Different expectations for Basketball and Football

BYU Cougars on the court.
mizzoucoug
Pro
Fan Level: BYU Fan
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: Different expectations for Basketball and Football

Post by mizzoucoug »

My expectation is much higher for football because we are in a position to recruit sufficient athletes to go all the way. 1 player does not make a team in this game so you have a better chance through teamwork and grit to win.

My expectation for basketball is lower for the same reason--we are not in a position to recruit top basketball talent. This is a jumping, dunking, athletic man's game and BYU cannot attract these kinds of players. Thanks to the NBA, basketball now has a thuggish, streetball attraction to it. Why would a kid with game come to BYU?

And 1 player can make all the difference in basketball so the odds are that a team that has 1 awesome player will beat us even if we have better average talent (see James Harden on ASU a couple years ago).

In my opinion the difference in expectation is fair because the makeup of each sport is so different.

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Re: Different expectations for Basketball and Football

Post by Gunk »

The way I look at it the standard is national prominence.

For Football, it's a BCS bowl.

For basketball, it's a win or two in the NCAA tourney.

Why? Because at these points a team is playing on national television with the nation talking about these games. In football, it's the BCS games. Unless you're in a BCS bowl you're playing on cable televison and the only people that care about the game are the fans of either team. For basketball, the first rounds of the tournament are televised on national television so it is a national stage; however, it's not until the 2nd or 3rd round that people other than fans of a particular team care about a game.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
FurriousCougar
Freshman
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic

Re: It's a family affair! So happy for Dalton Nixon

Post by FurriousCougar »

BroncoBot wrote:
FurriousCougar wrote:Eh, I'm kinda just jumpin' in on this and I haven't taken the time to read everything, but if the argument is whether the football team or the basketball team is headed more in the right direction...I'd have to agree with it being the basketball team.

Maybe I'm way off, but it just seems to me like generally speaking in the last couple years, the basketball team has gotten at least some of those big time outstanding wins, and the football team almost always fails to get those big wins against truly great teams.
Which wins are you counting as "truly" great wins for the basketball team???
If you read the end of my post I reference the SDSU games.