Terenn Houk WR Recruit - Impressions

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Terenn Houk WR Recruit - Impressions

Post by jonnylingo »

cougarfan2011 wrote:Here is my last word on this matter. I will not defend my opinion anymore. Let’s just look at the facts.
• Was the athlete rated by any scouting service (Rivals, Scout, etc)? No.
• Was the athlete recruited by any other DI school? No.
• Is he even the one of the top three fastest receivers in the district? No not even in the top three on his team.
• Is the athlete LDS? No.
• Was this a surprise? Yes. Just ask anyone from that community and it is “Hey did you hear BYU Offered Terenn Houk a full ride scholarship”.

My biggest issue with this athlete is there are plenty of LDS receivers out there that should have been an opportunity to play. It isn’t like he is a 4 or 5 star receiver. BYU recruiters have a hard time getting outside the state of Utah and it isn’t fair to those that are LDS and not in Utah. Those poor boys never get the chance. I am just glad when my son went through the process a few years ago he didn’t have any interest in BYU because even if he did BYU would have never looked at him
Are you saying that because he is white and mormon byu would not give him a shot. I had to chuckle at this. :lol: :lol: Haven't heard that one before.

CougarPeasant
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by CougarPeasant »

jonnylingo wrote:
cougarfan2011 wrote:Here is my last word on this matter. I will not defend my opinion anymore. Let’s just look at the facts.
• Is he even the one of the top three fastest receivers in the district? No not even in the top three on his team.
• Was this a surprise? Yes. Just ask anyone from that community and it is “Hey did you hear BYU Offered Terenn Houk a full ride scholarship”.

My biggest issue with this athlete is there are plenty of LDS receivers out there that should have been an opportunity to play. It isn’t like he is a 4 or 5 star receiver. BYU recruiters have a hard time getting outside the state of Utah and it isn’t fair to those that are LDS and not in Utah. Those poor boys never get the chance. I am just glad when my son went through the process a few years ago he didn’t have any interest in BYU because even if he did BYU would have never looked at him
Are you saying that because he is white and mormon byu would not give him a shot. I had to chuckle at this. :lol: :lol: Haven't heard that one before.

I guess he's not aware of Neal and Weeks, the top two receivers in Az, both LDS and both offered by BYU for next year's recruiting class. Weeks has accepted already.

bcsbuster
Recruit
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by bcsbuster »

CougarPeasant wrote:
jonnylingo wrote:

I guess he's not aware of Neal and Weeks, the top two receivers in Az, both LDS and both offered by BYU for next year's recruiting class. Weeks has accepted already.
Interesting comments by cougarfan, I do not agree with him at all. Is weeks black or white?

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://byu.scout.com/2/1046721.html Good interview. He is now friends with Jake Kuresa and is a strong Christian.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Exerpts from the tbs article:

Houk isn’t LDS, but shares a very strong Christian belief system, which made him feel at home while on his visit to BYU a couple of weeks ago. In that way, he’s very similar to current BYU player Joshua Quezada, who was his host while on his trip.

Quezada showed him around the dorms and really gave him a good sense of what BYU was truly like for a non-LDS student athlete.

“I’m so grateful that Juice [Quezada] was my host,” said Houk. “He’s great. I was a bit nervous about feeling awkward at BYU with it being a Mormon school, but it wasn’t that way at all. I have the same standards as all the other Mormons that go to BYU."

“I love Coach Mendenhall and how he is as a coach and as a person,” Houk said. “Not just him, but all the BYU coaches. I could really feel how much they cared for me and my growth as a person, not just as a football player."

It appears that diversity was not as significant a factor as others have posted. Yes, Juice had a similar background, but BL is that the Y coaches (primarily white) helped him feel welcomed, loved and he trusted them. That is how we will attract and land recruits. These are the kind of recruits Bronco wants and in reality, it is a small pool that we will be drawing from, but it will result in success.

byucougarfan2011
Gray Shirt

Post by byucougarfan2011 »

forthecause wrote:I don't know who wrote the "411" on Terenn Houk and watched him play, but they obviously don't know this kid. I am also from that area and have never heard of him being termed "lazy." As far as not being a "leader" that's kind of funny when you think of the fact that he is ASB president of his school, has a 3.98 GPA and was a captain of his team. If anything, this guy leads by example. He was first team all league, all state, and is an amazing athlete. Even though his high school didn't do as well, other coaches have constantly commented on his athletic ability and frame and hands. He is almost 6'5 and although he needs to work on his speed, once his frame is built up, he will be unstoppable. Despite what you may think, he is a diamond in the rough and this will be seen if you are lucky enough to get him. By the way, BYU did offer him a full ride scholarship effective in January. Sorry, I usually don't comment but I'm from that area and the person who was writing all those derogatory comments obviously does not know this kid or the type of athlete he is. Also, I'm curious as to how he knows what the coach of his high school thinks...curious.
Just curious to see how has this recruit panned out for BYU? Anyone hear anything about him? Good kid I am sure but just haven't seen much.

mizzoucoug
Pro

Post by mizzoucoug »

The only things I've seen are from practice reports. One mentioned he had a couple of drops...

byucougarfan2011
Gray Shirt

mizzoucoug wrote:The only things I've seen are from practice reports. One mentioned he had a couple of drops...
All receivers have dropped passes. Just part of learning and getting better. I am just curious about the prospects of him starting this year? I read an article in the spring about him coming out as the most improved. I saw he added a ton of weight like everyone said BYU would do to/for him.

CrimsonCoug
Senior
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by CrimsonCoug »

Houk is listed as the starter at the Slot for the UCONN depth chart that just came out.

The problems of the world cannot possibly be solved by skeptics or cynics whose horizons are limited to the obvious realities. We need men who can dream of things that never were and ask, "Why Not?" -JFK & SWK
byucougarfan2011
Gray Shirt

So besides being a good kid this recruit I would say was less than impressive. Wish he would have proved me wrong. Previous coaching staff were idiots when it came to most talent evaluations.