My case against Robert Anae

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: My case against Robert Anae

Post by frdbtr »

Defense lost the game simple as that. They couldn't get Nevada off the field. We would have won the game even with the turnovers if the defense had done its job. we have allowed 30+ points per game in 4 games in a row. That is unacceptable defense and I hope Bronco is in the defensive meetings this week helping Howell get this thing fixed or we will not win another game against a Div 1 opponent this year.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by SpiffCoug »

And when the defense did get a stop on 3rd down they followed it up by giving up the first down on 4th down.

I'm left to conclude that the defense enjoys playing so much that they just want to stay on the field. Their performance or how well the play are irrelevant. They just want to be out there playing.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
frdbtr
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by frdbtr »

SpiffCoug wrote:And when the defense did get a stop on 3rd down they followed it up by giving up the first down on 4th down.

I'm left to conclude that the defense enjoys playing so much that they just want to stay on the field. Their performance or how well the play are irrelevant. They just want to be out there playing.
Yep exactly. They simply did not get stops in the second half. It was disheartening.

a1247
Heisman Winner
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by a1247 »

frdbtr wrote:Defense lost the game simple as that. They couldn't get Nevada off the field. We would have won the game even with the turnovers if the defense had done its job. we have allowed 30+ points per game in 4 games in a row. That is unacceptable defense and I hope Bronco is in the defensive meetings this week helping Howell get this thing fixed or we will not win another game against a Div 1 opponent this year.

This game was not Aneas fault at all. Over 500 yards of offense and 35 points hell what more could anyone ask for. In years past that's a win. Outside of the backwards pass that was fumbled on the 3rd down there really wasn't anything that Anea did that bothered me. This lose and the lose to UCF goes squarely on the defense. If anyone wants to say otherwise it's because they have a personal problem with Anea and even a 700 yard 65 point game won't be good enough.
Last edited by a1247 on Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

SpiffCoug wrote:Sacks came one in the 1st quarter, one in the 2nd and four in the 4th.
That would have been my guess. Down 2 touchdowns. 4th quarter. Clock ticking. They know you have to throw. On that last drive, they knew we had to throw to the near side lie to get out of bounds.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

No one has answered me why Anae went away from Carter yet? I'm wondering if Bib can explain exactly what "adjustments" were made defensively to stop BYU from rolling?

It isn't playing closer man coverage, because they played exactly the same distance away. (I rewatched it)

As has been pointed out by Sno and Spiff, it isn't that they played the run better, because the run was going well in the second half, specifically the 2 times in the half that Carter touched it. Cause you know, the guy averaging 12 yards a carry? We don't want him to get any more carries, do we?

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

BlueIsBetter wrote:No one has answered me why Anae went away from Carter yet? I'm wondering if Bib can explain exactly what "adjustments" were made defensively to stop BYU from rolling?

It isn't playing closer man coverage, because they played exactly the same distance away. (I rewatched it)

As has been pointed out by Sno and Spiff, it isn't that they played the run better, because the run was going well in the second half, specifically the 2 times in the half that Carter touched it. Cause you know, the guy averaging 12 yards a carry? We don't want him to get any more carries, do we?
Right. I'm not ready to chuck ANAE out, but what adjustments? And why away from Nate?

BoiseBYU
All Star

Post by BoiseBYU »

Cougs_Rule wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:No one has answered me why Anae went away from Carter yet? I'm wondering if Bib can explain exactly what "adjustments" were made defensively to stop BYU from rolling?

Right. I'm not ready to chuck ANAE out, but what adjustments? And why away from Nate?
How about the offense was working whether Carter was running the ball or not? We moved the ball most all the night. What stopped us was not a lack of Carter runs, but untimely turnovers. Carter was great, but it wasn't like Stewart and the others were chopped liver.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

BoiseBYU wrote:
Cougs_Rule wrote:

How about the offense was working whether Carter was running the ball or not? We moved the ball most all the night. What stopped us was not a lack of Carter runs, but untimely turnovers. Carter was great, but it wasn't like Stewart and the others were chopped liver.
This. Plus this. Carter fumbled the last time he touched it. Inexperience. Then a play or two later, the play fans have been waiting to see reappear after it worked so well at UCONN, this time backwards pass to Houk. Bam fumble. Inexperience. They used Lasike to run after that. He ran well. Plus this. Down 14 points, you have to quit running and keep throwing in the 4th quarter. Carter got his 2 carries in the 3rd. Element of surprise. Set up by the pass. Then with the ramped up pressure, the adjustment Nevada made, Stewart gets stripped twice. Inexperience. Even these 3 turnovers would not have been fatal if defense and special teams had provided better field position. That is why field position matters. If you keep getting asked to go 80 or 90 yards, mistakes happen and if they happen deep in your own territory - ouch. Better question is why the defense could not create 1 turnover when Nevada could create 3. Why could special teams give up big plays, but never make any. Why miss field gosls. Why shank a punt. Why kick out of bounds. Why on-site kick gets a penalty for not going 10 yards plus another for offsides. The offense made 3 huge mistakes. They made up for them and for most of the mistakes made by defense and ST. Defense and ST made more mistakes and did nothing to make up for them.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

Cougarbib wrote:Carter fumbled the last time he touched it. Inexperience. [ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
Carter fumbled?

Houk fumbled. Stewart fumbled on a sack. Stewart fumbled on the final drive. BYU only had three fumbles for the game. I don't recall Carter fumbling.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!