My case against Robert Anae

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: My case against Robert Anae

Post by Brayden Green »

SpiffCoug wrote:
BlueIsBetter wrote:Yeah, because Algie and Stewart have been held accountable for their fumbles/INTs, and the Oline for their penalties ad false starts and rediculous personal fouls, Matthews accountable for his PIs and not contesting INTs thrown his way, etc...

Anae wants to come down on the guy averaging 12.5 yards a carry and bench him after a 20 yard run when we didn't even lose the ball? Ok, fine. But where is the consistency?

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
OL hasn't had many false starts this year.
0 vs UConn
1 vs Texas
0 vs Houston
1 vs Virginia
3 vs Utah St
2 vs UCF
0 vs Nevada.

That's 7 in 7 games. Last year we had 17 thru 7 games. That's a marked and impressive level of improvement by the OL.
And holding? And Personal Fouls? Illegal Formation? Offensive PI?

We are the most penalized team in the nation for a reason, and it isn't all on the defense. Think of how many deep plays (Taysom Runs, etc) have been called back this year. And that isn't even talking about qb hurryups, knockdowns, sacks, and the qb getting pushed out of the pocket.

The offensive line *might* be better, but it isn't even close to being a good unit.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BlueIsBetter wrote:We are the most penalized team in the nation for a reason
Actually, #70 in penalties per game with 6.15 penalties per game.

In penalty yards per game, we are #122, better than Marshall (7-0, #23), Texas Tech (3-4, NR), and Baylor (6-1, #12). Only slightly worse than ECU (5-1, #18).

If anything, looking at the five most penalized (on a yards per game basis), you'd come away thinking maybe more penalties is correlated with winning as TTech is the only one with a losing record, and 3 of the other 4 are ranked in the top-25, and the 4th was ranked until it lost half its team to an injury bug.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

It might be very interesting to see data about where the penalties arise. I think one of the blindspots of Blue is that he attributes everything that is not the defense to the offense and then attributes all of that to the offensive coordinator.

I have no idea how the penalties break down. There, I admitted it.
An analysis of penalty count, penalty yards, some criticality indicator - drive killing - opponent drive extending - terrible field position, - like when Koroma had 15 yards tacked on to the end of a sack and we had 4th and 30 or 40 at the 10 yard line. And then average that by number of snaps that unit has been on the field.

My wild guess is that Special Teams units like the offsides on kicks, not getting it 10 yards, kicking out of bounds, and then return defense penalties and return offense penalties are disproportionate given the few plays they are on the field. There are definitely plenty to go around. Offense certainly gets its share. Defense is not immune either.

Look at the average field position for BYU and for Nevada and for every series throughout the game. That was the issue. pure and simple. And, until very late in the 3rd quarter, the defense and special teams were the cause of all of that disparity. In the 4th quarter, the entire team, including the offense contributed to the disparity. That is what went wrong.

Inexperienced teams make mistakes. Inexperienced players and coaches make mistakes. Actually all players and coaches make some mistakes. Inexperienced ones make more of them.

There is a direct comparison up north if anyone wants to make the comparison. Kyle vs Bronco. pretty close really.

Sitake > Howell > J Hill.

Anae > any of the steady stream of OC up there lately.

Now if you want to compare our crew against Bama, Ohio State, Florida State, LSU, etc., different outcome. Quite a bit different. If Blue cannot accept that, he is rooting for the wrong team.

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

OL is marginally better, maybe. The number of sacks will continue to climb since CStew isn't as mobile as Hill. Hill would tuck and run the moment things started to collapse. Looks like he was right to as much as we bemoaned the tuck 'n run mentality.

Penalties seem to have dropped, but maybe I'm just getting used to us being penalized all the time.

Bronco and Anae are not inexperienced coaches. They should know how to get teams playing sound, fundamental, mistake-free football. This isn't their first rodeo, and I see no reason why fans can't hold them accountable for such. I certainly hope Holmoe isn't giving them a pass.

On the topic of Carter - I hope he gets more reps. I like his speed. Was nice to see an RB out there that actually looked faster than the other players.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
Schmoe
Retired

Post by Schmoe »

snoscythe wrote:

In penalty yards per game, we are #122, better than Marshall (7-0, #23), Texas Tech (3-4, NR), and Baylor (6-1, #12). Only slightly worse than ECU (5-1, #18).

If anything, looking at the five most penalized (on a yards per game basis), you'd come away thinking maybe more penalties is correlated with winning as TTech is the only one with a losing record, and 3 of the other 4 are ranked in the top-25, and the 4th was ranked until it lost half its team to an injury bug.
On that same note, the Seahawks were the most penalized team in the NFL last year.

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

Gunk wrote:OL is marginally better, maybe. The number of sacks will continue to climb since CStew isn't as mobile as Hill. Hill would tuck and run the moment things started to collapse. Looks like he was right to as much as we bemoaned the tuck 'n run mentality.

Penalties seem to have dropped, but maybe I'm just getting used to us being penalized all the time.

Bronco and Anae are not inexperienced coaches. They should know how to get teams playing sound, fundamental, mistake-free football. This isn't their first rodeo, and I see no reason why fans can't hold them accountable for such. I certainly hope Holmoe isn't giving them a pass.

On the topic of Carter - I hope he gets more reps. I like his speed. Was nice to see an RB out there that actually looked faster than the other players.
i am not sure sacks will go up with stew. taysom got a lot of sacks because he held on to the ball too long. stew gets it out quicker.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by Cougarbib »

Gunk wrote:OL is marginally better, maybe. The number of sacks will continue to climb since CStew isn't as mobile as Hill. Hill would tuck and run the moment things started to collapse. Looks like he was right to as much as we bemoaned the tuck 'n run mentality.

I doubt he is faster than Williams, and Williams does not out run many corner backs. He looked fast, because there was a lot of room to run after it was set up by throwing several times.

Anybody have data? BTW, Brown had a great run and a good catch and run on 2 touches - bam. Ankle. Lasike ran well. We set up the run well with our passing game. Heck, the 5th string RB could have run through those holes! ;)

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
ABYUFAN
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by ABYUFAN »

Cougarbib wrote:

I doubt he is faster than Williams, and Williams does not out run many corner backs. He looked fast, because there was a lot of room to run after it was set up by throwing several times.

Anybody have data? BTW, Brown had a great run and a good catch and run on 2 touches - bam. Ankle. Lasike ran well. We set up the run well with our passing game. Heck, the 5th string RB could have run through those holes! ;)

Just to be clear... Williams is fast.. as in VERY FAST. He wasn't on the track team this year because he is powerful... it was because he is fast

Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

snoscythe wrote:

Well, those teams score touchdowns all game long. Us? Not so much. It's an interesting correlation (until last week we were second from last, I'm working with old data), but considering the number of first downs we have given away, and touchdowns that have been called back, we can't afford it. We don't have a home run hitter anymore now that Taysom is gone, and our OC is benching anyone that gets over 12.5 yards a carry for no apparent reason.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

snoscythe
Retired

Post by snoscythe »

BYU does not have a penalty problem, they have a stupid penalty problem.

Penalties are okay if they come in the context of being aggressive and taking risks. Stupid penalties (e.g. offsides on an on-side kick attempt, personal fouls) are not.