Why is everyone saying BYU is rebuilding

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Why is everyone saying BYU is rebuilding

Post by frdbtr »

K so Last I checked, BYU went 9-4 Bronco's last year and 9-4 last year so how is that "rebuilding". I thought rebuilding is what Bronco did in 05. Kalani took over a program that was winning every year, if it stops winning, the next coach will have to rebuild. Having said that, I am hoping that the current coaching staff gets this thing fixed and we keep winning.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: Why is everyone saying BYU is rebuilding

Post by byufan4ever »

frdbtr wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:53 pm K so Last I checked, BYU went 9-4 Bronco's last year and 9-4 last year so how is that "rebuilding". I thought rebuilding is what Bronco did in 05. Kalani took over a program that was winning every year, if it stops winning, the next coach will have to rebuild. Having said that, I am hoping that the current coaching staff gets this thing fixed and we keep winning.
I agree and was thinking on similar lines except I wouldn't say "everyone" is saying that. I won't hide the fact that I liked Bronco, but I do think that he left the cupboards bare in the WR and OL areas. But Kalani was able to be quite successful last year with Bronco's recruits.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

The most common excuse I've seen is "it's only been 3 games since losing Taysom and Jamaal". I don't think it's a great excuse. But it's better than the "submit your resume" strawman argument that some think makes sense.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

I can see it being labeled "rebuilding" in that many of the players on offense that are doing things are freshmen (Bushman, Tolutau). There aren't many great seniors on that offensive side of the ball and no clear leader inspiring the team to move forward (sadly not even Mangum). The defense is a different story.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BYU has the talent on the offensive line and the receiving corps if they had the coaching to utilize them. BYU is not rebuilding. BYU is being poorly coached.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

frdbtr wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:33 pm BYU has the talent on the offensive line and the receiving corps if they had the coaching to utilize them. BYU is not rebuilding. BYU is being poorly coached.
Careful there, some will say you are not a true BYU fan and should find some other team to support! Some may call you names for criticizing a coach! :bug:

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

I'm sorry, but "Coach so-and-so doesn't seem to be doing a very good job right now" is not a personal attack. Some people get weird in how far they go to play apologist.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

byufan4ever wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 11:31 pm
frdbtr wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:33 pm BYU has the talent on the offensive line and the receiving corps if they had the coaching to utilize them. BYU is not rebuilding. BYU is being poorly coached.
Careful there, some will say you are not a true BYU fan and should find some other team to support! Some may call you names for criticizing a coach! :bug:
I've been singing this song since the first game of the year 2016 and no one has called me out on it. The reason why is because my arguments are consistent, non personal, and based on what is truly happening on the field. I don't expect anyone to call me out on it. Last of all, I think Ty Detmer is fine and that his offense would be working great right now with better offensive line and receiver play. The RB situation is still under review IMO.

Fido
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Fido »

How can you tell the difference between receiver talent who is not being coached well and receivers who just aren't doing what is needed (fighting contact at the line, running good routes, catching the ball when it hits them in the hands, etc.)? How do we know that the coaches aren't doing a good job? It's a serious question--not a judgement one way or the other on anyone.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Fido wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2017 8:02 am How can you tell the difference between receiver talent who is not being coached well and receivers who just aren't doing what is needed (fighting contact at the line, running good routes, catching the ball when it hits them in the hands, etc.)? How do we know that the coaches aren't doing a good job? It's a serious question--not a judgement one way or the other on anyone.
That's a good question because who's to say whether the intangibles are there or not. My opinion is due to how I saw marshmallow receivers turn into guys who would make the tough catches in 2015 with a good receivers coach. Mitch Matthews was an absolute marshmallow in 13 and in 14 but in 15 he improved. Then last year and this year under "pillows and feathers" we have seen the same soft receiver play we saw before Guy Holladay was here. I may be wrong and we just have crappy receivers but IMO if we had a guy who demanded toughness at the receiver position, we would have tougher receivers. As far as the offensive line, we have had a crappy offensive line since 2009 on (09 was respectable but got worse every year after).