Independance Day: Is it on the way? Check out the link

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
blue42
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Independance Day: Is it on the way? Check out the link

Post by blue42 »

jonnylingo wrote: The article is basically stating that the whole announcement was a fraud. The point of it is that it means nothing even though we all thought it meant something.
I must be a little slow but I read the article and didn't see where it is saying the announcement was a fraud. Would you show me where it says it is a fraud.

redneckjedi
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by redneckjedi »

blue42 wrote:
jonnylingo wrote: The article is basically stating that the whole announcement was a fraud. The point of it is that it means nothing even though we all thought it meant something.
I must be a little slow but I read the article and didn't see where it is saying the announcement was a fraud. Would you show me where it says it is a fraud.
http://www.deseretnews.com/blog/60/1000 ... lease.html

This is the latest. Basically, the ad agency issued a press release that was incorrect without running it by BYU. Nobody at BYU has heard of "BYU Athletics Cable Television." This was just a re-up of their normal marketing deals that got communicated very badly.

...or that's what they want us to think, anyway. ;)

If the yewts take the field and there are no BYU fans to pour beer on, will anybody come?
Lawboy
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Lawboy »

If BYU were going indy, I think we would have heard more about future OOC games being scheduled. Seriously, when was the last time we heard news about BYU getting someone on the schedule? Been ages, and if Indy, you need 12 games. Utah and USU take 2, need 10 more. And we can't even get games on the schedule as it is when we just need 4. So, it does make me wonder if something is up and announcements are coming, or if TH is still having issues getting teams to come to our place.

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

Lawboy wrote:If BYU were going indy, I think we would have heard more about future OOC games being scheduled. Seriously, when was the last time we heard news about BYU getting someone on the schedule? Been ages, and if Indy, you need 12 games. Utah and USU take 2, need 10 more. And we can't even get games on the schedule as it is when we just need 4. So, it does make me wonder if something is up and announcements are coming, or if TH is still having issues getting teams to come to our place.
Hate to break it to all the "Independent Camp" people ( ;) ), but if BYU goes independent, expect our schedule to largely be a drink from the same trough we've been drinking out of for the past 30 years. We'll still be playing AFA, Wyoming, UNLV, SDSU, UNM etc. etc. Maybe not every year, but geography is still going to be a big time factor in scheduling.

blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

snoscythe wrote:Hate to break it to all the "Independent Camp" people ( ;) ), but if BYU goes independent, expect our schedule to largely be a drink from the same trough we've been drinking out of for the past 30 years. We'll still be playing AFA, Wyoming, UNLV, SDSU, UNM etc. etc. Maybe not every year, but geography is still going to be a big time factor in scheduling.
I don't believe this for a minute because as soon as we go indy we will be able to play USC, ND, THE Ohio St, Alabama, Florida etc every year, all because ND is able to get these type of games..... at least that's what a lot of people on this board seem to think. ;)

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

blue42 wrote:
snoscythe wrote:Hate to break it to all the "Independent Camp" people ( ;) ), but if BYU goes independent, expect our schedule to largely be a drink from the same trough we've been drinking out of for the past 30 years. We'll still be playing AFA, Wyoming, UNLV, SDSU, UNM etc. etc. Maybe not every year, but geography is still going to be a big time factor in scheduling.
I don't believe this for a minute because as soon as we go indy we will be able to play USC, ND, THE Ohio St, Alabama, Florida etc every year, all because ND is able to get these type of games..... at least that's what a lot of people on this board seem to think. ;)
and by "a lot" of people you mean "none?" i've not read anything even remotely close to that.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

Italics wrote:
blue42 wrote:
snoscythe wrote: Hate to break it to all the "Independent Camp" people but if BYU goes independent, expect our schedule to largely be a drink from the same trough we've been drinking out of for the past 30 years. We'll still be playing AFA, Wyoming, UNLV, SDSU, UNM etc. etc. Maybe not every year, but geography is still going to be a big time factor in scheduling.
I don't believe this for a minute because as soon as we go indy we will be able to play USC, ND, THE Ohio St, Alabama, Florida etc every year, all because ND is able to get these type of games... at least that's what a lot of people on this board seem to think.
and by "a lot" of people you mean "none?" i've not read anything even remotely close to that.
We all think that: http://www.cougarcorner.com/viewtopic.p ... t+schedule" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Two things:

Rumor out of camp today, as reported on 1320, in the 6pm hour, is that BYU is working with the WAC to schedule all other sports but Football.

Greg wrubell tweeted that he didn't tweet on a certain subject--rather conspicuous. Could be about a QB starter, could be something Greg didn't want in any way shape or form be accused of leaking anything that would tick off BYU.

1320 is suggesting that bc the WAC is contracted w ESPN and that BYU was looking/talking to espn about picking up 4 or 5 football games there would be that connection; and then byu could sell the rest of their games locally or on bcast on byutv and online--much bigger bucks than MWC.

If you ask me, Holmoe's quote weeks ago about something he is really "excited about" (sorry for no citation, on my bberry)----this arrangement could actually be pretty exciting.

Some compelling Stuff to consider.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Italics
Heisman Winner

Post by Italics »

Mars wrote:
Italics wrote:
blue42 wrote:
snoscythe wrote: Hate to break it to all the "Independent Camp" people but if BYU goes independent, expect our schedule to largely be a drink from the same trough we've been drinking out of for the past 30 years. We'll still be playing AFA, Wyoming, UNLV, SDSU, UNM etc. etc. Maybe not every year, but geography is still going to be a big time factor in scheduling.
I don't believe this for a minute because as soon as we go indy we will be able to play USC, ND, THE Ohio St, Alabama, Florida etc every year, all because ND is able to get these type of games... at least that's what a lot of people on this board seem to think.
We all think that:
your thread proves my point. Byu could probably schedule the higher-tier mwc and wac teams along with other independent's and some big 12 and pac 12 teams. Nobody ever claimed we'd have a full schedule against SEC, Big 12, and big 10 powerhouses... Not even close.

The more I see... the less I believe
The more I hear... the less I care
blue42
Senior

Post by blue42 »

Italics wrote:
blue42 wrote:
Please, you have to admit that a lot of people on this board think that if BYU goes independent that their schedule would get a tremendous upgrade from the current schedule. I know nobody has mentioned all of these schools, (btw didn't you notice the ;) that means joking) and the point I was making there was again a lot of people think BYU could upgrade the schedule, but like sno said BYU's schedule would be pretty much the same as it is now meaning it would play the same types of teams without much of an upgrade.