Another decommit, Jaren Mitchell, WR

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
User avatar
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Posts: 12159
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:35 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Eagle Mountain, UT
Contact:

Another decommit, Jaren Mitchell, WR

Post by hawkwing » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:40 pm


User avatar
Ddawg
All Star
Posts: 4557
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:24 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Another decommit, Jaren Mitchell, WR

Post by Ddawg » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:30 am

A loss is a loss. But, his other choices are Utah St, Colorado St, Liberty U, Stephen F. Austin, and Central Arkansas. Unless other schools join the hunt. His best options are the Y, Utah St, or Co St.

User avatar
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Posts: 12760
Joined: Tue Aug 21, 2007 9:11 am
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Another decommit, Jaren Mitchell, WR

Post by SpiffCoug » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:51 am

Wow. That Sitake is just a master recruiter!
BYU PER W/L Since 1988: 319-53 (.858 )
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Image

User avatar
Ddawg
All Star
Posts: 4557
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 8:24 pm
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Another decommit, Jaren Mitchell, WR

Post by Ddawg » Sun Dec 24, 2017 4:12 pm

SpiffCoug wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:51 am
Wow. That Sitake is just a master recruiter!
You have to be patient. He hasn't got his mojo going yet. Next year. Then it's time to reassess. Mojo is slow.

User avatar
Fido
Heisman Winner
Posts: 2065
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:28 am
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Another decommit, Jaren Mitchell, WR

Post by Fido » Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:49 pm

Speculation on the interwebs is that it may be a pulled offer. Several of the recent decommits are undersized players out of Texas recruited by Detmer (RB Joshua Oglesby, 5' 7" 180 and WR Jaren Mitchell, 5' 10" 175). Oglesby was 2*, Mitchell 3*. Dinkelmann isn't undersized and is 3*--but they also have a bunch of QBs on scholarship for the foreseeable future--especially after adding Stacy Conner and Zach Wilson who are both early enrollees who are not planning on a mission.
Could it be that the new coaching staff is looking at these guys and trying to spend the scholarships on the players that fit what they are looking for most and fit the team needs for the offense they want to run? If so, work it out now before you get them in your program for 4 years. People make it sound like these are huge losses because the coaching staff are idiots. Sounds more to me like they are managing their recruiting class. They had more guys on the list than they had room for--and actually still do.
See Loyal Cougars' recriuting spreadsheet.

User avatar
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5638
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 12:23 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Another decommit, Jaren Mitchell, WR

Post by Gunk » Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:20 pm

We need WRs.

I have no idea how good the guy is, but if he's fast and has half way descent hands, he's better than anyone we currently have on the roster.
Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5616
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Another decommit, Jaren Mitchell, WR

Post by frdbtr » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:55 am

Fido wrote:
Sun Dec 24, 2017 7:49 pm
Speculation on the interwebs is that it may be a pulled offer. Several of the recent decommits are undersized players out of Texas recruited by Detmer (RB Joshua Oglesby, 5' 7" 180 and WR Jaren Mitchell, 5' 10" 175). Oglesby was 2*, Mitchell 3*. Dinkelmann isn't undersized and is 3*--but they also have a bunch of QBs on scholarship for the foreseeable future--especially after adding Stacy Conner and Zach Wilson who are both early enrollees who are not planning on a mission.
Could it be that the new coaching staff is looking at these guys and trying to spend the scholarships on the players that fit what they are looking for most and fit the team needs for the offense they want to run? If so, work it out now before you get them in your program for 4 years. People make it sound like these are huge losses because the coaching staff are idiots. Sounds more to me like they are managing their recruiting class. They had more guys on the list than they had room for--and actually still do.
See Loyal Cougars' recriuting spreadsheet.
I will believe this as soon as I start seeing these decommits replaced with higher quality recruits. Until then, they are big losses because of incompetent coaching. As far as the "master recruiter" thing. That has been debunked as a myth. Kalani hasn't recruited any better than Bronco. I know the comment was TIC though.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Posts: 5616
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:02 pm
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Another decommit, Jaren Mitchell, WR

Post by frdbtr » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:57 am

Wasn't Brandon Ogletree and undersized player from Texas? He turned out Ok I though.

User avatar
Fido
Heisman Winner
Posts: 2065
Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:28 am
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Another decommit, Jaren Mitchell, WR

Post by Fido » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:17 pm

frdbtr wrote:
Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:57 am
Wasn't Brandon Ogletree and undersized player from Texas? He turned out Ok I though.
Well, you are right. Maybe we should be going with the Texas all-under 6' squad. Nothing screams success like "undersized".

User avatar
hawkwing
TV Analyst
Posts: 12159
Joined: Tue Jul 24, 2007 11:35 am
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner
Location: Eagle Mountain, UT
Contact:

Re: Another decommit, Jaren Mitchell, WR

Post by hawkwing » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:46 pm

I don't think the fact that Kalani and crew are losing so many undersized decommits is proof that his reputation as a master recruiter is overrated, it's the fact that he and staff originally identified, recruited, and committed these kids. Then they can't even keep them.

It would be one thing if the 2 star kids were being replaced by 4 star kids, but I'm not seeing that happen and it also says something about a staff that gets commits from 2 star kids and because they didn't recruit the 4 star kids to begin with.

Just seems like the 3 recruiting classes Kalani has had so far have been not very good.

Post Reply