BYU Football in Conference or Not

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.

Conference or Not?

1. BYU should stay independent in football
87%
2. BYU should go back to MWC
5%
3. BYU should join the American Athletic Conference
8%

Total votes: 38

BOID
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU Football in Conference or Not

Post by BOID »

Puma, I'm not missing any enjoyment from the conference days. I am enjoying the big venue games on national TV. All of those are like bowl games, as far as excitement, national exposure, and a chance to see our Cougs play against top tier talent. INDY scheduling has blossomed and matured over five years. Going foreward, we're not likely to see any more Suu's or Idaho States on our schedule than the Utes, or most P5's have on theirs.

I really don't see how G5 conference membership provides any increased chances for NFP invites. We would fare better in those odds as an independent with a big time schedule, than we would at hoping to fortuitously end up as the top rated G5 champ. Those top rated G5 champs are only one lucky ticket per year, and not likely to be a ticket to the NFP, but rather just to a NY6 bowl on NY's day. So, going G5 would be giving up on any chances for NFP inclusion, in exchange for a slightly lowered threshold to NY6 berths. That just doesn't float my boat.

I like the roguish notoriety we get from independence, including the greater exposure on TV, as well as more national ink. Other programs and their boosters are intimidated by the challenges of independence, and they are thereby very impressed that BYU has the courage, and the national influence, to pull it off. Instant respect. Also, I am outside the continental U.S. and since independence, I have been able to see all the games, excepting only those on the CBSSN.

BYU gets way more street cred from the big time schedule afforded by independence, than could ever come from G5 membership. Our Cougs are called P5 equivalent now. We're playing Michigan, Nebraska, LSU, Wisconsin, Michigan State, Missisippi State, UCLA, USC, Stanford, and Baylor. Why would we want to give that up for G5 status?

I'm not sure I would want to give that up, even for P5 status. I'm not shouldering Tom Holmoe's job. It might be tough for him, and I appreciate his efforts. But, as a fan, I want things to continue as they are. As for G5, it's a no brainer: NO WAY.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Our game contracts say we can cancel the games if we join a P5 not G5 conference. I don't think we can go back now.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

Join the AAC or a new conference based on it. Here is what is possible using http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

15 Western Michigan
21 Temple
25 Houston
27 South Florida
31 BYU
32 Tulsa
34 Boise State
38 Western Kentucky
40 Memphis
47 Toledo
49 Navy
50 Appalachian State
52 Colorado State
57 San Diego State
58 Air Force
59 Central Florida(UCF)
69 Wyoming
72 New Mexico
73 Louisiana Tech
and others +75

Take the top 12 and it would not be bad. Could it get a team into the playoffs? Probably not but it could build to it. It would have a few top 25 teams.

Other AAC teams:
88 SMU
103 Tulane
114 Cincinnati
118 East Carolina
149 Connecticut

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

So Scott, that looks like an awful conference.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

I would like BYU in a conference but never the MWC. Independence > MWC and it isn't even close.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

scott715 wrote:Our game contracts say we can cancel the games if we join a P5 not G5 conference. I don't think we can go back now.
Not true. The language BYU requests is first that if they join a conference. Period. There is obviously push-and-pull, so if the other side balks at that, BYU will counter with if they "join a conference that includes at least four (4) schools from a current Power 5 Conference." See the Mizzou contract as an example:

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/colleg ... 202020.pdf

I have yet to see a BYU game contract that limits the affiliation change to a Power 5 conference.

In any event--they can back out of pretty much any game as long as they pay the buyout.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Anyone who voted going back to Hair's little group of misfits needs their head examined.

Stay independent with the following opponents...

Weber St/SUU
Utah
Utah State
Boise State
Hawaii
Notre Dame
Army
Navy
Air Force
UMass
P5 team
G5 team

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

scott715 wrote:Join the AAC or a new conference based on it. Here is what is possible using http://www.usatoday.com/sports/ncaaf/sagarin/

15 Western Michigan
21 Temple
25 Houston
27 South Florida
31 BYU
32 Tulsa
34 Boise State
38 Western Kentucky
40 Memphis
47 Toledo
49 Navy
50 Appalachian State
52 Colorado State
57 San Diego State
58 Air Force
59 Central Florida(UCF)
69 Wyoming
72 New Mexico
73 Louisiana Tech
and others +75

Take the top 12 and it would not be bad. Could it get a team into the playoffs? Probably not but it could build to it. It would have a few top 25 teams.

Other AAC teams:
88 SMU
103 Tulane
114 Cincinnati
118 East Carolina
149 Connecticut
You can't go off just the current seasons rankings. Western Michigan is #1 on the list but probably #57 or worse on the list of who you would actually want to see in your G5 conference.

Cincinnati and ECU, on the other hand, would be in the top-12.

Navy, Air Force, Boise St., San Diego St., and Houston would be my top 5.

YNot
All-American

Post by YNot »

KingCoug wrote:Anyone who voted going back to Hair's little group of misfits needs their head examined.

Stay independent with the following opponents...

Weber St/SUU
Utah
Utah State
Boise State
Hawaii
Notre Dame
Army
Navy
Air Force
UMass
P5 team
G5 team
Notre Dame won't play us. Neither will Navy, Army, or Air Force, at least annually.

But, I like your first 5. Try to get ONE of the military academies each season - that would be a tough task by itself.

Then, fill in with four P5 (besides Utah) and two G5 teams (not sure we want UMass as an annual opponent).

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

App St won their game and W Kentucky destroyed Memphis. They ran a trick knee down play. http://es.pn/2haiaRf