The real problem no one is talking about

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

The real problem no one is talking about

Post by Brayden Green »

I'm not sure why people are saying that the offensive line is talented. Just because you are a returning starter and you sucked last year, that doesn't make you talented. I would have been happier if we didn't return anyone not named Tejan to starter on the line.

I have seen no evidence of them being talented. They are getting beat at the point of attack week after week, play after play. Even against Portland State. The quarterbacks have almost zero time to drop back and find someone. And that is generally with a straight rush.

The few times that we do have time to throw, it is generally a straight rush (the expected normal) or they have dropped into some sort of protect/zone scheme, and aren't sending additional men.

5 - 6 blockers should be able to handle 4 men rushing for more than 1 or 2 seconds. There is no excuse for the way they are getting beat.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

BoiseBYU
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: The real problem no one is talking about

Post by BoiseBYU »

Thought you'd be talking about pass defense. We must be on track for giving up the highest completion percentage ever.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

I like the talent level, but I've said since Spring that these guys are a year away. Austin Hoyt gets unfairly lumped in with the other under-performers -- he's played pretty dang well to date.

AmmonCougar1
Sophomore

Post by AmmonCougar1 »

Funny, I figured you would be the one saying we need Bronco's D back and Anae's O. Oh wait...who am I talking to? TIC! We have several areas that need improvement. To pinpoint a single player, group of players (ie. Secondary, O-Line, etc) or coach is foolish. We just plain stink and will struggle to make a bowl game at the rate we are going.

Go Cougs!!!
J. Child
Ammon, ID

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Luckily we play 8 terrible teams this year.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

BoiseBYU wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:51 pm Thought you'd be talking about pass defense. We must be on track for giving up the highest completion percentage ever.
And I just saw the stats in the twitter feed:

BYU is allowing 82.4% completions vs FBS teams, worst in the nation.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

Mars wrote: Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:49 pm Luckily we play 8 terrible teams this year.
We are a terrible team this year. We will be lucky to make a bowl game without HUGE improvement.

UtahSportsPage
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU is OK

Post by UtahSportsPage »

Coaching is a factor in the O-line struggles. Mike Empey was a tight ends coach under Crowton and wasn't retained when Bronco took over. He had been out of college football coaching since 2005 before coming back last year. His inexperience has trickled down to the linemen, I think, in their struggles with blocking technique. Inexperienced coaching can make it harder to develop athletes properly.
Last edited by UtahSportsPage on Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Utah Sports Page is blogging about the Utah Jazz, Utah Utes, BYU Cougars, Utah State Aggies, Real Salt Lake and other Utah sports teams. Follow us at @UTSportsPage on Twitter
Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Interesting post from CougarBoard -
"My sincere recommendation-may strike a nerve
As I have mentioned before, my first game was at Cougar Stadium the first part of September 1977 when BYU hosted Kansas State. Coach Edwards was our stake athletic director at the time. I went to high school with Kyle Whittingham, Craig Garrick, Devin Durrant, Brad Wilcox, Kurt Kragthorpe, Steve Perry, etc. Massively talented PHS graduating class in 1978 (not mine). I bleed blue. I played hoops in the MC after hours with some of the Anderson brothers when Ladell coached. I love BYU. It's my alma mater. I have drunk the kool aid for so many years my teeth are stained blue. I give financially. My kids have gone and one still attends BYU. One of mine was fortunate enough to play a team sport at BYU and rep the "Y." I say all this to set up my next part.

A good dose of serving others would help quite a few of you. I find this past weekend that the group of BYU fans I was with in Florida serving Irma victims cared about the game, but cared more about individuals than the game. The inordinate ratio of not serving others to spending time arguing whether the offensive scheme should be altered or a coach fired would be massive. If you find that you are frustrated as a fan, spend more time with your wife or children or grandchildren if you're so lucky.

I have been around some of these coaches and administrators. They want to win more than you... But, just like in a family where there are often things you don't see as a casual observer, there are many things going on behind the scenes at BYU football. I am ashamed at some of the absolute ridicule and hate thrown down by anonymous members of this board. To think that the vast majority of you haven't coached a down of real football or managed a program with boosters and budgets. To have the HC and the missionary program and the recruiting challenges. It's one thing to be a fan. But, temper your oftime asinine comments. Kalani is a wonderful coach and a better man. He is tasked with building a program. Rome wasn't build in a day, nor will the BYU football team's issue be solved in a season or two. Recruiting takes time. Enjoy BYU sports. And as they improve, "do something more than dream of your mansions on high. Doing good is a pleasure, a joy beyond measure. A blessing of duty and love." I promise you you'll feel better.

Mic dropped. Elvis now leaves the building."

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=18463399

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

I'd say the biggest problem no one is talking about is three fold...

1. BYU doesn't have an offense that can score points.
2. BYU doesn't have a defense that can stop opposing teams from scoring points.
3. BYU's special teams are poor to awful.