Toledo Preview 2016

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Toledo Preview 2016

Post by snoscythe »

frdbtr wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
hawkwing wrote:The biggest thing BYU needs to worry about is if the defense has figured out yet that it's legal for the RB to release to the flat and catch a pass. For whatever reason BYU could not figure that out against WVU.
I felt like I was watching a Bronco defense "defend" wheel-routes all over again....
I don't remember the last time a Bronco defense gave up 3 drives for TD's that went for more than 80 yards in 1 game (at BYU). In fact Bronco's defenses rarely gave up TD drives where the team had to drive the entire field.
I actually had a specific game in mind when I posted that --- BYU at TCU, 2009 -- I was in the stands for that debacle.

TCU had drives of 73, 80, 84, and 92 yards, all resulting in touchdowns....a lot of those yards coming on the good old wheel routes.

It was a re-run of the TCU beat-down the year before when they had touchdown drives of 72, 76, and 94 yards against the then #9 Cougars.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

snoscythe wrote:
frdbtr wrote:
snoscythe wrote:
hawkwing wrote:The biggest thing BYU needs to worry about is if the defense has figured out yet that it's legal for the RB to release to the flat and catch a pass. For whatever reason BYU could not figure that out against WVU.
I felt like I was watching a Bronco defense "defend" wheel-routes all over again....
I don't remember the last time a Bronco defense gave up 3 drives for TD's that went for more than 80 yards in 1 game (at BYU). In fact Bronco's defenses rarely gave up TD drives where the team had to drive the entire field.
I actually had a specific game in mind when I posted that --- BYU at TCU, 2009 -- I was in the stands for that debacle.

TCU had drives of 73, 80, 84, and 92 yards, all resulting in touchdowns....a lot of those yards coming on the good old wheel routes.

It was a re-run of the TCU beat-down the year before when they had touchdown drives of 72, 76, and 94 yards against the then #9 Cougars.
So basically 7 years ago. I would contend that the 2009 TCU team was as good as any team BYU has ever played and the Andy Dalton led offenses were as good of offenses as BYU has every played against. Not to give the defense a pass though, just to express that those offenses were better than the one we faced yesterday.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Not saying anything about how good/bad any given team was---all I ever said was that watching the RBs release to the flats for a dump pass they would turn into 15+ yard gains over-and-over-and-over had that same feeling of repeated futility as watching TCU use wheel-routes against Bronco time after time. Wasn't saying anyone was better than anyone else--just saying it had that same exasperating helpless feeling. You challenged me to refresh your memory, and I did.

Sorry if it's controversial to be reminded of games 7+ years ago (coached by coaches with a few years under their belts) by games this year (by a noob coaching staff). I'll avoid refreshing memories more than 3 years old.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.espn.com/college-football/st ... eamratings

ESPN Power Rankings
BYU #43
Tol #53

It will be a good game.

Oh by the way other 1-3 teams ahead of us are USC and ND.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

After studying up on Toledo a bit, they are a well built football team. This one has "struggle" written all over it for BYU. Toledo knows this is their chance to get on the road and make a lot of noise with a W.

BYU either wins a close one or Toledo rolls BYU. That's how I see this playing out.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

BroncoBot wrote:After studying up on Toledo a bit, they are a well built football team. This one has "struggle" written all over it for BYU. Toledo knows this is their chance to get on the road and make a lot of noise with a W.

BYU either wins a close one or Toledo rolls BYU. That's how I see this playing out.
I agree which means another week of complaining about BYU or in particular Taysom Hill whether BYU wins or not because fans have looked at Toledo as something equal to a FBS team all through the off season. I've looked at this as a tough team from the beginning, they won 10 games last year and are 3-0 this year. They know how to win, they are well coached and BYU is going to have to play better on both sides of the ball than they have so far this year in order to win this game.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

frdbtr wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:After studying up on Toledo a bit, they are a well built football team. This one has "struggle" written all over it for BYU. Toledo knows this is their chance to get on the road and make a lot of noise with a W.

I agree which means another week of complaining about BYU or in particular Taysom Hill whether BYU wins or not because fans have looked at Toledo as something equal to a FBS team all through the off season. I've looked at this as a tough team from the beginning, they won 10 games last year and are 3-0 this year. They know how to win, they are well coached and BYU is going to have to play better on both sides of the ball than they have so far this year in order to win this game.
They have an excellent QB. Which as spiff always points out... is a good thing if you want to win.

Really hoping for a W on Friday. If anyone has a spare ticket I could buy, let me know. I may drive out.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Toledo is in the Top 10 in every major category currently.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote:Toledo is in the Top 10 in every major category currently.
they remind me a lot of BYU from 06 to heaps.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

Going to the game and looking for trax/uta? Here you go: http://rideuta.com/news/2016/09/Ride-UT ... edo-vs-BYU