Fire everyone involved in BYU football this year.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Fire everyone involved in BYU football this year.

Post by Ddawg »

byufan4ever wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:53 pm I think the coaches definitely need to go. But who do we realistically bring in? The pool for temple recommend holders that can be a HC is extremely small. And who wants to come be an under-paid assistant?
There ya go. BYU is a unique place with difficult recruiting restrictions and low wages - compared to the Div. 1 world of competitive teams. Take a look at TCU. A team BYU use to expect to beat, consistently. Seen what TCU Gary Patterson makes with bonuses? Try $5.1 million. Think BYU is competitive with TCU? No way. In hindsight, the morons that ran Bronco Mendenhall out of town should be hung.
Last edited by Ddawg on Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pikoi
BLUEshirt

Post by pikoi »

hawkwing wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:07 am
pikoi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:52 am If you had seen the way the team reacted to Saturday's loss you would want EVERYONE gone. I promise. I care about the success of several of these coaches on a personal level, but the postgame attitude made it clear- this is NOT working and things are very unlikely to change.
What was the reaction?
Joking around without a care in the world. Not quite the same as if they had won a game, more like they had just put up a great fight against Alabama and came up short.

I think this staff gets one more year to get things on track. And I hope it works out. Hiring at BYU- for any position- is extremely difficult.

snoscythe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by snoscythe »

pikoi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 2:52 pm
pikoi wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:52 am If you had seen the way the team reacted to Saturday's loss you would want EVERYONE gone. I promise. I care about the success of several of these coaches on a personal level, but the postgame attitude made it clear- this is NOT working and things are very unlikely to change.
What was the reaction?
Joking around without a care in the world. Not quite the same as if they had won a game, more like they had just put up a great fight against Alabama and came up short.

I think this staff gets one more year to get things on track. And I hope it works out. Hiring at BYU- for any position- is extremely difficult.
Well, at least Kalani is making sure that the team doesn't treat the Hawai'i game like a bowl or reward game:
but:

CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Give the reins to Steve Kaufusi. Or Nick Howell. Neither will be a world-beater, but both are Mendenhall trained. Either would bring the team from disgrace to coveted mediocrity. They could bring some discipline and, hopefully, some objectivity. It's demoralizing to see the HC refuse to acknowledge the problems with the D or the link between the injuries and the conditioning regime.
Sitake will be willing to fire Detmer, but expect Sitake to resign if Holmoe tries to force Sitake to fire the DC or S&C coach. It's OK to become friends with the people you hire, but you don't hire your friends. Makes it too hard to fire them.
I feel badly for all of these guys. Of course they want to win. They just honestly have no idea how to do it, and there are two many red herring scapegoats to not look at the real problems of a lack of coaching acumen and experience.

Imua, sorry to hear about your boy. That's so frustrating.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Ddawg wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:27 pm All the folks that are calling for the heads of BYU's coaching staff should take a step back. A lot of this crewe were also calling for Bronco's and Anae's heads too. Look how Bronco's Virginia team performed this last week against #3 Miami. Over 430 yards of offense, and they were leading #3 Miami into the 3rd Qtr. I remember posters on this board skewering Ana for being boring, predictable, and uncreative with his offense. Turned out they forgot 1 word to describe Anae - effective. It's not always greener on the other side.
I was one of the fans who thought Bronco should get to call his own shots at BYU. He earned it. He should still be here. He would have eventually figured out why the utes were in BYU's head and gotten that turned around. I knew that if he left BYU would have a hard time replacing him and I also was against the Sitake hire from even before he was hired. I had hoped he would be a good coach because I love BYU football but guys like Lavell and Bronco who can win under the restrictions BYU has are very few and far between.

BroncoBot
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by BroncoBot »

KingCoug wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:07 pm
BroncoBot wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 8:11 pm
Cougs_Rule wrote: Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:39 am I think TH should be in jeopardy more for his murderers row scheduling than for his belief that Kalani could get it done.
I also think that Bronco looked ahead and saw schedules that far exceeded his mantra of "Heading into the wind". It was more like heading into the maelstrom and hurricane of 2016,17, and 18.
His relationship with boosters was always suspect. He didnt need the fans totally turning on him as well and so he, unlike LaVel, cashed in to take his disciplined approach where it would be appreciated again.
We, all--admin, fans, donors, all took him for granted. And now we have more of a mess than if he was still here, but he would have been run out of town just like Kalani will be next year. Impossible schedule!!!! Cant stress that enough. And BYU is freakin stuck. Jammed, under contract. Its absolutely the Perfect time for P5 schools to play BYU, the busted, demoralized, depleted by injury and bailed recruits, EASY WIN! No way they let BYU out of a few contracts unless its a trip to Provo and some cash. PERFECT STORM. Aint gonna get batter next year.
Schedule shmedule.
BYU should have had 8-10 wins this year. And if BYU wins 8-10 kalani's seat isn't on fire right now. This year was simply not putting the time in to be competitive OR it was a case of coaches being WAY over their heads.
First, I suspect Bronco was simply ready to move on from BYU and Holmoe's ambitious scheduling helped him decide that. I said "I suspect" because I obviously don't know. And, frankly, I don't think those who've been claiming that he was run off by Holmoe, the boosters, or whoever know either. But as I've said before, even if Kalani doesn't work out, it doesn't mean I want Bronco back.

Second, while BYU definitely should have had more wins this year (underperforming to the point nobody thought possible), there may be something to the idea of Holmoe overscheduling. At least as long as BYU football is operating on an insufficient budget.
I'd give my left arm to get bronco back at this point. He could make every BYU fan in the world mad with his flippant comments and I wouldn't care. Sit down, shut up and enjoy the cornucopia of wins, bowl games and lack of HC violation news. The guy was a workhorse (no pun intended) and requires discipline and assignment football which are obviously lacking this year.

Anyone who made Bronco's decision easier to leave, as KingCoug describes it, should have their job in jeopardy after this year's debacle including Tom Holmoe who I think has done a fantastic job otherwise. And the Bunch of bawlbaby fans who felt that "anyone" would be better are making bronco's comments regarding fans look like prophecy. Y'all stupid. We could lose to USU AMD Utah for the next decade at this rate. I never considered BYU to be anyone's little brother before this year. Now, BYU is all of D1 football's b!?€#. If we dont land the #1 bottom ten award this year, I'll be offended.

Woody3715
Recruit
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by Woody3715 »

Cougs_Rule wrote: Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:33 pm Yep. Just as irrational as believing Po fans (Benson: pride from the bottom looking up) can get this staff fired. ...
Football revenue pays for most of the entire athletic dept budget at virtually all schools.

If TH doesn't make any coaching changes by the end of January, Cougar season ticket holders should just not renew their tickets for 2018. Stop the revenue and changes will come. Its happened at many other schools.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

BroncoBot wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:07 pm I'd give my left arm to get bronco back at this point.
Yep. In reality, Bronco would never want to come back. He's achieving success. He's appreciated. And he has escaped the unappreciative Cougar fans who did not value the yeoman's job that he did.
BroncoBot wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:07 pm Anyone who made Bronco's decision easier to leave, as KingCoug describes it, should have their job in jeopardy after this year's debacle including Tom Holmoe ....
Yep.
BroncoBot wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:07 pm .... the Bunch of bawlbaby fans who felt that "anyone" would be better are making bronco's comments regarding fans look like prophecy. Y'all stupid.
Yep. Yep. Yep.
BroncoBot wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:07 pm We could lose to USU AMD Utah for the next decade at this rate. I never considered BYU to be anyone's little brother before this year. Now, BYU is all of D1 football's b!?€#.
Yep. Big time - Yesssir.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

What was the reaction?

Another example of no accountability. A winning staff wouldn't let that fly.

ABYUFAN
Pro

Post by ABYUFAN »

frdbtr wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:38 am
What was the reaction?

Another example of no accountability. A winning staff wouldn't let that fly.
I don't get this. This staff is .500; which is a better record than Bronco has in Virginia. Obviously it is bad that this was a winning program and wasn't the train wreck that Virginia was when Bronco took over, but these guys have had a very bad time with injuries and have made stupid decisions. Injuries may be a fluke, and stupid decisions can be learned from. I think that if you cut people loose when they are learning you will have a tough time getting anyone to come here and stay.