The real problem no one is talking about

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: The real problem no one is talking about

Post by BoiseBYU »

hawkwing wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:49 pm I'd say the biggest problem no one is talking about is three fold...

1. BYU doesn't have an offense that can score points.
2. BYU doesn't have a defense that can stop opposing teams from scoring points.
3. BYU's special teams are poor to awful.
Other than that Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Mars »

The main problem is that we got the coaches we were willing to pay for. Experience matters.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

Mars wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:28 pm The main problem is that we got the coaches we were willing to pay for. Experience matters.
We're seeing on-the-job training with our coaching staff. Bad thing is it's all live training, learn from your mistakes, not learn from a mentor and work your way up. Even our head coach is pretty junior in his career. The experience isn't there, like you say.

Assuming BYU sticks with this staff and these coaches have the talent and just do need some "time," we're still looking at 2-3 seasons before we're rolling. In the mean time, BYU will lose all sorts of fans as apathy continues to plague fans.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Mars wrote: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:28 pm The main problem is that we got the coaches we were willing to pay for. Experience matters.
BYU couldn't even keep a "crappy" coach and O-coordinator at BYU.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Sadly we even raised the amount we were paying the coaching staff considerably between the two staffs.

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Yes, I agree that our coaches are experienced. And that seems to be at least a fair amount of the problem. But who else do you propose that byu get? Kalani has no less experience than Bronco had as a coordinator before he became a coordinator and then head coach at BYU. Kalani has been mentored by two decent HCs directly and a Hall of fame coach (LaVel) in directly over the last decade prior to his death. I know, it's their collective inexperience that really adds up. But other coaches have risen up and gone into the wind. ;-) Why can't these guys?
I think people need to face the fact that BYU will NEVER get Or hire a Hall of Fame or top talent coach. The coach may develop overtime as such, but it just simply is not going to happen.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

The head coach at Navy would have been an option if we had given him more than a curtesy interview. The Dcoordinator at Stanford, and the Ocoordinator for the Seattle Seahawks are also LDS and would have been an option if BYU hadn't decided that Kalani was going to be the HC as soon as Bronco left. There are options if BYU wants to pay for them.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

frdbtr wrote: Tue Sep 19, 2017 12:18 pm the Ocoordinator for the Seattle Seahawks .... would have been an option if BYU hadn't decided that Kalani was going to be the HC as soon as Bronco left. There are options if BYU wants to pay for them.
Darrell Bevell is not coming to college any time soon. He has interviewed each of the past two seasons for NFL head-coaching jobs, and should have his own NFL team within two or three more seasons as he distances himself from the infamous Super Bowl play call.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Whether we could have gotten him or not we will never know because we never pursued him at all. That is the difference between BYU and a Power 5 school. Power 5 schools would have gone after their most qualified candidate and made him an attractive offer making it hard for him to turn it down. BYU interviews Ken N as a curtesy call and meets Kyle W at the airport hoping to get some interest and then goes hard after a guy who wasn't a standout at any of his previous jobs like he was the big time guy. Then allows him to hire a network of good ole boys without any college coaching experience with the exception of Ed Lamb, and now we are all decrying the results. I am willing to give this year a mulligan if I see significant improvement in our competitiveness next year but if not, I will be pulling out my pitchfork. This years team is embarrassing. I am not enjoying watching at all. I have always gotten irritated over losses but I can live with losses when I see effort on the field. This years team doesn't even seem to be playing hard on either side of the ball.

KingCoug
All-American

Post by KingCoug »

Not that I'm bailing on Sitake but, since the coaching possibilities keep coming up, this list was posted at the link below when BYU was looking for Bronco's replacement.

Andy Reid
Mike Holmgren
Mike Leach
Norm Chow
Ken Niumatalolo
Darrell Bevel
Lance Anderson
Kalani Sitake
Mike Canales
Nick Howell
Ed Lamb
Charlie Stubs
Brandon Doman
Ty Detmer
Max Hall
Reno Mahe
Robert Anae
Kyle Whittingham
Gary Crowton

http://www.vanquishthefoe.com/2014/1/6/ ... mendenhall

"What we're not going to do is start scheduling unintelligently." - Danny White, UCF Athletic Director