Discussion and information on upcoming and past BYU recruiting classes
Stirfry
All-American
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2015 - Porter Gustin DE/LB

Post by Stirfry »

byufan4ever wrote:
scott715 wrote:I think if he is a 4 star talent, we should take him. Would we turn down a KVN if we were short of scholarships? I'm not saying he is KVN but we have to take kids that could become stars.
I can't stress how important this is. Get rid of the "we only have x scholarships available for this position." When you have a kid with this talent that is even remotely interested, YOU MAKE ROOM. How many QBs have we offered? We have at least one that has already verbally comitted to another school. Give him that scholarship. I understand that there are certain position needs, but BYU needs to be flexible enough to go after talented kids like this.
My first impression of this is absolutely we make room and see if we can get him. We're crazy to turn down a local kid that wants to be here if the only concern is space. Some commits won’t sign and I'd assume they over offer by a few spots every year knowing this. Also at BYU, someone will be getting kicked off the team by the time he comes.

I hate the idea though of cutting scholarships for kids. If they are giving full effort and the coaches just misevaluated their talent they shouldn't lose a scholi. However, unless we've already overcommitted due to a built in allowance for de-commits and kicked outs we should be offering this kid.

At the same time, 1 semester of BYU is pretty cheap for tithing paying members, especially for a family that has already committed the cash to get their kid to this level. If he really wants to come I'd think he'd come and pay his own way for 1 semester.

Finally figured out how to get the Rich Rod quote off my signature that randomly showed up! Sorry if you thought I stole it from you……..whoever it was that used to have it