent schedule. We face tough teams early on, many of whom are in the cupcake part of their schedule. Obviously giving them extra time and opportunity to prep for us.
Of course, the positive side to that is sometimes the best time to beat a good team is at the start of the season before they have worked things out. A cupcake won't give the same kind of preparation as playing some good conference opponents will. I think it cuts both ways.

Ninety-five percent of the lawyers make the other five percent of us look bad.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

I'm hoping after playing four very fast P5 teams, the Toledo Rockets will seem slow to BYU.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!