Questons from a Utah fan

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
ttribe
Recruit
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Questons from a Utah fan

Post by ttribe »

Welcome to the PAC U-fans. It should be an interesting time of transition.

craigoscarson
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by craigoscarson »

Winning and tradition is ultimately more important than conference affiliation. Utah never saw a huge bounce in recruiting after their BCS winning seasons, what makes anyone think that they're poised to do anything miraculous? They just dont' have a large fanbase or following. They're the red headed stepchild invited to get the Pac 10 to 12 and not threaten the best teams in that conference. The fact that they were last choice by the Pac 10 goes to show that.

BYU wasn't considered because of religious bigotry, anything else is window dressing. There's nothing that Utah offers that BYU couldn't, but a medical school.

BYU will be fine and eventually will be a target of the Big 12 once they realize that a championship game will grease their pockets. (Dan Beebe simply couldn't promise the type of $$ he promised for 2 more teams until the Big 12 gets a new TV deal. As soon as they do BYU will be in the Big12..) BYUs recruiting classes the last 5 years will pay huge dividends during this transition.

Utah has not recruited terribly well since Urban Meyer left and they dont have the depth to compete week after week in the Pac -10. I wouldn't be surprised to see them not break .500 in the Pac 10 for half a decade. There will be kids, and juco players that will go to the U to play in the Pac -10, but I don't think it'll be in time to save them from several sub .500 seasons. To me, Utah is Kansas State.. an also ran that competes from time to time but never again feels like a top dog. (even worse in hoops, where you dont' need the BCS to make the dance, where BYU is consistently improving and Utah is going to fall on harder times)

BCS affiliation helps, but it's not as big a deal as people make it out to be.. ask Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Washington State, Washington, Colorado, etc.

What woud have helped BYU with BCS afiliation is that they'd likely haul in 2-3 of the 4-5 star LDS recruits that they miss on; however, those recruits almost never chose the U or even consider them. I dont' see that changing much. If they chose not to go to BYU, they chose to go to USC, Oregon, etc.

U fans should rightfully celebrate. It's an upgrade for them no doubt, but I don't think they'll regularly compete for anything but .500 and bowl games every other year; which would not be any different than the Ute teams of the 80's , 90's and what would have been the next decade with BYU, BSU and TCU having better talent.

They still have a small stadium, subpar facilities, fair weather fans that don't show up for most games, and still rely on former BYU players to coach their teams... yet they can still recruit players that can't live the honor code at BYU, so maybe there's a chance....

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Ddawg »

craigoscarson wrote:Winning and tradition is ultimately more important than conference affiliation.
Yep.
craigocarson wrote: They still have a small stadium, subpar facilities, fair weather fans that don't show up for most games, and still rely on former BYU players to coach their teams... yet they can still recruit players that can't live the honor code at BYU, so maybe there's a chance....
Ouch!!!! Ha-ha-ha!! Bingo!!

The Cougs will be fine w/ out the Yewts. Athletes choose BYU because of what they offer that no other school offers; environment, coaching staff, facilities, quality team, quality team-mates, outstanding winning tradition, quality "out of conference" teams & improving recruit athletes.

I believe the Yewts will an average to above average PAC team. Playing a PAC team 1 time - where you really get up & spend the summer preparing is one thing. To play a PAC schedule week after week - w/ injuries - minimal prep time - it will be an eye opener for the jubilant Yewts. Look @ how the Az. schools have fared. Good schools, good programs, average within the PAC. Good luck - I will not be cheering for you or supporting you in any way. I have grown weary of the nasty Yewt fans I have dealt w/ over the past number of years. Go be nasty & disrespectful in the PAC & see what happens. LOL!!!!

MTM
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by MTM »

33311710 wrote:and that without religious bigotry amongst your tree-hugging, gay-marrying, baby-killing, Godless brethren, you would NEVER have been chosen.
Oh, the irony.
Last edited by MTM on Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cougy_Monster
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Cougy_Monster »

I can't believe how many people are fooled into believing that bcs conferences are better than the mwc. The yewts will roll through the PAC. In fact the yewts are more likely to win the PAC than the mwc (had they stayed) over the next 5 years.

Please somebody name one team from the PAC that would finish ahead of all of the top mwc teams bsu, tcu, byu and yewtah if they played a full mwc schedule this year. The only possibility would be USC but now they're screwed.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

CAFB_04-12
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CAFB_04-12 »

Utah's facilities are in for a massive overhaul. Five years from now, with the millions that will be pouring into the University, we will not be talking about sub-par facilities.

The only difference I see in the academic programs at Utah is the medical hospital and medical research units, which are top notch. I don't know a lot about U of U advanced programs, but after medicine I'm not sure what they have that BYU doesn't.

Utah has made monumental strides in improving their football team in the past decade. It's hard to argue against two BCS wins, one against one of the strongest Alabama teams of the decade. I still remember watching that game and being embarrassed for 'Bama. I have no doubt that Utah will have success against Az St, Az, Oregon St, WSU, Wa, Stanford, and will compete well but lose games against Oregon, UCLA, USC, and Cal. I see them consistently in the top 4 or 5 in the PAC-10, which ironically probably gets you into the Las Vegas bowl.

In-state recruits interested in the big time will flock to Utah. Except for the die-hard, dyed in the wool, true blue kids that always wanted to play in blue and white. But we win those guys almost without exception anyways. I think it's harder to steal Harvey Unga, for example, from Utah if Utah is playing in the PAC-10 on Fox Sports, in cool venues, and in front of millions of TVs every week. For the NFL bound recruits, they will pick Utah and the exposure.

The bad taste I have is from Utah friends who immediately felt superior to the MWC after this. Lots of them likened this to the guy who hooks up with the hot girl that turned you down for the prom. I liken it to the business man who leaves his nice wife and kids for the rich hot secretary.

I look forward to playing Utah this year. Recent matchups have demonstrated that they are pretty even at the end of the day.

I also welcome BSU to the MWC.

I also say good riddance to Utah.

ttribe
Recruit
Fan Level: 2nd Favorite team

Post by ttribe »

Cougy_Monster wrote:I can't believe how many people are fooled into believing that bcs conferences are better than the mwc. The yewts will roll through the PAC. In fact the yewts are more likely to win the PAC than the mwc (had they stayed) over the next 5 years.

Please somebody name one team from the PAC that would finish ahead of all of the top mwc teams bsu, tcu, byu and yewtah if they played a full mwc schedule this year. The only possibility would be USC but now they're screwed.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
And how is it, exactly, that you reached this conclusion?

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

I think USC is still going to be good in 2010, and I think UW is on their way back, thanks to Sark. They really are going to be good, just like us, come 2012. Stanford has really improved under Harbaugh, and i he stays, they will continue to be good. He can recruit and is a great coach. Ask me about the time he used my dad's bathroom for a great story--btw.

Ddawg
All Star

Post by Ddawg »

Lawboy wrote:I think USC is still going to be good in 2010, and I think UW is on their way back, thanks to Sark. They really are going to be good, just like us, come 2012. Stanford has really improved under Harbaugh, and i he stays, they will continue to be good. He can recruit and is a great coach. Ask me about the time he used my dad's bathroom for a great story--btw.
That's a story I'd like to hear!!!!! Share!!! Ha-ha!!
:lol:

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

OK, but you may not thank me after...
My dad lives down in Scottsdale. His backyard is the course where they have the Phoenix Open. In fact, the first green is his backyard. Been down to that tourney many times. Anyway, back in 1994, the year the Cowboys played the Steelers in the Super Bowl in Phoenix,and the same year Harbaugh almost led the Colts to the SB in a miraculous fashion, the game day was same as the Sunday round of the Open. Many NFL players were out walking the course. Anyway, my dad is on his back porch watching players go by, and Jim Harbaugh walks up to his wall(about 4-5 feet high) and asks if he can use my dad's toilet. My dad recognized him so said sure. Anyway, Jim must have really had to go because the big boy didn't exactly check to see what went down. And needless to say, it didn't, and he clogged the toilet. And bailed without a word. And that my friends, is Big 10-PAC-10 class!