Questons from a Utah fan

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
northerncougar
Junior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Questons from a Utah fan

Post by northerncougar »

ttribe wrote:
Mars wrote:
ttribe wrote: I'm not big on definitive predictions on sports outcomes, but here's one I feel very confident in - Utah will not be in the Rose Bowl within 3 years. That prediction is based on watching both the PAC and the MWC for several years now.
What makes you say that? Both Boise State and TCU would have easily won the PAC-0 last year. Utah was much better in '08 and '04 than they were in '09. And if they end up in a division with USC, UCLA, Arizona, Arizona State, and Colorado, that's 4 garbage schools and one great school that's currently a sinking ship. So where does the false confidence come from?
Given your proclivity for hyperbolic characterizations of other programs ("garbage schools"), it seems pointless to argue the point that I believe (based on observation) that enduring an entire PAC-10 season to be more difficult than the typical MWC season. I guess we'll just have to see, now won't we?
You are spot on. Utah hasn't been particularly stellar on the road. Becoming part of the Pac10 doesn't magically change that.

blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

northerncougar wrote: You are spot on. Utah hasn't been particularly stellar on the road. Becoming part of the Pac10 doesn't magically change that.
WHAT? I think you are mistaken here because once Utah officially starts play in the pac whatever they get access to the "magic" potion. Just like those who search for the "fountain of youth", this magic potion comes from the "fountain of snobbery because we are a BSC conference", so all of the frUtes road woes will become a thing of the past.

CannonCougar85
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CannonCougar85 »

blue42 wrote:
northerncougar wrote: You are spot on. Utah hasn't been particularly stellar on the road. Becoming part of the Pac10 doesn't magically change that.
WHAT? I think you are mistaken here because once Utah officially starts play in the pac whatever they get access to the "magic" potion. Just like those who search for the "fountain of youth", this magic potion comes from the "fountain of snobbery because we are a BSC conference", so all of the frUtes road woes will become a thing of the past.
I heard that the pUkes won't actually have to play a single game in the PAC. They will just be in the National Championship game every single year...at least that is the feeling I get when speaking to pUke fans.

"We have a tradition unlike any other. Those that have gone before us are the giants upon whose shoulders we now stand."
-Bronco Mendenhall
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

northerncougar wrote: Utah hasn't been particularly stellar on the road. Becoming part of the Pac10 doesn't magically change that.
I read that Utah has gone 1-6 @ PAC-10 schools since 2000. Who are those six losses to? Oregon, Oregon State, and... Who was that one win against?

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
MTM
Sophomore
Fan Level: BYU is my rival

Post by MTM »

Mars wrote:
northerncougar wrote: Utah hasn't been particularly stellar on the road. Becoming part of the Pac10 doesn't magically change that.
I read that Utah has gone 1-6 @ PAC-10 schools since 2000. Who are those six losses to? Oregon, Oregon State, and... Who was that one win against?
This is a pretty cool site that you can look up any football results since 1945 although it doesn't specify home/away games

http://michigan-football.com/ncaa/ncaa_1a.htm

northerncougar
Junior

Post by northerncougar »

Mars wrote:
Utah is 5-6 against PAC10 teams since 2000:
1-5 on the Road, 4-1 at home. If you count the two bowl games they are 7-5, but I am only looking at regular season games.

Home
AZ 17-3 L

Cal 31-24 W
OR 17-13 W

AZ 27-24 W

OR St. 31-28 W

Road
Cal 24-21 L

OR 24-10 L

AZ 23-17 L

AZ 23-6 W

OR St 24-7 L

OR 31-24 L

There is only one "dominating" win, 2004. That is Utah's best team by a huge margin.

StatsCougar
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by StatsCougar »

northerncougar wrote:
Mars wrote:
Utah is 5-6 against PAC10 teams since 2000:
1-5 on the Road, 4-1 at home. If you count the two bowl games they are 7-5, but I am only looking at regular season games.

Home
AZ 17-3 L

Cal 31-24 W
OR 17-13 W

AZ 27-24 W

OR St. 31-28 W

Road
Cal 24-21 L

OR 24-10 L

AZ 23-17 L

AZ 23-6 W

OR St 24-7 L

OR 31-24 L

There is only one "dominating" win, 2004. That is Utah's best team by a huge margin.
You're missing Utah victory over UCLA in 2007. If everyone remembers, Utah played UCLA the week after we lost to them. That would also mean that in 2006, Utah played UCLA at the Rose Bowl. IIRC they lost.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

So Utah is 0-4 @ "PAC-12 North" schools since 2000, and 1-2 @ "PAC-12 South" schools. Good thing for them they should end up in a south division, according to CU and prior reports.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars