Taysom Hill

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Taysom Hill

Post by BroncoBot »

Had a good to great pro day. Scouts apparently impressed by his athleticism.

Here's my question, will he go down as most under appreciated QB in BYU history with the fan favorite Mangum sitting on the sideline? I can't think of anyone less appreciated unless you count "gritty" Nelson. Could be an interesting poll.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Taysom Hill

Post by frdbtr »

BroncoBot wrote:Had a good to great pro day. Scouts apparently impressed by his athleticism.

Here's my question, will he go down as most under appreciated QB in BYU history with the fan favorite Mangum sitting on the sideline? I can't think of anyone less appreciated unless you count "gritty" Nelson. Could be an interesting poll.
Mangum's backup is going to be the fan favorite next year if the offensive line and receivers don't improve.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

frdbtr wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:Had a good to great pro day. Scouts apparently impressed by his athleticism.

Mangum's backup is going to be the fan favorite next year if the offensive line and receivers don't improve.
Seems to be the trend.
Nelson - hated because Hill is on Bench
Hill - hated because mangum on Bench

Remember those calling to bench Hall so Nelson could play? Good times cougar fans.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

BroncoBot wrote:
frdbtr wrote:

Seems to be the trend.

Remember those calling to bench Hall so Nelson could play? Good times cougar fans.
I don't like the word hated in this instance. Nelson wasn't "hated" because Hill was on the bench. He was "hated" because he was playing like garbage and the team wasn't winning like it should.

Hill was "hated" because Mangum wa son the bench. He was "hated" because he was playing poorly and the team was losing winnable games (the defense gave BYU 11 (ELEVEN!!!!) turnovers against Boise & Utah & we still lost)(and poor offensive play cost us West Virginia and UCLA)

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

SpiffCoug wrote:
BroncoBot wrote:
frdbtr wrote:

Seems to be the trend.

I don't like the word hated in this instance. Nelson wasn't "hated" because Hill was on the bench. He was "hated" because he was playing like garbage and the team wasn't winning like it should.

Hill was "hated" because Mangum wa son the bench. He was "hated" because he was playing poorly and the team was losing winnable games (the defense gave BYU 11 (ELEVEN!!!!) turnovers against Boise & Utah & we still lost)(and poor offensive play cost us West Virginia and UCLA)
When your premier receiver is Nick Kurtz it isn't a surprise that your QB is playing like "garbage".

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Then we agree. They were playing like garbage and THAT is why they were "hated." They weren't "hated" because of who was on the bench behind them.

(8.4x
..................ATT
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Taysom Hill should never be hated. He was a special player that gave BYU his all. The fact that he struggled running a new offense with a horrible offensive line and the worst set of receivers I have ever seen at BYU was not his fault. I will be giving Mangum this same benefit of doubt this season if I see the same scenario playing out again too.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I'm a Texas Rangers fan, and I view Taysom Hill a bit like Josh Hamilton (lets ignore all the off-the-field stuff with Hamilton for the sake of this comparison).

As a Rangers fan, you can choose to remember Josh Hamilton as the guy who mesmerized us all with his 2008 season, highlighted by his Home Run Derby spectacular:

Or you can remember him as the guy who after that disappeared in the run-up to the post-season year-after-year when you needed him most because don't-you-know-people-with-light-irises-can't-play-baseball-during-the-day.

With Taysom, you have a choice -- you can choose to remember him for the performances against Texas and the times he made you shake your head in disbelief, or you can choose to focus on his unfulfilled promise and struggles thereafter.

Again, an imperfect comparison because a lot of the Hamilton stuff has to do with his personal choices, whereas Taysom's were not, but you get to choose what you want to remember guys for. I choose to remember how they made me feel when they were at their best -- because without that and the levels they reached early, they couldn't have disappointed later on.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

frdbtr wrote:Taysom Hill should never be hated. He was a special player that gave BYU his all. The fact that he struggled running a new offense with a horrible offensive line and the worst set of receivers I have ever seen at BYU was not his fault. I will be giving Mangum this same benefit of doubt this season if I see the same scenario playing out again too.
Agreed. Which is why I put "hated" in quotes.

I don't think 2016 was the worst set of receivers. That was 2003 when our best receivers were Toby Christensen, and Chris Hale. Although it's not by much. 2003 and 2016 should both be infamous for BYU fans when it comes to WR production.

2016 had 5 WRs w/ more than 20 catches. 2003 had 3.
2016 had 4 WRs w/ more than 300 yards receiving. 2003 had 2.
2003 had 2 WRs w/ 4 TD catches. 2016 had 1.
2003 had 3 WRs w/ a long catch of more than 40 yards. 2016 had 1.

(8.4x
..................ATT
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

SpiffCoug wrote:
frdbtr wrote:Taysom Hill should never be hated. He was a special player that gave BYU his all. The fact that he struggled running a new offense with a horrible offensive line and the worst set of receivers I have ever seen at BYU was not his fault. I will be giving Mangum this same benefit of doubt this season if I see the same scenario playing out again too.
Agreed. Which is why I put "hated" in quotes.

I don't think 2016 was the worst set of receivers. That was 2003 when our best receivers were Toby Christensen, and Chris Hale. Although it's not by much. 2003 and 2016 should both be infamous for BYU fans when it comes to WR production.

2016 had 5 WRs w/ more than 20 catches. 2003 had 3.
2016 had 4 WRs w/ more than 300 yards receiving. 2003 had 2.
2003 had 2 WRs w/ 4 TD catches. 2016 had 1.
2003 had 3 WRs w/ a long catch of more than 40 yards. 2016 had 1.
If I could have infused a fraction of Toby Christiansen's toughness into Nick Kurtz I would have.