What sets off a QB controversy?

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

What sets off a QB controversy?

Post by snoscythe »

Assuming Beau Hoge gets the start tomorrow against Whiskey, what level of performance from Hoge would create a QB controversy in your mind when Tanner returns?

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: What sets off a QB controversy?

Post by hawkwing »

Responsible for 2 TDs?

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

If Hoge shows that he's able to move the ball even when we're not in hurry-up, I might want him to stay.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

There is no QB controversy because none of our QB's are going to look worth anything until we get some guys who want to fight to get open and catch the freaking ball. Last year it was "Bring on Mangum" and he looked horrible against Wyoming, and looks horrible this year. It doesn't matter folks.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Sure it does frdbtr. If BYU adds one more weapon to its O attack, it may just be enought to more consistently move the chains. Beau is not near as good as Taysom, but he has wheels---thegreat equalizer. Not all that is wrong with the O is on TM, but alot is. And I honestly dont think that Beau's completion % will be any less than TMs over several games.

What sets off a QB contro? Coaches who confuse practice performance vs game performance. Coaches who Confuse seniority with qbs who have "game" at game time speed. Coaches who force scheme to an incongruent group of players.
Injury to the named starter and the next guy up does at ;east as good or bad.
PLayers that play harder or have more confidence and hope for one guy vs another guy. Coaches that go back to the original starter bc he was supposed to have NFL potential.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

So all last year we moaned that Taysom couldn't throw and we wanted Tanner because he would "run the offense like it is supposed to be run". Now that the offense looks horrible with him, we want Hoge because he has the ability to run. The problem I have with that is, if there is no passing threat, the run is easy to stop. Why do you think everyone thought Taysom had lost a step last year and now he is running past Pro DB's scoring touchdowns. Incidentally, Taysom is now throwing to Pro WR's and all of a sudden looks like a passing QB that has amazing wheels, similar to what he looked like against Nebraska before losing one of his wheels. Like I said above, until we get WR's that are physical and work to get open and catch the freaking ball, all of our QB's are going to look horrible. The running game will get stuffed and BYU's fans are going to find a scapegoat for why it all isn't working. The funny thing is, I assumed that Ty's legend status would keep him out of the blame for a few games more than it has.
Last edited by frdbtr on Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

frdbtr wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:10 pm So all last year we moaned that Taysom couldn't throw and we wanted Tanner because he would "run the offense like it is supposed to be run". Now that the offense looks horrible with him, we want Hodge because he has the ability to run. The problem I have with that is, if there is no passing threat, the run is easy to stop. Why do you think everyone thought Taysom had lost a step last year and now he is running past Pro DB's scoring touchdowns. Incidentally, Taysom is now throwing to Pro WR's and all of a sudden looks like a passing QB that has amazing wheels, similar to what he looked like against Nebraska before losing one of his wheels. Like I said above, until we get WR's that are physical and work to get open and catch the freaking ball, all of our QB's are going to look horrible. The running game will get stuffed and BYU's fans are going to find a scapegoat for why it all isn't working. The funny thing is, I assumed that Ty's legend status would keep him out of the blame for a few games more than it has.
BYU fans are extremely fickle. I'm excited to see what Beau Tanner can do. He'd have to play Dang near perfect with a blowout win against Wisc ANF the offense will need to look better than it has under Taysom or Tanner AND for the coaches to actually come out and say that Beau is the man before I'm jumping off the Mangum bandwagon.

Taysom had one of the best records vs power 5 schools. Tanner has yet to beat anyone of importance. Unless you consider BSU of importance, which I don't.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BroncoBot wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:39 am
frdbtr wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:10 pm So all last year we moaned that Taysom couldn't throw and we wanted Tanner because he would "run the offense like it is supposed to be run". Now that the offense looks horrible with him, we want Hodge because he has the ability to run. The problem I have with that is, if there is no passing threat, the run is easy to stop. Why do you think everyone thought Taysom had lost a step last year and now he is running past Pro DB's scoring touchdowns. Incidentally, Taysom is now throwing to Pro WR's and all of a sudden looks like a passing QB that has amazing wheels, similar to what he looked like against Nebraska before losing one of his wheels. Like I said above, until we get WR's that are physical and work to get open and catch the freaking ball, all of our QB's are going to look horrible. The running game will get stuffed and BYU's fans are going to find a scapegoat for why it all isn't working. The funny thing is, I assumed that Ty's legend status would keep him out of the blame for a few games more than it has.
BYU fans are extremely fickle. I'm excited to see what Beau Tanner can do. He'd have to play Dang near perfect with a blowout win against Wisc ANF the offense will need to look better than it has under Taysom or Tanner AND for the coaches to actually come out and say that Beau is the man before I'm jumping off the Mangum bandwagon.

Taysom had one of the best records vs power 5 schools. Tanner has yet to beat anyone of importance. Unless you consider BSU of importance, which I don't.
If Tanner is injured, I am all in on Hoge. Having said that, I don't expect to see better QB play when/if he plays this afternoon.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

frdbtr wrote: Fri Sep 15, 2017 11:10 pm So all last year we moaned that Taysom couldn't throw and we wanted Tanner because he would "run the offense like it is supposed to be run". Now that the offense looks horrible with him, we want Hoge because he has the ability to run. The problem I have with that is, if there is no passing threat, the run is easy to stop. Why do you think everyone thought Taysom had lost a step last year and now he is running past Pro DB's scoring touchdowns. Incidentally, Taysom is now throwing to Pro WR's and all of a sudden looks like a passing QB that has amazing wheels, similar to what he looked like against Nebraska before losing one of his wheels. Like I said above, until we get WR's that are physical and work to get open and catch the freaking ball, all of our QB's are going to look horrible. The running game will get stuffed and BYU's fans are going to find a scapegoat for why it all isn't working. The funny thing is, I assumed that Ty's legend status would keep him out of the blame for a few games more than it has.
Except I never believed that TM could run the offense better. Think Michigan! And several games since-- including, barely ball worthy, lowly Wyoming.
But, your post, these points, prove my point. In multiple threads, I have argued that Tanner never was that great of a passer. And very tall receivers made him look much better than he was. Plus an O scheme that still allowed him to just chuck it.
What TH brought was at least as good of passing as Tanner but, plus an explosive ability to run, even though he would slow down after several injuries. Beau Will have the same thing. It is a bailout factor when everything else fails. And that ability to run is just enough of an added dimension, to help this offense more consistently move the chains. Like I've said, it's not all Tanner's fault. Yes, our receivers suck. And it seems like the same thing, round two with Coach Cahoon.
As for Taysom being some some "passer with wheels" i'm not sure if Green Bay would agree. Otherwise, they would have kept him. I'm not putting him down. But being fourth best and cut from an NFL team hardly supports your point.
I'm not fickle. Tanner has looked very average in the passing game for quite some time. I'm not sure what happened to him since he won Co-MVP at the elite camp. Maybe BYU coaches have ruined him? I don't know. But nobody believes, that he is An elite passer. We are all cheering for him, but even the most positive people on this site Have concluded that he struggles to throw and make decisions in the places that he can, on a consistent basis; as an upperclassman should be able to. If he can't make plays and throws in the plays that he should and could,… And that's not to blame him for all of the dropped balls , Poor running game, etc. etc., Something had to be done. Getting injured, just makes it easier on the coaches to see if a running QB can help make up a little bit of the difference for all the deficits this group of players has in the supposed "advanced" offensive scheme.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

frdbtr wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 1:05 am
BroncoBot wrote: Sat Sep 16, 2017 12:39 am

If Tanner is injured, I am all in on Hoge. Having said that, I don't expect to see better QB play when/if he plays this afternoon.
Duh. It's his first start. Tanner is out of excuses. Either player will look better against weaker defenses up coming.