QB questions:

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: QB questions:

Post by BroncoBot »

mtnradio wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:28 pm
BOID wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:05 am
Cougs_Rule wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:47 pm
frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:49 pm The only answer is Tanner M, for both. If Tanner had been coached correctly, he would be breaking BYU passing records all over the place.
Global warming is the coaches fault too.

I get coaching needs a lot of help if not changes.

But, Your one hit wonder Schtick is getting old.

I'm sure his depression, anxiety, medication effects, and failed engagement are the coaches fault too.
There is some truth to this. The players own some of the responsibility. Coaching is only part of the equation. The whole program must come together. Some of the players have already said as much.

As an aside, global warming is not anthropogenic, and not driven by the small atmospheric CO2 changes of the past 60 years, and not accelerating over the past two centuries, and therefore, is no one's fault. But your reference to it is pithy, and I appreciate the irony.
There are a LOT of considerations that we, as fans ... even some knowledgeable fans, just don't understand.
I totally agree. My biggest question is... Do the current coaches understand these things well enough to have it all come together?

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Three reasons that contributed to a lot of Tanners success two years ago:
6'4", 6'5", 6'6" experienced dudes. Just chuck it and forget it.
Taysom's passing stats weren't worse last year than Any year before. We know he was never an elite passer.
Why could Tanner not overtake Taysom when there was at least a stated open comp when Ty arrived? The same reason why Beau had more success for one half more than Tanner has in any half prior to SJSU: Tanner is not an elite passer and he doesn't have elite height/talent at WR to cover up his weaknesses. Nor players around him that can make up the difference. Not all Tanners fault, but Ty can't coach a Jr QB who should be an elite passer to not throw it in the dirt, even yesterday several times. He showed improvement vs a very very bad team. I would not say he looked "great."
If nothing else, this whole sale blame of coaches, notwithstanding their deficiencies, dishonors and enables players that should care more about their effort and results.

vancouvercougar
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by vancouvercougar »

As I watch the stat line during the early parts of the game, Tanner has great passing stats. 5 for 6 — 4 for 4 etc. Then it seems that his efficiency declines.

Maybe someone with more savvy could justify or denounce my uninformed thoughts.

Sammich
Senior

Post by Sammich »

I thought Marc Lyons made an interesting point yesterday, that Tanner is a 'big play guy' and not a 'consistency guy,' meaning that he's not accurate enough to pull off the small-gain, march-down-the-field plays the coaches have been calling, but when put into situations where he's told to pull out big plays, he finds them and makes them happen often enough to look impressive and win games. I don't know how one measures this attribute, but if true, it means that the coaches have failed to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the quarterback (as we've seen them do with other players) and to make the most of the players we've got rather than trying to push players into their system.

This is one of the biggest concerns I have about this coaching staff (though I'm still in the "give them a little more time" camp), is that they A. don't seem to trust the players, and B. aren't flexible enough to leverage the actual strengths of the team. I don't think BYU is ever going to command the recruits necessary to be competitive with the big boys, so if there's one thing BYU HAS to be good at, it is maximizing the talent that we do have.

Hopefully seeing Tanner shine when allowed to do his thing will be a positive lesson for the coaches moving forward.

SenorCougar
Sophomore

Post by SenorCougar »

Sammich wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:42 pm I thought Marc Lyons made an interesting point yesterday, that Tanner is a 'big play guy' and not a 'consistency guy,' meaning that he's not accurate enough to pull off the small-gain, march-down-the-field plays the coaches have been calling, but when put into situations where he's told to pull out big plays, he finds them and makes them happen often enough to look impressive and win games. I don't know how one measures this attribute, but if true, it means that the coaches have failed to assess the strengths and weaknesses of the quarterback (as we've seen them do with other players) and to make the most of the players we've got rather than trying to push players into their system.

This is one of the biggest concerns I have about this coaching staff (though I'm still in the "give them a little more time" camp), is that they A. don't seem to trust the players, and B. aren't flexible enough to leverage the actual strengths of the team. I don't think BYU is ever going to command the recruits necessary to be competitive with the big boys, so if there's one thing BYU HAS to be good at, it is maximizing the talent that we do have.

Hopefully seeing Tanner shine when allowed to do his thing will be a positive lesson for the coaches moving forward.
How does this offense work?

1st down = 50 yard pass attempt
2nd down = run
3rd down = 40 yard pass attempt

And so on throughout the game?

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

BOID wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:05 am
Cougs_Rule wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 9:47 pm
frdbtr wrote: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:49 pm The only answer is Tanner M, for both. If Tanner had been coached correctly, he would be breaking BYU passing records all over the place.
Global warming is the coaches fault too.

I get coaching needs a lot of help if not changes.

But, Your one hit wonder Schtick is getting old.

I'm sure his depression, anxiety, medication effects, and failed engagement are the coaches fault too.
There is some truth to this. The players own some of the responsibility. Coaching is only part of the equation. The whole program must come together. Some of the players have already said as much.

As an aside, global warming is not anthropogenic, and not driven by the small atmospheric CO2 changes of the past 60 years, and not accelerating over the past two centuries, and therefore, is no one's fault. But your reference to it is pithy, and I appreciate the irony.
Players play the way they are coached. We learned that from a better coach than we have currently.

hawkwing
TV Analyst

Post by hawkwing »

Elite 11 co-mvp.

TulaneVandyRiceCoug
Junior

Post by TulaneVandyRiceCoug »

Mars wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 12:38 am OH SURE GUYS WHATS NEXT BLAMING POOR RECEIVER PLAY ON BEN CAHOON SHEESH Y'ALL CRAZY
Wait, so are we saying that coaching matters to player performance? BALDERDASH.

(Tic)

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

Cougs_Rule wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 5:25 pm Three reasons that contributed to a lot of Tanners success two years ago:
6'4", 6'5", 6'6" experienced dudes. Just chuck it and forget it.
Taysom's passing stats weren't worse last year than Any year before. We know he was never an elite passer.
Why could Tanner not overtake Taysom when there was at least a stated open comp when Ty arrived?
I think Taysom would have had a monster year if he was healthy in 2015.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

hawkwing wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2017 8:51 pm Elite 11 co-mvp.
Held the accuracy award through the entire camp.