Terenn Houk WR Recruit - Impressions

BYU Cougars Football. Still Open, now Independent.
beauso79
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Terenn Houk WR Recruit - Impressions

Post by beauso79 »

Why are you so bitter?? Sounds like you're just pissed off because BYU never offered your son a scholarship. You're bagging on Houk and would probably have bagged on Cody Hoffman as well. Not many D-1 schools were interested in Hoffman at the time but now he's one of our better receivers. I'm sure glad you're not a talent evaluator for us. Houk must have done something to impress the coaches when he was visiting.

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

And the truth finally comes out, bitter because their son wasn't offered a scholie. It's not like BYU gets recruits from Florida to Hawaii. No, they never leave Utah.

It's time to sack up and admit that your boy, no matter how great of a kid he is, just wasn't good enough for the Cougars.

Schmoe
Retired
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by Schmoe »

I played with some outstanding players in high school who were never offered by BYU. Guess what? It happens! They didn't get bitter, they either enrolled and walked on or took offers from other schools (in short, THEY MOVED ON WITH THEIR LIVES, DO THE SAME!).

I'm just a regular, everyday normal guy,
I can't afford a car, I use public transportation,
I don't mind, I read till I reach my destination,
sometimes a newspaper, sometimes a book,
the money I save, this stuff is off the hook,
urroner
Heisman Winner

Post by urroner »

cougarfan2011 wrote:Here is my last word on this matter. I will not defend my opinion anymore. Let’s just look at the facts.
• Was the athlete rated by any scouting service (Rivals, Scout, etc)? No.
So....
• Was the athlete recruited by any other DI school? No.
So...
• Is he even the one of the top three fastest receivers in the district? No not even in the top three on his team.
So...
• Is the athlete LDS? No.
Your point is that only LDS should be allowed? Get real dude. Maybe we should have told Detmer and McMahon both to go to Hell.
• Was this a surprise? Yes. Just ask anyone from that community and it is “Hey did you hear BYU Offered Terenn Houk a full ride scholarship”.
And....
My biggest issue with this athlete is there are plenty of LDS receivers out there that should have been an opportunity to play. It isn’t like he is a 4 or 5 star receiver. BYU recruiters have a hard time getting outside the state of Utah and it isn’t fair to those that are LDS and not in Utah. Those poor boys never get the chance. I am just glad when my son went through the process a few years ago he didn’t have any interest in BYU because even if he did BYU would have never looked at him
Care for some cheese with that whine.

It's time to be an adult and move on. Let it go. What lousy excuses you have.

Excuses are but the flimsy garments with which we seek to camouflage the nakedness of our weaknesses and your camo gear is lousy. Did you ever hear the story about the emperor's new clothes?

Last edited by urroner on Sun Feb 06, 2011 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Where the hell am I going and why am I in this handbasket?
bigbluepuma
All-American

Post by bigbluepuma »

[quote="cougarfan2011"]Here is my last word on this matter. I will not defend my opinion anymore. Let’s just look at the facts.
• Was the athlete rated by any scouting service (Rivals, Scout, etc)? No.
• Was the athlete recruited by any other DI school? No.

Wow, sounds a lot like several of BYU's biggest stars, even some who have gone on to pro careers. Seems to me that Bronco has often said that he doesn't care what the recruiting services have to say, or whether other schools are interested. I think he likes to evaluate them himself. Go figure.

cscoug
BLUEshirt

Post by cscoug »

Regardless of anyone's opinion here, it looks like he is on his way.

http://byu.scout.com/2/1046265.html

I really hope he turns out to be another Cody Hoffman. Can't really argue against how he is turning out for us.

CougarClaw
Pro

Post by CougarClaw »

I LOVE scouting services....

Let's see
Austin Collie: 2 stars
Jimmer Fredette: 2 stars
Harvey Unga: 3 stars...

Boooriiiing..

jonnylingo
All Star
Fan Level: Don't Like BYU

Post by jonnylingo »

Too lazy to check if this was already posted.

http://washington.scout.com/2/979718.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This was a review by a washington guy after watching him in camp.
WR Terenn Houk - Enumclaw 6-5, 200: Houk is another example of a two-day camper that maybe was overshadowed during the first day but really came out to play the second day. Houk is not a physical receiver blessed with sprinter speed; he does what he has to do to get separation and then lets his leaping ability and great hands finish the play. On Wednesday he showed more physicality in beating jams, and that is what will turn him into a more desirable prospect - because he already has the athleticism to be a solid possession receiver. Houk, despite going to a lot of spring and summer camps and combines, hasn't broken through with a lot of solid looks from colleges - but I believe it's a matter of time before some schools start to respect his work ethic and determination when it comes to maximizing his potential. He wants it, and it's time others started paying attention.
The more I learn about this guy the more he sounds like a perfect fit for byu. byu can make him great.

talcougar
Gray Shirt

Post by talcougar »

Perhaps you might have heard of Jerry Rice. Arguably one of the greatest pro athletes of ALL time. Zero Div-1 scholarship offers. Played at Mississippi Valley State. The rest is history.

frdbtr
Over-Achiever

Post by frdbtr »

Dennis Pitta was recruited by NO ONE, walked on at BYU and look what happened. Pitta was too small to be a tight end, too slow to be a reciever (he played wide out in high school). BYU converted im to TE, put weight on him and look what happened. That guy bagging on this kid with unfounded accusations is just bitter. His Son was probably the kid that Houk beat out for a position on the football team, won out on the girl that both of them wanted to take to the prom and was probably the guy that lost to Houk in the race for class president. Some people really need to just let things go.