A recent recruiting miss

BYU Cougars on the court.
scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: A recent recruiting miss

Post by scott715 »

I don't think you can call a miss for a walk on. Nothing was lost.

BlueK
Senior

Post by BlueK »

meh, some internet fans are just trying really hard to be critical. It's going to be fun watching BYU basketball over the next several years with the talent coming in, so we'd better take our shots at the program now.

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble...
E-Zone15
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by E-Zone15 »

Mars wrote:Jake Toolson goes down as a recruiting miss for me, as he came to BYU and didn't pan out as planned. Which of the guys below (with scholarships) will be added to that list as well?

Jordan Chatman
Alan Hamson
Jakob Hartsock
Braiden Shaw
Jamal Aytes
Elijah Bryant
Davin Guinn
Corbin Kaufusi
Jordan Chatman 6' 5" 195 just finished his freshman year and IMO was BYU best defensive guard
Alan Hamson 7' 2" 210 is a walk-on that red-shirted
Jakob Hartsock 6' 8" 205 just finished his freshman season and has not even been back from his mission for a year now.
Braiden Shaw 6' 9" 210 same as Hartsock, but Braiden will not see much time with the likes of Mika 6' 10", Dastrup 6' 10", and Childs 6' 8" joining the team.
Jamal Aytes 6' 6" 235 has been plagued with injuries and IMO missed his window, because he is under height (6' 6") now shorted than all of the 3 newly add Top 100 big men recruits.
Elijah Bryant 6' 5" 210 has already proved he can play D1 ball at Elon.
Davin Guinn 6' 5" 190 walk-on soon to be a Jr.
Corbin Kaufusi 6' 10" 255 former walk on, soon to be Jr that has started 36 games, 320 points, 294 rebounds, and 76 blocks. Corbin only will have had basketball scholarship for last year, so no worries he will now be a walk on (now on a football scholarship).

Mars
Retired

Post by Mars »

E-Zone15 wrote: Jordan Chatman 6' 5" 195 just finished his freshman year and IMO was BYU best defensive guard
Jakob Hartsock 6' 8" 205 just finished his freshman season and has not even been back from his mission for a year now.
Braiden Shaw 6' 9" 210 same as Hartsock, but Braiden will not see much time with the likes of Mika 6' 10", Dastrup 6' 10", and Childs 6' 8" joining the team.
Jamal Aytes 6' 6" 235 has been plagued with injuries and IMO missed his window, because he is under height (6' 6") now shorted than all of the 3 newly add Top 100 big men recruits.
Good comments. So maybe Shaw and Aytes are the biggest worries about not panning out at this point.

Mars Cauthon, Prince of the Cougars!
Resident board douchebag.
https://twitter.com/#!/eldermars
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

Why are we wondering who isn't going to pan out? That seems like a weird thing to do... Why don't we wonder about who is absolutely going to blow up and dominate instead!

When Brayden posts Kalani be like:

E-Zone15
BLUEshirt
Fan Level: BYU Fan

Post by E-Zone15 »

Brayden Green wrote:Why are we wondering who isn't going to pan out? That seems like a weird thing to do... Why don't we wonder about who is absolutely going to blow up and dominate instead!

I think normally Shaw and Aytes would rank right up there for BYU Bigs, it just that Mika, Dastrup, and Childs should be very special players, So minutes for Shaw and Aytes, IMO will be very hard to find. Hamson is the one I find interesting, because you don't often find walk-ons that red-shirt.

BYULV
Heisman Winner

Post by BYULV »

E-Zone15 wrote:
Brayden Green wrote:Why are we wondering who isn't going to pan out? That seems like a weird thing to do... Why don't we wonder about who is absolutely going to blow up and dominate instead!

I think normally Shaw and Aytes would rank right up there for BYU Bigs, it just that Mika, Dastrup, and Childs should be very special players, So minutes for Shaw and Aytes, IMO will be very hard to find. Hamson is the one I find interesting, because you don't often find walk-ons that red-shirt.
I think I remember hearing ha son is a raw, work in progress with a history of health concerns. He may never pan out, but he is 7'2" tall and not taking up scholarship space, so no harm having him with the team.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

I heard he had surgery on his knee.

CentralCoastCoug
Gray Shirt

Post by CentralCoastCoug »

Hey guys - looooong time lurker, first post that I can remember. I was around for the realist vs optimist debates, Airwolf, Jefe, and all that fun. Thanks for the years of entertainment.

Hamson served his mission here in California and I remember seeing him at stake conference a few times. He has one thing going for him - he's tall. Other than that, I didn't get the impression his mobility is very good. When I heard he was walking on after the mission I was very surprised as he didn't seem like a D1 athlete to me. I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't count on him being a significant contributor on the court. Seemed like a really nice guy though!

hawkwing
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by hawkwing »

CentralCoastCoug wrote:Hey guys - looooong time lurker, first post that I can remember. I was around for the realist vs optimist debates, Airwolf, Jefe, and all that fun. Thanks for the years of entertainment.

Hamson served his mission here in California and I remember seeing him at stake conference a few times. He has one thing going for him - he's tall. Other than that, I didn't get the impression his mobility is very good. When I heard he was walking on after the mission I was very surprised as he didn't seem like a D1 athlete to me. I hope I'm wrong, but I wouldn't count on him being a significant contributor on the court. Seemed like a really nice guy though!
Thanks for posting and your thoughts. It's always good to get the lurkers talking!