Sitake has no clue what he is doing.

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Sitake has no clue what he is doing.

Post by CrimsonCoug »

If the Elder Oaks interview is accurate, that carries a lot of wait. Holmoe's not going to waste an apostle's time. So unless Elder Oaks (or someone else on the BOT) wanted Coach Ken to be interviewed (and that may be; they all would have known him given his high profile with Meet the Mormons), I think he had to have been seriously considered but it was determined to not be a good fit. Whether or not Niumatalolo felt that way is a different story.

My biggest beef with Holmoe is that he let the boosters get to him and Bronco to the point where Mendenhall no longer wanted to be at BYU. Without a clear heir apparent or a large potential pool, I think Holmoe needed to do a better job of hanging on to the guy who had restored honor and prestige to the program.

That said, Bronco is clearly better as a "turnaround CEO" than a Top 10 CEO.

Back to the point of the thread, I guess I get now why Hadley said over and over and over in his interview that coaching is all about relationships. He was referring to relationships with players, but it's pretty clear that who you know is much more important than what you know with this staff. And Hadley said he was very close with Gilford and had just spent the previous 3 years coaching with Fesi. I mean, even if the program was such a dumpster fire that nobody in the national pool would want to coach there unless they felt some loyalty to the school, I've got to think that there have been a bunch of other alumni now in coaching that could have applied. To not interview anyone--even the guy they hired--would break so many HR rules at any respectable institution.
But at least Hadley played and GA'd under Mendenhall.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

Ken N was such a serious candidate that BYU didn't even pick him up from the airport.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

SpiffCoug wrote: Tue Feb 06, 2018 9:45 pm Ken N was such a serious candidate that BYU didn't even pick him up from the airport.
OOOF!!!!!!!

frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

He wasn't a serious candidate because he was informed that he would not be allowed to run his offense if he came. No one would do that to a coaching candidate but BYU. If they really wanted him, they would have hired him and let him do his thing that has made him successful at Navy. I am not a huge fan of the triple option but I am a fan of winning, we should have never even considered the guy if we didn't want him to bring his offense.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I would have listen to his argument of why he thought the Triple option would work at the Y. would it have made us more marketable to a P5? I suspect it would not.