Bad first year for Bronco at Virginia

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Isola
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Bad first year for Bronco at Virginia

Post by Isola »

One year down Bronco and his crew at Virginia and it did not look good. The Cavs finished dead last in the ACC and just 2-10 on the year.

I liked Bronco and what he did for our program, but it probably was time to move on. I'm happy he left on his own because I don't think he deserved to get fired from BYU, but with the way things are going at Virginia I am not sure how long he will last.

I'm a little torn because part of me feels validated in my belief that Bronco had limited abilities and that he had taken BYU as far as he could, but he and his staff mean a lot to me and I hate to see them fail and potentially be out of jobs.

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Bad first year for Bronco at Virginia

Post by scott715 »

Next year they will do better. It took a while to install their schemes.

Sep. 2 Tribe William & Mary Tribe
Scott Stadium, Charlottesville, VA

Sep. 9 Hoosiers Indiana Hoosiers

Sep. 16 Huskies UConn Huskies

Sep. 23 Broncos at Boise State Broncos
Albertson's Stadium, Boise, ID

I bet they win 3 of those games.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Bronco bit off a lot with that job. The ACC was very tough this year and his team is terribly under talented. I still feel he will get that thing turned around but it may take some time. I think if the team shows improvement every year he will get the time to see it through. They need to get a serious upgrade in talent though so I guess we will see what kind of a recruiter Bronco and his staff can be when the honor code is not a factor.

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Brayden Green »

BYU is a destination school, UVA football not so much... I'm glad he got that golden parachute with all that money attached to it, and hope it works out well for him. I'm not sure that it will. He is at a place with heavy competition from rivals and, once again, finds himself the 3rd best team in the state (4th if you count the FCS team they lost to, I wouldn't). But this time he doesn't have recruits turning down offers from other schools to preferred walk on at his school, which was a pretty regular occurrence at BYU.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

imuakahuku
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by imuakahuku »

I think his biggest challenge will be recruiting. Unless he does most of it out West he is at huge disadvantage (just ask Wells). When you have no history in the area, virtually no contacts, and all you can do is show up and say " we are a D1 school" it will be hard to get the very best.
Plus this year I imagine he has had growing pains. From what I have witnessed out here, BYU players are way more disciplined and coach-able.