BYU vs Utah

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: BYU vs Utah

Post by frdbtr »

UCChris wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 7:00 pm
cougarnerd wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 4:40 pm
KingCoug wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:01 pm Just one more reason to despise these pieces of yewt.
That goes to show how classless they are. I have a few friends and know some good people who are U of U fans, but as a whole, I have no respect to the university or the team wearing red. Many are so disparaging that it seems to be a personal insult to them for us to belong to a different fan base...not that these guys want to kill us, but almost the same personal feelings as the Muslim-Christian rivalry.
Yeah, I'm gonna disagree with you there. This was 99.99% likely to be some stupid college students. Of which BYU has PLENTY! Calling a whole fanbase classless because of a couple stupid students, well that doesn't make much sense does it?

Maybe Utah fans would be less annoyed with Y fans if we were less holier-than-thou. (Not saying you specifically, just in general)
I disagree. Nothing that a BYU fan does should have any affect on how ute fans act. Yes, there are some classless BYU fans but the utes have a national reputation as being the worst most classless fans. Just ask the PAC12. Everyone knows it.

KingCoug
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by KingCoug »

I hate when people play the equivalence card, ie "both sides have bad fans," etc. The Utes has way more bad fans and they're far worse than ours. And stating that fact isn't "holier than thou." It's just the truth.

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I'm kinda okay with the spray-painting. Seems like a typical Animal House-style college prank. And it came off fairly quickly too. We gotta protect our statues better though.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Depressing...

Doug Robinson: Reversal of fortune—How Utah and BYU switched places

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/865 ... laces.html

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

IMO, the biggest issue in that entire article that caused the "reversal" is the talent decline, namely The Crowton scandals and the mandate to make sure it never happened again by the BOT. IMO, Mendenhall had just started to increase recruiting because he had shown he was able to run a clean program when he left. I have heard that Kalani is a "master recruiter", I hope it turns out to be true but so far I have been unimpressed.

Woody3715
Recruit
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by Woody3715 »

While the head coach will often "close" the top rated recruits, the large majority of recruiting is done by the assistant coaches. Each builds connections and "pipelines" to certain high school coaches. One problem is hiring Ty Detmer and others that have no coaching experience or have been out of coaching for a while, is that they don't have these connections. This can make recruiting good players a lot more difficult.