Different expectations for Basketball and Football

BYU Cougars on the court.
SpiffCoug
TV Analyst
Fan Level: BYU Fanatic
Prediction Group: CougarCorner

Re: It's a family affair! So happy for Dalton Nixon

Post by SpiffCoug »

Until Bronco coaches basketball and Rose football, I think it's perfectly legitimate to hold them to different standards because their sports are, in fact different.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

SpoCoug wrote:
Gunk wrote:
jacksonman wrote:I think it is important to point out that Bronco's best years/teams came with mostly Crowtons recruits. On top of that, an offense that sported Hall, Collie, Pitta and Unga was unable to break into the BCS, a crying shame and a big hit to Bronco, considering they all went on to the Pros, two of which becoming proven commodities in the NFL.

Football has done pretty well. Basketball has done better.
Shhhh, Jacksonman, you'll only upset them.

I really don't get the push back. I have no problem admitting BYU men's volleyball is more successful than basketball. Admitting such doesn't jeopardize my endearment for basketball or its coach.

[ Post made via Mobile Device ] Image
The issue wasn't which team has done better; it was whether Coach Rose is held to a different standard than Coach Mendenhall. Even if you assume that basketball has done better than football, that doesn't disprove Bib's "original" post on this (which I agree with, even though I love both coaches the same).
What standard are we to hold Bronco to?

What standard are we to hold Rose to?

IMO, the standard is the same: national prominence and success on a national level. A standard that both coaches have talked about and both have said they are working towards. One coach/team is getting there faster than the other; meanwhile, the other coach/team is spinning its wheels with the same albeit respectable result season after season.

If Rose failed to get BYU into the NCAA tournament on a regular basis and failed to win on that stage you can bet there would be disgruntled fans. I certainly have my issues with Rose, but have to admit he's got BYU moving in the right direction. There are only 4 other schools in the nation that have made more consecutive appearances in the NCAA tournament than BYU. You can't argue with that success.

Meanwhile, football is busy doing what it did 10 years ago and the fans are getting a little restless while our neighbors to the north enjoyed national success and appear to be moving onto bigger and better.

Harsher criticism of Bronco is justified if you believe compared to basketball football is under-performing. Hence, the tangent discussion on which team is more successful.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

Rose appears to have a leg up on Bronco. That much I agree with.

But it's much easier to manage a basketball team vs a football team. Bronco has done great with his defense. His offenses have struggled, badly sometimes and I think this upsets a lot of BYU fans. They expect a high flying offense, and I believe that if BYU had a terrible defense but was scoring more and at the same time winning the same number of games, more people would be satisfied. Bronco gets his side of the football playing great. If a certain QB could have played like a D1 qb last year could have went a lot differently. If Doman was man enough to dump that certain qb earlier, last year would have gone a lot differently. Football is much harder to micromanage and part of this discussion revolves around the other coaches on BYU's staff that are either inexperienced or have struggled with their own assignments. As far as head coaching/defensive coordinator though, Bronco has done all the right things.

scott715
TV Analyst

Post by scott715 »

you can never turn a basketball center into a point guard.
I seem to remember Magic moving from PG to C in the NBA finals and winning the last game. I know I am old and he was 6' 9".

Gunk
Over-Achiever
Fan Level: BYU Blue Goggled Homer

Post by Gunk »

scott715 wrote:
you can never turn a basketball center into a point guard.
I seem to remember Magic moving from PG to C in the NBA finals and winning the last game. I know I am old and he was 6' 9".
Lebron can do damage at pretty much every position. And, I believe Kevin Garnett has played Center, Forward, and even Point Guard.

Follow me to nowhere twitter.com/gakunkel
jacksonman
BLUEshirt

Post by jacksonman »

To BroncoBot, I would argue that Bronco is a much better D-Coordinator than Head Coach, and would be much better suited for that job. He doesn't seem to manage team emotion, preparation or drama well; but he is a good D-Coord and pseudo-GA.

Bronco's best teams were under Crowtons recruits. Roses best teams were his recruits and things appear to getting better. I expect to see more of the same under Bronco (which is always one or two steps below what it feels like we should be) and I expect Rose to take us to even greater heights.

BroncoBot
Retired

Post by BroncoBot »

jacksonman wrote:To BroncoBot, I would argue that Bronco is a much better D-Coordinator than Head Coach, and would be much better suited for that job. He doesn't seem to manage team emotion, preparation or drama well; but he is a good D-Coord and pseudo-GA.

Bronco's best teams were under Crowtons recruits. Roses best teams were his recruits and things appear to getting better. I expect to see more of the same under Bronco (which is always one or two steps below what it feels like we should be) and I expect Rose to take us to even greater heights.
A good amount of Bronco's recruits are just now becoming upperclassmen and BYU was a hard sell when he first took over. I'm willing to wait a few more years to see how Bronco will do with the recruits he's bringing in now. I hate to keep bringing this up, but Heapsgate (with its entitled players and team DIS-unity) was a huge step backwards in BYU. Too bad Riley wasn't healthy in 2010 and it's too bad that Heaps just couldn't take a back seat for a year or two. And that reflects on Bronco of course, but when that's the biggest mark against you as a head coach, you're doing well.

Your post begs the question: who do you want to replace Bronco? Why are they more suited for the job?

jacksonman
BLUEshirt

Post by jacksonman »

I don't necessarily want Bronco replaced...yet. I think he has a lot of potential. But I would like to see more emotion from him, the passion that he seemed to have his first few years here. I would like to feel that he has actually overprepared for big games, rather than underprepared. I would like him to be more of a head coach and less of a D-Coord who has to deal with some team wide issues.

So far, he has yet to lead a team to over-performing or at least living up to expectations. It feels like we are consistently under-performing. I still have hope for him but my patience as a fan is getting less thick.

SpiffCoug
TV Analyst

Post by SpiffCoug »

jacksonman wrote:So far, he has yet to lead a team to over-performing or at least living up to expectations. It feels like we are consistently under-performing. I still have hope for him but my patience as a fan is getting less thick.
For Bronco the expectations seem to be to over-perform which isn't really fair to him.

BYU PER W/L Since 1972: 432-76 (.850)
(8.4x
YDS)+(330xTD)+(100xCOM)-(200xINT)
..................ATT
SpiffCoug's posts are BB-8 approved!
Brayden Green
Over-Achiever

Post by Brayden Green »

1. Bronco talks NC, and "best season ever" all the time.

2. Rose doesn't. He just shuts up and let's his players do the talking.

3. Also, Rose loves the fans, and Bronco (up until possibly recently) has shown a strong dislike for them.

Do you really not see that reciprocating back at Bronco, and in favor of Rose?
Last edited by Brayden Green on Sat Aug 18, 2012 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

When Brayden posts Kalani be like: