Day 6 QB Battle

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Mars
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Day 6 QB Battle

Post by Mars »

kitic77 wrote:A 50% increase or decrease either way would be highly unlikely for either QB.
Not if you look at Nelson's number vs. the ones on defense. It seems like it's almost an automatic 3-and-out.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

kitic77 wrote:I also think that those who went to practice thinking Riley was a poor thrower, probably came away thinking he was better than they thought he would be. They may also have a little more confidence in his abilities to run the offense.
Nelson has more zip on the cross routes than I expected. That is very nice to see. His throws weren't on the money, but were catchable. That being said, I didn't see a throw longer than 15-20 yards, and I could step in right now and do the same thing, literally. He looked better at checking down receivers, but also did tuck and run a few times when under the gun. And the only time I saw him against the one's (w the ones), it was a 3 and out.

As for Heaps in the second session, he just dominated. I mean, he had a beautiful 40+ yard touchdown into the corner of the endzone on the farside. The touch and hang on that were amazing. Not sure who caught it. He had another 40 yard chuck incomplete that they called defensive PI on. That was on a first down throw. I love seeing that! Get in on first down and just chuck it down the field once in a while. Keeps the D super honest, and opens up all sorts of things. Every cross route was perfect, in stride, where it needed to be. Just on the money. He has a better arm than Hall, probably as good as Beck, and is just as accurate as Hall was. As far as throwing, he could hit the helmet off the pedestal, for sure if ESPN ever asked.

I was very impressed with Heaps, and wasn't disappointed in Riley. I wish they would call more downfield throws for Riley so we can get a direct comparison, but oh well. Riley can move the ball with his legs, but I am waiting til the defense can "fight back" until I evaluate his ability to run and move the ball effectively like that. I mean, it isn't hard to punch someone that has their hands tied behind their backs. And get tagged on a play, that changes things sometimes.

Heaps was fantastic, and Nelson was good. I am 50/50 sold on Nelson, but not all the way, needs to do better, maybe he can. Especially against the 1v3 and 2v3 situations.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Riley didn't have any three-and-outs today. And you must not have been watching the warmups, drills or even his throw to OC on the near sideline, he was throwing long as often as anyone in the drill and the ball to OC was from the far hash to the sideline and was easily 30 yards in the air.

And there is no way Heaps' is as strong as BEcks.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Yeah, you're right, EVERY throw was 35 yards in the air, on the money and every throw he did resulted in 2 touchdowns, not one. Come on. I was paying attention the whole time (I think, I had my two year old). We are talking about the 2nd session, right? He didn't throw anything deep on the warmups. (I was 10 mins late, so he probably threw like 10 bombs for 10 TD's or was it 11?) Come on man, I was giving him some props, and you jump all over me like always. Marry the guy, goodness sakes.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Didn't say every throw was on the money. Just saying you either weren't watching when he did throw long or chose not to remember them. The throw to OC was in the 2nd session. And he didn't have any 3-and-outs today.

(8.4x
..................ATT
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

Mars wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:
Mars wrote:
kitic77 wrote: Fall Camp Stats:
Heaps: 39-61-2-454, 7 TDs, 157.76 rating, 63.9% complete. 9 TD drives, 1 FG drive.
Nelson: 30-49-0-373, 8 TDs, 179.04 rating, 61.2% complete. 9 TD drives, 4 FD drives.
Heaps: 12 series against the 1st-team D, 1 against the 3rd-team.
Nelson: 5 series against the 1st-team D, 6 against the 3rd team.
:bug:

Heaps also led the team to 2 rushing TDs and 2 missed field goal attempts.
Nelson has thrown 2 INTs in fall camp, though reporting 0 officially in 11x11s is technically correct as well.
Nelson also has 3 fumbles and 8 sacks to Heaps' 0 fumbles and 3 sacks.
Good research mars. now run the numbers for which offense they ran with... so how many reps for heaps with the offenseive ones and how many for nelson? anybody want to look into it. :D
Yeah, I haven't paid much attention that that at all. Heaps seems to go O3s vs. D1s more, and Nelson seems to go O1 vs. D3s more, but I haven't logged the numbers.

I do wonder if Heaps would have 50% more yards if he had ran against the same units Nelson had, and if Nelson would have 50% less yards if he had ran against the same units Heaps had. Those notes make it seem like Bronco, Doman, and Anae are extremely interested in keeping the QB competition looking close for as long as possible...
I read a post on one of the other boards that suggested this same thing. they were trying to not tip information to wa. they want wa to prepare for nelson when they really plan on starting heaps. i am not sure i would go that far, but if this pattern continues it makes me wonder if the coaches really have made their decision and are simply not tipping their hat to uw before they need to. it only makes sense though if the pattern continues.

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

kitic77 wrote:I also think that those who went to practice thinking Riley was a poor thrower, probably came away thinking he was better than they thought he would be. They may also have a little more confidence in his abilities to run the offense.
that is the impression that i got from most of the reports of people attending. most of those who weren't big on riely came away feeling better about him. also a common theme was that heaps tended to take risky throws and try and force it too much. hmmmmm... who does that remind me of.

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

jonnylingo wrote: a common theme was that heaps tended to take risky throws and try and force it too much. hmmmmm... who does that remind me of.
Ty Detmer? :D

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
QuarterbackU
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by QuarterbackU »

Ya know Beck had the strongest Arm I've probably ever seen in college. I would compare his velocity in college to Brett Farve. When Beck was confident and knew the offense, I almost felt he threw too hard and sometimes his balls to curtis and manase and FUI were almost uncatchable in the flats. Heaps takes a little steam off and throws a very catchable ball. Riley throws on time every time but seems to crank a few quackers out there. There's nothing wrong with a quacker on short throws but on a deep route or an 18-22 yard out the quacker hangs in the air too long and gets batted or INT'd. Also, in regards to Riley not doing as well with his legs against the 1st team, no way. Riley could dominate any defense with his legs, that being said BYU has never been able to defend a running QB. I mean Brian Johnson has made us look silly at the end of a game, Christian Ponder destroyed us last year, Jake Locker destroyed us two years ago, that Ballard kid who was the back up at TCU beat us 51-50 almost by himself that game, Brett Ratliff got key first downs with his legs to beat us in his first time off the bench. It's upsetting.

I'd love to see Heaps start with Riley getting 3 guaranteed series per game and a blue zone package, like Asiata at the U.

Please forgive me for mulitple UofU references in this post.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

One thing Heaps does VERY well is throw the ball with touch. It's one reason, I think he'll go from accurate to extremely accurate before he leaves BYU.

(8.4x
..................ATT