Toledo Preview 2016

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Toledo Preview 2016

Post by scott715 »

3-0 with a bye this week. Game is Friday 8:15pm on ESPN2. This is their bowl game on national TV. We have to win this game.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Toledo Preview 2016

Post by frdbtr »

This one is a must win if BYU wants to go bowling. If they lose this one it may be a while (like the SUU game) before they get the next one. Win it and the confidence could carry into the next difficult stretch.

McY
BLUEshirt

Post by McY »

At least BYU showed signs of life on the offensive side of the ball, which is encouraging. Would be tough to go in to the next game after a blowout or if the offense still looked so stagnant like the weeks before. Home game up next. Hopefully, the progress/improvement continues and provides a W.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

It doesn't look like Toledo has really been tested yet this season:
Week 1: Win @ Arkansas State 31-10
Week 2: Win vs Maine (FCS) 45-3
Week 3: Win vs Fresno State 52-17
Week 4: BYE

Toledo has a new head coach, but junior QB Logan Woodside has thrown for 11 TDs to 6 different receivers with only 1 INT. They had 2 rushers break out for 100 yard games against Fresno State (Kareem Hunt, Art Thompkins).

Defensively Toledo allows an average of 131 yards passing and 121 rushing and has 1 interception so far.

It has been a few years since Toledo has traveled out west, so hopefully a road trip to the west with a late start time also works in BYU's favor. But yes, this is pretty much a must win game with Michigan State, Mississippi State, and Boise State all coming up on the schedule after them.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

I expect Toledo to be a tough team, but one that will have 2 or 3 guys with elite speed and athleticism, whereas the teams we've played have had 6 to 10 guys at that level. It should be an easier matchup for the Cougars.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

if those players with elite speed are in the receiving corps, They will still destroy BYU if we can't get pressure on their QB like last week.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

frdbtr wrote:if those players with elite speed are in the receiving corps, They will still destroy BYU if we can't get pressure on their QB like last week.
I agree, but WVU has a legit Oline - as do the Ewetes and UCLA.

Toledo's Oline is nothing like the last 3 we have gone up against...

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

The biggest thing BYU needs to worry about is if the defense has figured out yet that it's legal for the RB to release to the flat and catch a pass. For whatever reason BYU could not figure that out against WVU.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

hawkwing wrote:The biggest thing BYU needs to worry about is if the defense has figured out yet that it's legal for the RB to release to the flat and catch a pass. For whatever reason BYU could not figure that out against WVU.
I felt like I was watching a Bronco defense "defend" wheel-routes all over again....

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote:
hawkwing wrote:The biggest thing BYU needs to worry about is if the defense has figured out yet that it's legal for the RB to release to the flat and catch a pass. For whatever reason BYU could not figure that out against WVU.
I felt like I was watching a Bronco defense "defend" wheel-routes all over again....
I don't remember the last time a Bronco defense gave up 3 drives for TD's that went for more than 80 yards in 1 game (at BYU). In fact Bronco's defenses rarely gave up TD drives where the team had to drive the entire field.