Terenn Houk WR Recruit - Impressions

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
willobrien
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Terenn Houk WR Recruit - Impressions

Post by willobrien »

[q
cougarfan2011 wrote:I believe players do talk and usually see a lot more than any coach does. So my information came from players as well as observations of him playing when they were at camp (UPS). Anytime he screwed up he always came up "hurt". The kid may be a good kid. As for his play on the field. I am pretty sure he wasn't all state (go look up the roster online). I am glad he got a full ride offer for next year. I will be interested in seeing if BYU keeps with it all four years. I hope I am wrong it would be great to see athletes in the area starting to be seen. Even though there are better ones and more deserving.
I know this kid personally and he was only at that UPS camp for two days because his uncle passed away (tragically) that same week by drowning at a local lake...he was only 24. And I watched the scrimmages at UPS and never saw him get hurt so I question where you got your information from. Also, he has been invited to play in the all-state game. It seems like you really have something against this kid, which is sad. Regardless if you agree that he's a good athlete or not, your posts seem more of a personal attack. For what my opinion's worth, this kid is half samoan, half black and is an amazing athlete. When his samoan genes kick in and his frame is built up, he was be even more unstoppable. Just my thoughts.

byucougar1
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by byucougar1 »

Look at Bronco's last couple of recruiting classes. Everyone on them has been selected because they can play, contribute, and add something to the team. This kid must have something special or the it factor because he was offered a schollie after they saw him perform in camp. That says something and should dispel any beliefs about whether he is a wise choice or not. They often offer kids under the radar early so they can lock them up before they get a lot of attention. Maybe that is the case here. He is someone they see as having great potential that they can harness with proper coaching and the Y factor influence.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

cougarfan2011
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU is OK

Post by cougarfan2011 »

When I refer to lazy it is on his route running abilities. Look at film I am sure you will see it. And if his route isn't available he will run into other routes and lanes. And when you look at what he does in the weight room. From my understanding the coach there has a great work out program. How much can he bench? What can he squat? Those are the areas of laziness. If he didn't gain bulk with the coaches program will he? And the more I think about it, who knows a kids GPA besides his parents and coach? So no bias there right. At least my opinion (based off what I saw) is unbiased. I am sure I can go into a lot of other details like Who did he run against for class president? What other schools were recruiting him? I am sure Sarks isn't asking his recruiters where did this guy come from right now. When a make the district playoffs or not game is on the line what does he do in that game (including the opening kickoff)? If I am wrong I can eat my words and will.

Devbo
BLUEshirt

Post by Devbo »

Just do a couple searches on google for Terenn Houk Enumclaw and you'll see several articles that speak favorably about the kid. Apparently he plays basketball and does track too...

*And he was picked to play in some Polynesian all-star game.
http://recruiting.scout.com/2/1033676.html

forthecause
Gray Shirt

Post by forthecause »

cougarfan2011 wrote:When I refer to lazy it is on his route running abilities. Look at film I am sure you will see it. And if his route isn't available he will run into other routes and lanes. And when you look at what he does in the weight room. From my understanding the coach there has a great work out program. How much can he bench? What can he squat? Those are the areas of laziness. If he didn't gain bulk with the coaches program will he? And the more I think about it, who knows a kids GPA besides his parents and coach? So no bias there right. At least my opinion (based off what I saw) is unbiased. I am sure I can go into a lot of other details like Who did he run against for class president? What other schools were recruiting him? I am sure Sarks isn't asking his recruiters where did this guy come from right now. When a make the district playoffs or not game is on the line what does he do in that game (including the opening kickoff)? If I am wrong I can eat my words and will.
Okay. We know your opinion now. I guess we'll see how he does if he decides to go to BYU. As for his GPA, I would think that you would know that too since you know everything (supposedly) about him. Recruiters (who want their kids to graduate) ask for GPA's, transcripts and test scores so I'm assuming that mostly everyone knows his GPA. And give me a break...you want to know who he ran against for high school president? That alone says enough.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

well, Gurney from TBS is tweeting that he's ours now.

Guess we'll find out who is wrong, and who is dead.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Houk must be to die for :-)

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

beauso79
All-American

Post by beauso79 »

http://byu.scout.com/2/1046265.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Coaches liken him to Cody Hoffman - here's hoping lightning strikes twice

Lawboy
Over-Achiever

Post by Lawboy »

No schollie in the fall, not until January 2012. So he sounds like a 2011 redshirt to me. Great size, hopes he pans out like Hoff.

cougarfan2011
Gray Shirt
Fan Level: BYU is OK

Post by cougarfan2011 »

Here is my last word on this matter. I will not defend my opinion anymore. Let’s just look at the facts.
• Was the athlete rated by any scouting service (Rivals, Scout, etc)? No.
• Was the athlete recruited by any other DI school? No.
• Is he even the one of the top three fastest receivers in the district? No not even in the top three on his team.
• Is the athlete LDS? No.
• Was this a surprise? Yes. Just ask anyone from that community and it is “Hey did you hear BYU Offered Terenn Houk a full ride scholarship”.

My biggest issue with this athlete is there are plenty of LDS receivers out there that should have been an opportunity to play. It isn’t like he is a 4 or 5 star receiver. BYU recruiters have a hard time getting outside the state of Utah and it isn’t fair to those that are LDS and not in Utah. Those poor boys never get the chance. I am just glad when my son went through the process a few years ago he didn’t have any interest in BYU because even if he did BYU would have never looked at him