Kai Nacua, best Polynesian football player?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Kai Nacua, best Polynesian football player?

Post by Mars »

Sometimes some of us don't think about just how easy it is to be in the ethnic majority.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
pikoi
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by pikoi »

Mars wrote:Sometimes some of us don't think about just how easy it is to be in the ethnic majority.
Well said.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote: Sometimes some of us don't think about just how easy it is to be in the ethnic majority.
who is this ethnic majority that you speak of?

I consider the ethnic majority here in America to be "American". It's not a popular opinion in some circles, but I find those same circles to be largely divisive and short sighted in their goals. instead of celebrating diversity of all nations, race, orientations and backgrounds they pander to one particular group and use victim mentality to push their agenda which doesn't accomplish much more than whining.

had you said " Sometimes some of us don't think about just how easy it is to be in the RACIAL majority." I have no argument as I have been part of the "evil" majority my entire life. I really have no idea what it is like to be part of the minority you speak of If you are talking about race. But, my children may know what that is like eventually, certainly a possibility if the world is still around be the time I have grandchildren. I will be slightly disappointed if they are whining about not being able to have a "best white dude football player award" when that becomes a reality.

I've learned awards are usually highly political and don't necessarily represent the "best" of anything, especially when any racial, ethnic or other modifier is used as criteria.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Eh...I don't really care, but this day in age I feel race (genetics) oriented awards, programs, etc are more divisive than inclusive.

One has little to no control over their genetics. Yet, if you are born with a certain set of genetics you get to stand in a different line.

Now, many may say because of my genetic makeup I got to be in a better line. That may because of my genetics and that may not be. My grandparents that immigrated over here would argue it had more to do with work and sacrifice.

The difference with a "best Mormon" award versus "best [insert race/genetics]" award is one can choose their religion. One cannot choose their genetics.

Now, I have no idea what it's like to go through life with cells that produce more pigment than those of European dissent, but I do know what's like to be the only Mormon around - the jokes, the weird looks when people find out, the parents that don't let your children play with their kids anymore, the office whisperings about you, etc. It kinda sucks at times and makes you stick closer to "your own kind." If growing in America is anything like that for people with certain skin tones, well then, I can certainly empathize and don't really blame them for having their own award.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel