Discussion and information on upcoming and past BYU recruiting classes
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

2015 - Porter Gustin DE/LB

Post by scott715 »

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NO BYU offer but he is very near to campus. Good offers and we would have a good chance to get him.

Ddawg
All Star
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Re: 2015 - Porter Gustin DE/LB

Post by Ddawg »

This athlete is a bonafide stud monster. He would be a huge get for there Cougs. I wonder why the Y hasn't offered? USC, Wisconsin, Stanford and the Yewts have offered. We'll see.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think there is a question if he would be a good fit on campus. He attended the football camp last year. KVN needs to pay him a visit.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

The article suggests that due to limited scholarships at LB he didn't fit into their plans. Perhaps they are still waiting to see how things pan out at the summer camp. He seems to fit in the mold of Troy Hinds or Alani Fua, so I am not sure why he wouldn't be considered. However, with as thorough evaluation as the staff has been recently doing, if he merits an offer, he will get one.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I think if he is a 4 star talent, we should take him. Would we turn down a KVN if we were short of scholarships? I'm not saying he is KVN but we have to take kids that could become stars.

byucougar1
Pro

Post by byucougar1 »

Unless they are can't miss talent, BYU's recent pattern of recruiting is to methodically wait until full due diligence performed. I haven't seen any indication that they aren't constantly scouring for talent bass upon the recent Nelson and Jackson finds well after signing day.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

From wnat I am hearing, the reason is an overallotment to LBs and a shortage of scholarships. The kid is 4 stars and will end up 5 stars after all of the top schools offering him. We have gotten ourselves in a bind.

Now then, he will serve a mission first. A lot can happen in two years. He can play other positions like TE. He works hard and is coachable. He can make the other players better. Using one transfers can fill the hole that wouuld be created by signing him. And with attrition, it could all work out in the end.

I hope we offer him.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

http://www.cougarboard.com/board/messag ... d=12331049" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

When you need the truth you just have to ask. Three phone calls landed me the correct information regarding Gustin and his recruitment.
You can enjoy this article because it's true!
Apparently BYU has shown a significant interest in Porter, even prior to him receiving over 30 official offers. He had been on campus several times to meet with various coaches including Bronco and enjoyed his visits.
Porter has a very high respect for BYU and for many reasons. First and foremost I was able to discover that his mother (Scarlett Overly Gustin) was an exceptional basketball player for the BYU women's basketball team in the late 80's. His aunt (Amberly Gustin Nelson) was also a great player for the BYU women's basketball team in the early 90's. He has been recruited by Coach Littlewood to be a pitcher and has a high respect for our baseball team. As a young LDS kid from Boise, he traveled to BYU to participate in several youth camps throughout the years. Porter apparently idolizes KVN and the way he plays and understands the recognition available to OLB's in BYU defensive system.
Bottom line is he has interest in BYU. Our staff apparently recognizes that this kid can flat out play. They have been in communication with Porter as well as his Football coach at Salem Hills for months. There are no questions unanswered and it has ZERO to do with character. On the contrary, it sounds like the coaching staff really likes the kid for who he is and his humble demeanor on and off the field.
His offer has been delayed slightly because the available scholarships for the OLB spot have already been awarded to other players. The scramble is on now to secure or rather to attempt to secure Gustin by finding room.
We can't lose this player. Analysts believe that he might be one of the most highly recruited players to ever come through the state of Utah. He is expected to have over 50 offers by signing day and plans to announce his school of choice at the US Army All-American football game in Texas this January, which he has already been invited to participate in. One can only hope to see the "Y" hat selected from the table.
Sources say that a creative juggling act has been in the works to free the needed scholarship for Gustin and that an offer is possible in the very near future.
I will say this. Gustin will continue to receive high profile offers from around the country. I just honestly hope he understands our scholarship dilemma and keeps us in mind.
That is the true story behind the late offer and hopefully we can sign him so we don't have to face him some day! He looks like a grown man out there already.

stgeorgefan
Senior

Post by stgeorgefan »

Thanks for clearing that up scott. He recently had Urban personally offer him a schollie from Ohio St. Kid can go anywhere. What i read and heard implied that Porter was upset that Byu hasn't offered him and that Byu was off the table due to not jumping on him early when he was very interested.

byufan4ever
Heisman Winner

Post by byufan4ever »

scott715 wrote:I think if he is a 4 star talent, we should take him. Would we turn down a KVN if we were short of scholarships? I'm not saying he is KVN but we have to take kids that could become stars.
I can't stress how important this is. Get rid of the "we only have x scholarships available for this position." When you have a kid with this talent that is even remotely interested, YOU MAKE ROOM. How many QBs have we offered? We have at least one that has already verbally comitted to another school. Give him that scholarship. I understand that there are certain position needs, but BYU needs to be flexible enough to go after talented kids like this.

"life is 10% what happens to me and 90% how I react to it." - Charles Swindoll
NCAA Tournament > empty wins