Bowl Game opponent

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jvquarterback
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Bowl Game opponent

Post by jvquarterback »

So the MWC has bowl tie-ins to six bowls (seven if the PAC doesn't fill its cactus bowl slot, and eight if BSU somehow wins the conference at 12-1 and make a NY6 game) and only six bowl eligible teams.

I'm guessing if SDSU and BSU get taken by the NY6, LV and/or the cactus bowl, the Poinsettia bowl would consider an at large bid for a team from the B1G, ACC, or SEC over a MWC team. I'm not sure about the selection process in the MWC but if you want a better opponent than Wyoming, AF, CSU or UNM here's a list of teams to root for this week and next.

PAC (7 Bowl slots, 8 if CFP, 6 currently eligible, 1 more if ASU beats UA)
UW - if they win out and make the CFB the PAC doesn't fill the Cactus bowl
UA - If they beat ASU this week the PAC fails to fill the Cactus bowl
If both happen a spot opens up in the LV bowl. Not sure we want that because at-large teams would prefer it to the Poinsettia bowl on a weird night.

B1G (9 bowl slots, 10 if CFP, 7 currently eligible, 10 possible and likely)
There are scenarios in which the B1G doesn't make the playoffs. Combine that with likely wins by IU, NW and Maryland over some pretty poor teams, and the B1G has an at-large team that would travel reasonably well.

ACC (10 bowl slots, 11 if CFP, 10 currently eligible, 12 possible)
If Clemson loses I don't think the ACC gets to the CFP. Combine that with wins by NCSt over UNC and/or BC ove WF and you have 1-2 at-large spots. BC might travel well to San Diego.

SEC (10 bowl slots, 11 if CFP, 10 currently eligible, 12 possible)
I think Alabama wins one its last two games and makes the CFP so this rests on Vanderbilt beating Tennessee and Miss beating MSU. Unlikely but possible.

None of this takes into account the 5-7 teams eligible to play in bowl games. I'd rather see BYU play 5-7 Duke, Syracuse, Indiana, or BC than SDSU, UNM, AF, CSU, or Wyoming.

I wish Holmoe had taken a conditional agreement with the Cactus bowl instead of a Poinsettia bowl. I think it would be 50/50 for the Cactus bowl with a bigger payout and a worst case situation of playing in the Poinsettia bowl. Oh well.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
YNot
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Bowl Game opponent

Post by YNot »

jvquarterback wrote:So the MWC has bowl tie-ins to six bowls (seven if the PAC doesn't fill its cactus bowl slot, and eight if BSU somehow wins the conference at 12-1 and make a NY6 game) and only six bowl eligible teams.

I'm guessing if SDSU and BSU get taken by the NY6, LV and/or the cactus bowl, the Poinsettia bowl would consider an at large bid for a team from the B1G, ACC, or SEC over a MWC team. I'm not sure about the selection process in the MWC but if you want a better opponent than Wyoming, AF, CSU or UNM here's a list of teams to root for this week and next.

PAC (7 Bowl slots, 8 if CFP, 6 currently eligible, 1 more if ASU beats UA)
UW - if they win out and make the CFB the PAC doesn't fill the Cactus bowl
UA - If they beat ASU this week the PAC fails to fill the Cactus bowl
If both happen a spot opens up in the LV bowl. Not sure we want that because at-large teams would prefer it to the Poinsettia bowl on a weird night.

B1G (9 bowl slots, 10 if CFP, 7 currently eligible, 10 possible and likely)
There are scenarios in which the B1G doesn't make the playoffs. Combine that with likely wins by IU, NW and Maryland over some pretty poor teams, and the B1G has an at-large team that would travel reasonably well.

ACC (10 bowl slots, 11 if CFP, 10 currently eligible, 12 possible)
If Clemson loses I don't think the ACC gets to the CFP. Combine that with wins by NCSt over UNC and/or BC ove WF and you have 1-2 at-large spots. BC might travel well to San Diego.

SEC (10 bowl slots, 11 if CFP, 10 currently eligible, 12 possible)
I think Alabama wins one its last two games and makes the CFP so this rests on Vanderbilt beating Tennessee and Miss beating MSU. Unlikely but possible.

None of this takes into account the 5-7 teams eligible to play in bowl games. I'd rather see BYU play 5-7 Duke, Syracuse, Indiana, or BC than SDSU, UNM, AF, CSU, or Wyoming.

I wish Holmoe had taken a conditional agreement with the Cactus bowl instead of a Poinsettia bowl. I think it would be 50/50 for the Cactus bowl with a bigger payout and a worst case situation of playing in the Poinsettia bowl. Oh well.
B12 and PAC will likely fail to fill all of their allotments. CBS Sports has Air Force in the Cactus Bowl against TCU and Tulsa in the Liberty Bowl versus Arkansas. SDSU in Vegas against ASU.

Poinsettia Bowl: BYU v. Wyoming

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Poinsettia is #2 and has to take a MWC team if one is available.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

If BYU and Vandy somehow pair up, my head will explode

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

snoscythe wrote:Poinsettia is #2 and has to take a MWC team if one is available.
I've been trying to find this info. I thought they just let the bowls pick the best matchups. Seems like if a P5 team that will travel is available, the Poinsettia bowl would take them.

If ye love the tranquility of servitude better than the contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.
Sam Adams
YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

jvquarterback wrote:
snoscythe wrote:Poinsettia is #2 and has to take a MWC team if one is available.
I've been trying to find this info. I thought they just let the bowls pick the best matchups. Seems like if a P5 team that will travel is available, the Poinsettia bowl would take them.
The bowls actually sign contracts with the conferences and/or teams. BYU has a contract with the Poinsettia to play in 2016 and 2018. BYU can get out of the contract if they are selected to play in the CFP or in an NY6 bowl.

Sometimes, bowls will negotiate to get out of the contract to get better matchups, but not often. In such an instance, the bowls and conferences/teams actually modify the contract - with a payment made to compensate the lower bowl.

There are scenarios where the Poinsettia Bowl could bring in a non-MWC team, but they are not likely to happen and its doubtful that the replacement team would be a P5 opponent. The scenarios mostly include P5 conference not having enough teams to fill their bowl commitments.

If BYU were ranked going into the bowl season, it might be more likely to happen; but BYU will not likely be ranked, so it's a non-issue.

jvquarterback
Heisman Winner

Post by jvquarterback »

YNot wrote:
jvquarterback wrote:
The bowls actually sign contracts with the conferences and/or teams. BYU has a contract with the Poinsettia to play in 2016 and 2018. BYU can get out of the contract if they are selected to play in the CFP or in an NY6 bowl.

Sometimes, bowls will negotiate to get out of the contract to get better matchups, but not often. In such an instance, the bowls and conferences/teams actually modify the contract - with a payment made to compensate the lower bowl.

There are scenarios where the Poinsettia Bowl could bring in a non-MWC team, but they are not likely to happen and its doubtful that the replacement team would be a P5 opponent. The scenarios mostly include P5 conference not having enough teams to fill their bowl commitments.

If BYU were ranked going into the bowl season, it might be more likely to happen; but BYU will not likely be ranked, so it's a non-issue.
On the MWC site (I know what am I doing there) they say there is no prearranged order for the bowls after the LV bowl. Just wondering where the Poinsettia is #2 came from.

Sam Adams