Which would be better?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Isola
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Which would be better?

Post by Isola »

I think it depends on the year. I agree that a win vs Utah State is better than losing to Texas A&M. I lean towards a softer schedule with more wins. I know the landscape is different now, but in the 80s we earned a lot of respect by beating up on a soft schedule year after year. Same in the MWC.

I think it should vary between 4-6 P5 schools per year. Start with 4 until we are getting double digit wins again. As the program improves schedule more and better P5 schools.

As a fan I prefer wins to loses, and I think we get more attention with a 10-2 record than a 6-6 record, regardless of how tough our schedule was.

YNot
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by YNot »

Isola wrote:I think it depends on the year. I agree that a win vs Utah State is better than losing to Texas A&M. I lean towards a softer schedule with more wins. I know the landscape is different now, but in the 80s we earned a lot of respect by beating up on a soft schedule year after year. Same in the MWC.

I think it should vary between 4-6 P5 schools per year. Start with 4 until we are getting double digit wins again. As the program improves schedule more and better P5 schools.

As a fan I prefer wins to loses, and I think we get more attention with a 10-2 record than a 6-6 record, regardless of how tough our schedule was.
See Boise St. They are 7-0 and ranked in the top-15 and the favorite for the MWC title and frontrunner for the Cotton Bowl. Boise St. has basically copied what BYU did in the '80's and '90's. The backup plan for Boise this year isn't that bad - Las Vegas Bowl against UCLA or Arizona St.

See also Houston. They are 6-1 and ranked in the top-15 and have a decent shot at the Cotton Bowl because they beat Oklahoma, despite a loss to Navy. Even if they fail to reach the Cotton Bowl, they still likely get an ACC opponent or Notre Dame in St. Pete or Maryland.

I'm conflicted. This really has been a fun and exciting season in many ways. However, a 4-4 record and no votes in the national rankings rub away a lot of the excitement.

But, we're *this* close to 6-2 or 7-1 or even 8-0 and a great national ranking and shot at a big bowl game.

But, we're also *that* close to 2-6 or 1-7 or even 0-8 and staying home for the holidays.

If BYU commits the resources to recruit competitively and retain coaches such that we can consistently be 6-2 or better against the 2016-type schedule, I think I would prefer Schedule #2.

However, I'm not convinced that this is the case. BYU would have a much easier path to shiny win-loss records and national rankings and relevancy with Schedule #1.

YNot
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by YNot »

I'm starting to lean towards getting whatever P5 games we can in October and November (see Michigan St., Mississippi St., Georgia Tech, Oregon St., Missouri, Virginia, Stanford, USC).

Then, get or keep a couple of P5 games in September (with or without the Ewetes)...

and then round out the schedule with MWC/AAC/FCS opponents - some of which will be easier than others. Keep Boise St. and Utah St. as annual opponents.

Like the 2020 schedule, but drop Utah or ASU if they won't play in October and add some AAC games:

SEPTEMBER
*SMU/Tulane
Michigan St.
at Arizona St.
*at UConn/Temple

OCTOBER
Utah St.
*FCS
at Boise St.
at Northern Illinois
BYE

NOVEMBER
Missouri
*at Cincinnati/UCF/Houston
*Hawaii
at Stanford

4 P5 opponents, 2 at home, but more spread out, including 2 in November. Boise St. and Utah St. rivalry games. Home schedule of SMU, Michigan St., Utah St., FCS, Missouri, and Hawaii is pretty decent. But, more winnable games.

2021 could also work well:

SEPTEMBER
Arizona (in Las Vegas)
*UConn/Temple
Arizona St.
at USF

OCTOBER
*at Utah St.
Boise St.
at SMU/Tulane
BYE
Virginia

NOVEMBER
at Baylor
*FCS
*SDSU/Fresno
at USC

5 P5, 2 at home and one neutral in Las Vegas. But, spread out, with 3 in late October/November. Home schedule of Tulsa, Arizona St., Boise St., Virginia, FCS, SDSU.