2013 class ranked 9 as of right now

BYU Cougars on the court.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: 2013 class ranked 9 as of right now

Post by Cougs_Rule »

Makes sense. But not all 20 or even top 10 recruiting classes will collect multiple top 20 players in the country. Maybe Kentucky, Kansas, duke, UCONN, depending on number of departures from the team. Beyond that, a #1 recruit and #56 recruit or whatever Emery is and if any of the others bump into top 100, it will at least be top 20 and maybe top 10.
Important thing is that it will at least be top 20 as is. If Jabari commits.....!!!!!!!

scott715
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Post by scott715 »

Last year Purdue was #20. They had four 4 star recruits all top 100.

http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=9&c=8& ... 14&yr=2012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

Numbers and asterisks and asteroids aside, this is a very good BYU class relatively speaking and has the potential to become the best ever with Jabari Parker.

But, then, the last class I recall being loaded like that had Shawn Bradley, Ryan Cuff, and one other big time local recruit who were all soon gone due to perceptions of their own greatness. Cuff felt ripped off for sharing playing time with Randy Reid. Then he sat out a year transferring to ASU. Then sat on the bench before transferring to Weber State and eventually enjoying a decent senior season - won't find his name on any NBA roster.

Hopefully these guys all come and stick and pay their dues and work hard.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
Cougs_Rule
Over-Achiever

Post by Cougs_Rule »

scott715 wrote:Last year Purdue was #20. They had four 4 star recruits all top 100.

http://byu.scout.com/a.z?s=338&p=9&c=8& ... 14&yr=2012" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm not worthy. Great data. Thanks.

Cougarbib
TV Analyst

Post by Cougarbib »

nuk13 wrote:That sight didn't give any information on BYU. Who are the kids that are coming. I can only think of Emery and Haws.
Haws comes a year after Emery.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Anae just might be the guy. Wisconsin DC says Anae is totally unpredictable because he just runs a bunch of plays with no rhyme or reason. Whooped Butt on Houston DC for 3 of 4 quarters. Destroyed Texas DC and HC careers.
kjjson
Freshman

Post by kjjson »

Up to #6 currently. As has been said, I doubt it lasts with how many players there are still to commit, but still........ http://insider.espn.go.com/college-spor ... h=8&rank=6

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

snoscythe wrote:
dmcougar wrote:I wonder if all these kids would put off a mission for a year to pl at together with JB??
I don't think Rose would stand for that. He's a hard-liner on mission commitments--if you want to go on a mission, you tell him when you are going and that's when you go. If you tell him you aren't going on a mission, he will hold you to your word even if you have a change of heart and tell you to keep your word and go after you finish with basketball.

With the shorter roster in hoops, Rose can't shuffle the uncertainty as easily as the football team can with 80+ guys.

That said, I don't think Parker is a one-and-done specimen--he needs at least 2 years IMHO.
Completely agree. Parker is very very skilled, but his athleticism is suspect compared to other top tier D1 athletes. He is not a one and done guy; and if he is, he's not going to be a Cougar. This is a mature thoughtful kid and while he has vocalized his desire at NBA stardom, he also has a good head on his shoulders and maybe a bigger heart. I think we will stay in the sweepstakes for some time and he'll eventually have to chose between Duke, Kansas, and us. The more and more I hear about him, the less I think he's a Kentucky guy.
Last edited by craigoscarson on Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

craigoscarson
Pro

Post by craigoscarson »

kjjson wrote:Up to #6 currently. As has been said, I doubt it lasts with how many players there are still to commit, but still........ http://insider.espn.go.com/college-spor ... h=8&rank=6
The hoops world knows about Mika and Emery, but Shaw, Hartsock, and Worthington will have some say about our ultimate ranking.

Hartsock is a lethal scorer (better outside threat than Noah, but that threat is mitgated by the fact that he can't score at will inside, like his older brother did this year and did in high school at the tune of 30pts/gm...but still needs to fill out and Shaw/Worthington are guys that conceivably are still growing, but have no problem getting up and down the court athletically, and both can take up space physically (they aren't going to get pushed around). This seems to be a huge part of Dave Rose's big man recruiting. If they can't get back on defense, they can't play for BYU.

The longer the hoops world's eye is on BYU (mostly because of Jabari, but also because Lone Peak is a top 5 prep team this year) the more eyes will be on Hartsock, Shaw, and Worthington. If they perform, this class will stay in the top 10. If they perform and jabari comes on board, this is a top 5 class.

SenorCougar
Sophomore

Post by SenorCougar »

I can"t find the Utes on the list...Why?

saywhat
Recruit

Post by saywhat »

I don't understand why these recruiting class rankings even matter for BYU fans, except for the hype. Most of those kids in a certain class won't even play together counting missions. If Emery and Hartsock go right out of high school they won't be back until 2015 then could possibly redshirt a year still. Rankings are based on those kids coming in together and playing. That doesn't happen at BYU.